QE 2 Is this news?

Bollinge

Well, at least she's not renamed "Beth" and heading to Alang.

It will be interesting to see if the workers will be housed on board or on land. Her crew quarters were pretty basic compared to those on more modern ships. But then they can easily go ashore on their off days because she won't be sailing anywhere.

My husband and I saw her in port early 2017 on Princess WC. I had no idea what to expect hearing she had been undeveloped all these years. But she is still a beautiful lady!

There was work going on and we were told by excursion guides she would be opening in the next year or so. They also said that area at port was being developed into a hotel, dining, attraction area preparing for their Expo in 2020.

I just saw that one of the new buildings, The Frame, has just been completed. It was under construction when we were there.

I will Google and see if any news on line about QE2. Thanks for posting.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a programme about the QE2 on Tuesday 6th February on Channel 5 at 8pm. "QE2: The World's Greatest Cruise Ship" 1 of 2. Documentary telling the story behind the strikes and looting epidemics in the late 1960s that almost spelled the end of the ship before she was even finished.

The story of the luxury cruise liner is told in a two part documentary with those who helped build it, worked on it and travelled on it.

Concludes next week.

-------------

And on Friday 9th February on ITV at 8pm - "River Monsters: Killers from the Abyss" sets out to unravel the fate of RMS Laconia which was sunk in September 1942.

Well, the wages do not look great! Two of my SIL friends are over there and earning £5000 p/m, but they are skilled mechanics servicing very expensive cars!

No rent/mortgage, no gas, no electricity, no council tax, no food to pay. So it's $500 (£350) to $800 (£550) in your pocket after all your living expenses (which are zero).

Many people who work in the UK, after accounting for their living costs, would think having that much left over at the end of each month was like winning the lottery.

No rent/mortgage, no gas, no electricity, no council tax, no food to pay. So it's $500 (£350) to $800 (£550) in your pocket after all your living expenses (which are zero).

Many people who work in the UK, after accounting for their living costs, would think having that much left over at the end of each month was like winning the lottery.

Never mind the fact that a lot of staff come from poorer countries in the world where they would be very lucky to earn £50-£100 per month in their homeland.

Never mind the fact that a lot of staff come from poorer countries in the world where they would be very lucky to earn £50-£100 per month in their homeland.

The advert was placed in South Africa, how do you know which countries the hotel staff will be from ?

• 6 months later...

Hi Safarigal Its been ages since we met on the Queens in 2017 - we did the QV 75 days this year but envy you the Dubai to Southampton on QM2 in 2019. In the UK there is a "bucketlist" option for March 2019 to do 3 days staying on the QE2 and then transferring to the QM2. Just had an email today, which is why I have been looking at the various threads, but sadly we will still be in NZ and can't swap our plans.

The inside pictures of the new QE2 look good, but its the first time I've seen it written that there is an extra fee for Towels/Sheets and that free toilet paper is provided! The two Duplex and the balcony cabins look good options. Remember them up top with the views while everyone else had windows or portholes, or nothing. And prices are very cheap, especially before the launch in October.

Pauline

We were in Dubai a year ago. The funnel on the QE2 had just a wisp of smoke, so there was some activity aboard. The number of cabins in this refurbishment suggests that the ship was completely gutted to make rooms that will be competitive with contemporary Dubai hotels. I doubt if there will be anything that QE2 past pax will recognize. Our first crossing on the QE2 was in a cabin having just 98 sq. ft. fitted with bunk beds.

There have been numerous photos on various facebook groups. From what I read:

- As others have noted, the lifeboats have been removed (perhaps only on one side?)

- The outside pool has been covered over, due to the opressive heat. Some tenting has been added to make some deck areas more hospitible

- There is limited public access on 1 and 2 Deck. Most open cabins are the penthouses.

- The Lido has been remodeled a bit.

- The QG galley is the only kitchen aboard. Food for other rooms is being prepared by an outside kitchen next to her.

- The Queens Room is a ballroom exhibit space for the hotel and is usually empty and barren

- The Yacht Club is now used for families

- The Chart Room has been renovated (lighter blue paint, new carpet, piano being repaired) but is not often used thus far.

- The Grand Lounge has tables and chairs (I forget if it's for food or just a lounge)

- The shops aren't open yet.

A lot of it is work in progress, and photos of a lot of the rooms look similar but different - even if it's refreshed carpet choices and somewhat different club chairs. But in general, I think it looks more good than bad. I'm hopeful.

And these are my current recollections - so treat it as any dubious hearsay you might encounter.

(I'm not being more specific about the facebook resources both because of CC's policies and the fact that I'm not an administrator of any of the groups and some are private)

I am pretty certain all the lifeboats and davits have been removed. Additionally, it appears that the teak has been ripped up on the Boat Deck and it is covered with... what looks like asphalt roof sheeting.

None of the new hotel rooms have a trace of the original panelling or cabinetry and one presumes the original ashwood lined First Class passageways are gone as well as the entire layout of the hotel accommodation is different.

Make of it what you will... but methinks it takes a lot of squinting (and not just from the relentless sun) to talk about "preservation" of much of what many of us remember and cherish of RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2.

Edited by kohl57

I could be incorrect, but I believe what you see for the decks is what was exposed when the teak was removed, I'm pretty sure they are replacing the teak as has been shown in some new deck photos. As for the original wood paneling, I've seen the photos featuring the original paneling in the first class cabins (like on 1 Deck, which is only partially open) and the Chart Room. I've not seen or read of any changes to the layout itself, aside from changes to the room functions and furnishings.

It looks much more like a Rotterdam refurb rather than a QM hack job. And it's not as if the QE2 hasn't had a series of radical remodels through her history.

- Mark

We were in Dubai on the QM2 April 18 this year. Several people travelling with us had been checking the QE2 hotel website daily, and eventually we noticed that the QE2 Hotel was taking reservations for sleeping rooms starting the days we would be there. Excitement mounted.

Our daily program told us that QM2 passengers would be the first to tour the museum/reception building and the docked hotel version QE2, which would be visible from the QM2.

We were on the first short bus of regular passengers to go. We were interviewed by Al Jezera, which our departing Britannia Head-Steward confirmed was shown on the news at the airport.

We were shown around the fantastic memorabilia saved from the QE2 by a former Cruise Director who was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

We then joined ten or so other QM2 passengers who all, like us,had travelled many times on the QE2, for guided tour of the old ship. We all pretty much approved of the bedrooms, public areas, dining areas, and bars that had been updated, downsized or upsized as necessary for her new life.