Sailing aboard the NOORDAM this November 2017

ancientmarinerjoe

Hi All:

We are going on the New Zealand/Australia cruise of 14 days this November. I'm wopefull that past cruisers can give us some insight on this cruise. We start in Auckland and end up in Sydney. We also have a stop in Tasmania.

Has anyone been on this trip and can shed some light on the shore excursions?

Has anyone used OTHER than Hal for the port excursions?

Were flying out of Lax to Auckland. It's 1 heck of a long flight. Any ideas on hoe to manage the flight? My wife does not take o well for long flights. so I'm looking at NZ airlines. Are they the best for this flight?

When we get there, do you suggest 2 days to unwind and sightsee ot take longer? The same for Sydney. Sorry for all these questions. This will be my wife's longest flight and her "TRIP OF A LIFETIME" , so I don't want anything to go wrong for her and me.,

one more dumb question. Will the Southern Cross be available to view during our November trip? I'm no astronomer. Hell , I have a hard time finding the North star.!

Ancientmrinerjoe.

I see that you are from Florida.

Why not fly to LAX -- stay there a couple of days? Then fly to Hawaii for a couple of days and stay there to rest? Then fly to Auckland.

That is what we had booked many years ago when we had planned an Australian/New Zealand cruise. To make a long story short -- didn't get to do the cruise as DH had a heart attack 2 weeks before we were to leave.

JMO -- just break up the flying into multiple segments both going and coming home.

I did a similar itinerary a few years ago, also coming from the east coast. I flew to LA and stayed over one night before heading on to Auckland. I found that even though it's a long flight, it's not too many time zones west of LA, so that made it a little easier. I took two nights in Auckland to recover, and really only needed one.

After arrival in Sydney I stayed on for another cruise, ending in Singapore.

I would suggest if you're coming back from Sydney you try to break it up even more than just a stop in LA, since heading east is harder than heading west.

Or, keep going west and head home via Europe, making some stops there. There is such a thing as a "'round the world" ticket. So long as you keep going in the same direction, you can do it all on one air booking.

A lot of contradictory info here. There are many time zones between LAX and New Zealand. Almost twice as many as there are between the East and West Coast of the US. But, as the flight is scheduled overnight, you might be able to sleep though some of it. If possible, consider business class from LAX, so you can attempt to sleep reasonably.

Then 2 or 3 nights in Auckland will help you get over the jetlag.

I haven't taken a cruise in Australia/New Zealand, but I have traveled to both country many times and even lived in Australia for a few years. So, here's my 2-cent's worth:

1. These are the things I have done (and would want to do) in the ports you are visiting:

a. Auckland -- The trip to Waitomo Cave might be good. I've been to Waitomo twice and I think the glowworm cave is fascinating. You could also do this the next day at Taraunga (Rotorua)

b. Taraunga (Rotorua) -- This area is known for the geothermal activity--very neat. I'd do some tour involving that. If that doesn't interestd you, I'd do something related to Maori culture.

c. Napier -- Is known for its Art Deco architecture. That's what I most enjoyed about my brief visit there. I'd do a tour that highlighted the Art Deco aspects of the town.

d. Wellington -- We spent most of our time here at the Te Papa Museum. It's excellent!

e. Akaroa (Christchurch) -- Either the Self-guided Day in Christchurch (pretty town and good museums) or the Antarctic Center and Winery Lunch. (The Antarctic Center is very cool, no pun intended.)

f. Port Chalmers (Dunedin) -- Ooh, tough choice here, but I'd probably go for something with penguins. (FWIW, there is a Cadbury Chocolate Factory in Dunedin and the tour there is delicious--pun intended. HAL doesn't offer this as an excursion, however.)

g. Hobart -- I definitely recommend going to Port Arthur. It's an iconic part of Australia's history and a fascinating place. We spent most of a whole day there and wished we'd had more time.

h. Melbourne -- This is actually a place you can easily see on your own by foot or using the tram. My favorite attraction in Melbourne is Melbourne Gaol (Jail). It's where the famous bushranger, Ned Kelly, was hanged. The aquarium is also very good.

i. Eden -- I don't see any excursions for Eden, probably because it's mainly a beach destination. This is the only port on your cruise I haven't been to because we went to other beaches in Australia. But friends of ours really enjoyed it.

j. Sydney -- You need at least 4 days here.

