Carnival/Royal family cruises NCL Jewel - Picture review

mpcaruth

Great Review..loved reading everything. I saw that you brought your own snorkel gear but was wondering if you or anybody knew if we could rent or use snorkel vests at Maya Key. We will have our two girls 9/12 with us and would like them to have vests. Thanks

Yes, they have snorkel vests for rent too. I don't always wear a vest, especially for short swims or near the shore, but I want my kids to wear them. For peace of mind. Plus, there are times when the waves can be choppy, you get stung by a sea critter, you need to empty water from your mask, your eyes are burning from salt water, etc... a vest is a comforting safety cushion.

I bought two vests online for $30 each with free shipping on Amazon. When deflated, they roll up easily and can be put in snorkel bag.

Yes, they have snorkel vests for rent too. I don't always wear a vest, especially for short swims or near the shore, but I want my kids to wear them. For peace of mind. Plus, there are times when the waves can be choppy, you get stung by a sea critter, you need to empty water from your mask, your eyes are burning from salt water, etc... a vest is a comforting safety cushion.

I bought two vests online for $30 each with free shipping on Amazon. When deflated, they roll up easily and can be put in snorkel bag.

I was thinking the same thing as you..my girls are both really strong swimmers but like you said when it comes to water you just never know what can happen and better safe than sorry. I am now just trying to decide if i should buy or rent them..we will have our own snorkel and masks but didn't really think about the vests until I saw all your beautiful pics! Hmmm...decisions decisions, hehe!

mpcaruth: Thanks for the great review. We have always sailed on RCCL, but with son being in Jr. High now we needed to coordinate our cruise with spring break....so NCL it will be for us next month. I was happy to read your comparisons and must admit I still have some concerns. But, after the crazy winter we've had here, I'm sure any cruise will be fine.

mpcaruth: Thanks for the great review. We have always sailed on RCCL, but with son being in Jr. High now we needed to coordinate our cruise with spring break....so NCL it will be for us next month. I was happy to read your comparisons and must admit I still have some concerns. But, after the crazy winter we've had here, I'm sure any cruise will be fine.

I have a feeling that the issues we had with the kids program are limited to off-season sailings. Since you are going during spring break, there should be enough kids for all the kids activities.

We still had a wonderful cruise!

Happy sailing!

i am glad you enjoyed my review!

There is even a newer model: Zs25. So you may be able to get a deal on the zs19 now. It's a great versatile camera. Although the aquapac bag is a little awkward to use in the beginning, it is a inexpensive alternative to having two cameras (everyday and waterproof).

i just recieved my zs19, can't wait for my cruise. Thanks for the info i LOOKED INTO THE ZS20 AND SZ25 BUT THEY DIDN'T GET GOOD REVIEWS. SO I THOUGHT IT'LL BE SAFE TO GO WITH THE ONE WHOSE PHOTOS I SAW.

Edited by EBONI325
LEFT OUT SOMETHING

i just recieved my zs19, can't wait for my cruise. Thanks for the info i LOOKED INTO THE ZS20 AND SZ25 BUT THEY DIDN'T GET GOOD REVIEWS. SO I THOUGHT IT'LL BE SAFE TO GO WITH THE ONE WHOSE PHOTOS I SAW.

Awesome!

A few pieces of advice for the camera:

1-I like to set the camera to Shutter-Priority at 1/200 when I am not planning to take a picture. The speed allows me to quickly pull the camera out of my pocket and capture a candid shot without blur.

2- I rarely us the "Intelligent-Automatic" setting, but will use the preset modes (sports, landscape, underwater).

3- Use the manual to learn how to use the built in HDR function. I discovered this after having the camera over over 8 months. This setting took some great photos during our sunset harbor cruise in NYC this past summer.

4- You can tap the view screen on the spot you want the camera to focus. (Great for short depth of field and focusing on a specific object in the foreground and blurring the background)

Enjoy your cruise, and take lots of photos!

Great review!

Thanks to you, I just bought a new camera and Aquapac. :D I've always had underwater cameras for snorkeling but I hate the horrible blue haze that always accompanies point and shoot underwater cameras. I'm excited to get this one!

As for your next cruise...I've not been on the Breeze, but I have sailed Freedom, plus Jewel and Epic. I'd say to give Epic a try. We really enjoyed the Freedom, and actually did the itinerary with Antigua, but the Epic is an amazing ship. My kids love the kids programming, there is a ton to do, and it's like no other ship you've ever sailed. It's the only ship I've ever been on twice.

