Maya Key Question

Willman

I would like to book the "Maya Key Private Island Retreat (RT64)" excursion, through Celebrity. Reviews have been great and it is really convenient.

We will be on the Celebrity Constellation arriving in April. The ship is in port from 10 to 6.

The excursion in states a departure time of 12:30 pm. This does not sound right. Maya Key is a 3 minute boat ride from the docks, and it sounds like these shuttle boats are going back and forth all day. A 12:30 departure time is way to late and would not make it worth the $66.75 price.

Can any confirm the actual departure time (for the Celebrity Constellation) of this excursion? Thanks.

When I booked Maya Key through NCL we had to meet at the dock at a specific time and present our tour tickets in order to board the ferry to the island. Technically the tour duration was four hours, and it seemed that they staggered the arrival times, so I would guess 12:30 is accurate and probably indicative of several different ships being in port that day. You are right, though, that you did not have an assigned return time, so theoretically people who arrived earlier would have a longer time at Maya Key.

If you are to leave around 12:30 and back to the ship around 5:30pm? (Since your ship is suppose to be in port until 6pm), then that gives you around 5 hours.

When we were there a few months ago, we left around 9am and returned around 2:30pm. So we had 5 1/2 hours and although I NEVER wanted to leave, it certainly gives you PLENTY of time there and enough time to do everything you could ever want there from the beach, snorkeling, pool, eating, walking around the ruins, seeing all the animals. This place is by far one of my favorite places to go now!!! LOVE IT there. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

If you are interested in reading a FULL review (and I mean full and long) from our day there with TONS of pictures, you can go here and the review for Maya Key starts at post #290 and goes until post #348...so keep scrolling (especially if you want to see the awesome snorkeling there). :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=8

Thanks for your awesome review. It is probably the main reason I want to go on this excursion.

Leaving at 12:30 would allow us to get settled on a beach chair around 1, then to leave we would have to be a the boat dock before 5 (5:30 shuttle, if there is one, is to close for us). That leaves less than 4 hours of quality time. Not enough time to justify $66.75 pp.

Also, your review says lunch is served till 1, which would give us about 10 -15 minutes to choke down food which has been sitting on the buffet for some time.

The 12:30 departure time makes no sense, the island is right there near the ship, with lots of (I assume) shuttles available.

I have emails in to Celebrity and Maya Key. No response yet.

Only you can decide if the cost is worth it to you. I would double check on the times they have listed though. It just doesn't sound right for some reason. :confused:

As for lunch...every ship that comes there has a different "lunch time" and it depends on your arrival and departure time. Lunch isn't served at the same time for everyone. Like the Carnival Legend was with us there that day and their lunch was from 11-2 (because they arrived later than we did). Our lunch was from 10-1, we arrived first. :) So, you get 3 hours in which lunch is served and you can go whenever you like during that time. No scarfing down food needed. :D They will have a sign telling you your lunch schedule:

PC190597-M.jpg

• 11 months later...

We were at Maya Key last March. At that time it was about 17 dollars to rent snorkel equipment. You also can purchase a sea lion encounter while visiting.

Water, tea, lemonade are included with your lunch. They do have a bar to purchase drinks and a waiter may come to the beach and take your drink order. There is a small gift shop so you may want to buy something from the gift shop.

We take our own snorkeling gear with us when we cruise, as renting costs can really add up for a family of four. We were at Maya Key in January, and I loved this excursions. There is also an add-on (for additional money)to snorkel with nurse sharks. This option was listed as tentative the day we were there, but it did not happen. I am not sure why.

I too have tons of photos from our day at Maya Key to include snorkeling, the beach, the island, the animals, the Mayan temple replicas and cultural center, and the sea lions.

Go to page Page 3, beginning at post #47: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976718

I think it would be safe, but you never know. I personally would not take my Passport with me at this stop. I am not sure where your ship docks, but if it is at Coxen Hole, then you never leave the port area. The small dock to board the boat to Maya Key is within the dock area. Also, I recommend only taking a small amount of cash. Credit cards are good for traveling; if they are stolen, then you are not responsible for paying the charges. I usually take two different credit cards and keep them separate, just in case one gets lost.

The only people on the Maya key island are cruise passengers and the employees.

The snorkel gear was included in the price of my excursion with Carnival. Also there are lockers you can rent where you get your snorkel gear. My husband and I rented one mainly because it was pouring rain the whole time we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The snorkel gear was included in the price of my excursion with Carnival. Also there are lockers you can rent where you get your snorkel gear. My husband and I rented one mainly because it was pouring rain the whole time we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ahhh. That probably explains why the excursion is more expensive through Carnival. Snorkel gear is not included through NCL.

• 2 weeks later...

The cost to rent snorkel equipment with the vest is 25, without vest is 18. I did not snorkel this time. My best friend snorkeled and did the shark excursion. I think the shark excursion was worth the extra 35. She also loved the snorkel trail.

Carnival offers two excursions here, one with snorkelling one with out. We booked the without since we have our own gear,but wanted to make sure we would still be able to. I am assuming so since it is right from the pier, but wanted to make sure that I don't need to change it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Carnival offers two excursions here, one with snorkelling one with out. We booked the without since we have our own gear,but wanted to make sure we would still be able to. I am assuming so since it is right from the pier, but wanted to make sure that I don't need to change it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Oh heavens no, you don't need a tour. It's just right there at the pier. Simply drop in and go. I imagine the only difference (and the reason they might offer another package that included snorkeling) is that it includes the gear. If you have that, no need at all. :D