2. Flight from LAX to Auckland

I have made the flight from the East Coast to Australia many times. One time I thought it might be a good idea to stop overnight in LA to break up the trip. BAD IDEA. A one-night stop anywhere doesn't do anything but prolong the agony of the trip. It doesn't provide any real rest since you have to deal with your luggage, another hotel, and airport security an additional time. Unless you can arrange to stop midway for at least 3 days, just fly the whole way at one time. My best advice is to sleep as much on the flight as you can and then once you arrive in Auckland, KEEP MOVING until at least 8pm. Once you get a good night's sleep after being busy all day, you will be over most of your jet lag the next day. Oh, and Air New Zealand is a very good airline for that transpacific flight.

3. How long to unwind?

Personally, I find Auckland a rather boring place. It's just a big city to me, like so many other big coastal cities. I would plan to stay there 2 days to get over your jet lag, but I can't say I'd want to spend any more time there. On the other hand, plan to spend at least 4 full days in Sydney after your cruise. That will give you enough time to see the highlights of the city and include a day trip (via the train or an organized tour) to the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney. If you have more time, you could even visit other places in Australia. I'd be glad to recommend my favorites!

4. The Southern Cross

You won't have any problem seeing this constellation. I clearly remember the first time I saw the Southern Cross--amazing! It's pretty obvious to see, but you can always use one of those astronomy apps on your phone to help you locate it.

Just got back Feb. 14th aboard Noordam. Did cruise in reverse Sydney to Auckland.

From Boston with stop in San Francisco

Agree with poster "get it over with" on flights. By time you book LA hotels get there, semi-unpack, repack, get to airport, security, etc. etc. .I got to Sydney two days in advance at 9:30 AM, requested and got early check in, showered, went to bed, slept 4 hours, did a little walk around, had early dinner and went to bed and was in good shape next morning (I am 81 years old) I booked economy plus seats and found extra money well spent (can't afford Bus. Class)

Highly recommend Tank Stream Hotel in heart of Sydney.(yes, that's the name, modern up todate)

Used Viator for all my shore excursions in Hobart and all ports in New Zealand. All were good and half or less the price of HAL's

We flew from Tampa to Auckland, via LA, a few years ago. I would never do it in one long trip again unless I was in business class. There wasn't an economy plus eight years ago on Quantas, at least I didn't know about it. However, a couple aboard the plane had wisely booked the twin seats in economy, and they were able to sleep. We could not because we were jammed in on all sides with people and reclining seats. If the aircraft has twin seats, book them!

First, you do have to go through security again in LA if you are coming from a domestic flight. The international terminal, at least back in 2008, was a different building. Not only that, our luggage had to be rescreened. So you don't avoid a second security check.

Secondly, if you choose to overnight in LA, instead of thinking about it as just "drawing out the trip", plan to see something in LA and look upon it as another tourist site. I also like the idea of staying over in Honolulu and, certainly, there is enough to see there.

As for Auckland, we sailed that same day, but I had learned about showers in the airport. We were able, for a small price, to get a towel and soap, clean up and change clothes. After we did that, the world was brighter.

Bottom line, we will never, ever take that long a flight without either stopping over or flying business class.

We live in Australia and did the same cruise you are doing from Auckland to Sydney. Definitely stay in Auckland at least 2 days before you sail. Stay in the City area as it is a good walking city. A taxi to the port is not expensive. Walk around the Wynyard Quarter fish market area or do a hop on hope off bus of Auckland. As far as ship tours we only did one ship tour as we fly to New Zealand often. Look into the North Island tour that covers Rotorua( think it is Tauranga) you have to do a tour of the geysers ect.

Napier- we did a wine tour with Holland America Cruise Line- a great tour.

Picton- great for Green lipped mussels go to Oxley Pub for great seafood. Not much in town to do but seafood is great at the Oxley Pub.

Akaroa- we love this port. Great to walk around, a beautiful place.

Dunedin- Port Charmers -Has the Cadbury Chocolate Factory if you like chocolate. A nice walk around town.

Melbourne - Do a tour to see Melbourne

Burnie Tasmania- depends what you want to see if you do a tour.

Sydney- definitely stay at least 2 days after your cruise. We spoke to a lot of USA people on the cruise and they were disappointed that they flew back home after the cruise and did not stay in Sydney. Stay in Sydney for a few days for sure. Let me know if you want any more info on the cruise or where to find free wifi.

Hi All:

A G R E A T big Thanks to all .