It has all the things you liked about the Jewel, but with the bells and whistles you missed. Truly a great ship.

Great review!

Thanks to you, I just bought a new camera and Aquapac. :D I've always had underwater cameras for snorkeling but I hate the horrible blue haze that always accompanies point and shoot underwater cameras. I'm excited to get this one!

As for your next cruise...I've not been on the Breeze, but I have sailed Freedom, plus Jewel and Epic. I'd say to give Epic a try. We really enjoyed the Freedom, and actually did the itinerary with Antigua, but the Epic is an amazing ship. My kids love the kids programming, there is a ton to do, and it's like no other ship you've ever sailed. It's the only ship I've ever been on twice.

It has all the things you liked about the Jewel, but with the bells and whistles you missed. Truly a great ship.

Thanks for the advice on the Epic. It really does look like a great ship! Enjoy your new camera and waterproof case/bag. I am not sure if your camera has a scene mode setting for "underwater", but if it does, then it is even easier to get good underwater photos.

awesome!

A few pieces of advice for the camera:

1-i like to set the camera to shutter-priority at 1/200 when i am not planning to take a picture. The speed allows me to quickly pull the camera out of my pocket and capture a candid shot without blur.

2- i rarely us the "intelligent-automatic" setting, but will use the preset modes (sports, landscape, underwater).

3- use the manual to learn how to use the built in hdr function. I discovered this after having the camera over over 8 months. This setting took some great photos during our sunset harbor cruise in nyc this past summer.

4- you can tap the view screen on the spot you want the camera to focus. (great for short depth of field and focusing on a specific object in the foreground and blurring the background)

enjoy your cruise, and take lots of photos!

thanks for the tips. Hope my photos are half as good as yours.

• 4 weeks later...

So what cruise am I planning next? I have already narrowed next years cruise down to 4 choices:

• 8-day eastern Caribbean on Carnival Freedom (new port Antigua)
  • 6-day western Caribbean on Carnival Breeze (new port Ocho Rios – believe it or not, we have never been there and the Blue Hole & Secret Falls are on my bucket list)
  • 7-day western Caribbean on the NCL Epic (same itinerary as Breeze, but with an extra sea day)
  • 5-day western Caribbean on Carnival Paradise (combine this with a Seaworld/Busch Gardens vacation)

Unless your trying to get a really cheap cruise I wouldn't book the Freedom until it comes out of dry dock with the 2.0 upgrades. Also keep in mind that there are really good deals going on the Getaway and the ship in general is getting some really good reviews. Also there would be lots for your kids to do. I think the Getaway might be more comparable to the Carnival ships that you are use to. (Note: I have been on the Freedom but will not be on the Getaway until October.)

Unless your trying to get a really cheap cruise I wouldn't book the Freedom until it comes out of dry dock with the 2.0 upgrades. Also keep in mind that there are really good deals going on the Getaway and the ship in general is getting some really good reviews. Also there would be lots for your kids to do. I think the Getaway might be more comparable to the Carnival ships that you are use to. (Note: I have been on the Freedom but will not be on the Getaway until October.)

I ended up booking the Carnival Breeze, as we really want to hit Ocho Rios. I had it narrowed down between the 6-day Breeze and the 7-day Epic (both with identical ports of call). It came down to cost and cabin comfort. The Breeze Deluxe OV quad is 230 s.f. and total cost was $1891. The Epic had "Kids Sail Free" promo making the 128 s.f. IS quad around $1700, and the 216 s.f. (inc balcony) $2850. No quad OVs are available on the Epic. There is no way I would spend a week with the 4 of us in the 128 s.f. IS (I read 3 twins are set up side by side, wall to wall, with a fourth bed an overhead pullman).

I could not see myself paying $1000 more for the Epic and 1 extra day of sea. Plus, my daughter said she wanted to go back to Camp Carnival, as 12 year olds on Carnival will be in the Circle C group (12-14), while 12 year olds on the Epic are grouped with the 10-12's.

By the way, the Carnival Freedom will be getting many of the 2.0 upgrades before summer.

I have a feeling that the issues we had with the kids program are limited to off-season sailings. Since you are going during spring break, there should be enough kids for all the kids activities.

We still had a wonderful cruise!

Happy sailing!

Turned out there were 700 kids on board, but my son only went to the kids program once. I don't think he enjoyed the activities on NCL as much as he does on RCCL.

• 5 months later...