Nancy and I really appreciate all the great replies and experience that was put on my query .

We are really excited with all that super info we got.

I'm starting to look at the different places to visit .

I think this is the start of a wonderful experience for us. Thanks again guys and gals.

I really believe that the Cruisers on H.A. are great people and are willing to share there experiences.

I want to take that night walk UP on the bridge in Sydney. It's on my bucket list.

HI:

Just got a blurb about Tahiti or Fiji as a layover then onward to Auckland. That is getting my wife excited about that kind of EXTRA layover. Wow ! This is really getting my wife and I excited.:cool:

Has anyone done that kind of trip ? I wonder how long he trip to Tahiti or Fiji is.? If we could brake up all that flying , then I'm for it. :D

Just listening to all you wonderful travelers talk about all those hours in an airplane makes it a good idea. My wife does not want to fly direct to Auckland..

I hope I'm making sense of all this.:confused:

Ancientmarinerjoe

First, you do have to go through security again in LA if you are coming from a domestic flight. The international terminal, at least back in 2008, was a different building. Not only that, our luggage had to be rescreened. So you don't avoid a second security check.

That's still the case; Tom Bradley International terminal (TBIT - west side of the airport) handles the majority of international flights, but there are exceptions. Terminal 2 no longer has a major U.S. airline (it used to be Northwest's terminal) so Air New Zealand, among others, operates out of there

https://www.airport-la.com/info/terminal_map.html

Edited by Copper10-8

COPPER 10-8

Thanks for that info. I wonder If we could just send our bags ahead of time via UPS or FEDEX? that way all we carry is an o/night bag. Should be a lot quicker.

Ancientmarinerjoe

Sending your bags ahead to Auckland would be an interesting option. Of course, you would have to find a local operator/handling service that would accept and store that stuff until your arrival and subsequent pickup

Another way & I consider even better break in your trip to Auckland NZ.

Depart LAX only on a Saturday after 11pm on Air NZ to Raratonga - Cook Islands.

It is only a 10 hr. flight & you arrive around dawn into a beautiful tropical island.

The locals are much friendlier that the Tahitians & they use NZ currency & you will not pay Tahiti prices.

Then daily flights onwards to Auckland.

Note : when onboard Noordam - do not complain to Aussies & Kiwis about your long trans Pacific flight - or you will be ear-bashed on how many flying hours from NZ & Aust. to UK.

Hello, tried to post a response but I get it got refused?

Okay, we did this cruise in reverse a year and half ago. It was a blast! I loved the tour I took with Pamela @your local chauffeur. It was a wine tour in the port of Picton. She took us to at least 6 wineries and a chocolate shop! We had lunch at a great winery. It was wonderful. It was a small tour 6-8 people.

My second favorite tour was in Tasmania with Heather. She works with Lets show you Tasmania. It was so much fun to feed and play with the kangaroos. It was an all day tour and very well done. It was also a private tour.

As far as the flight, we flew from San Antonio to Sydney. It was an easy flight. We stayed three days in Sydney and loved it. On the way home we stayed in Auckland overnight. That was enough for us. We had many good tours. We did not take any tours with HAL. Check the roll call and make friends. You can get on some awesome tours pretty reasonably. Have a fun trip.

Andrea

We did an extensive cruise down that way too - 28 days -and agree this is a long flight and we were coming from the west coast.

We looked at breaking up the flight with a few days in Fiji or Tahiti - and there were even good airfares to do this, but we could not get the flights to match our cruise departure schedule. Air Tahiti Nui I believe which reqired a three day layover but did not fly out every day.

The other thing we did not pay enough attention to when looking for the cheapest flight (to Sydney for us) was the noticeable difference in seat size and leg room offered by the different airlines. I believe Qantas was the best but also a few hundred dollars more. So you might want to choose your air transportation choice after investigating in flight comfort options if you can't spring for more than economy.

Naturally the best long flight option is business or first class, but this is a budget killer for us. We enjoyed our cruise in this part of the world very much. One other option is to make it an even longer cruise since you have to commit to such a long plane fight to get there and take in the swing through some of the South Pacific islands too if this can combine to be a "collectors cruise" - I'll de Pins has to be the prettiest place on earth.

We did HAL shore excursions and enjoyed them all - they were pretty extensive with train rides and the Port Author prison in Tasmania. Believe it or not the very best and also quite expensive was the tour to "Hobbit Town" where they filmed the outdoor scenes. We did this as a throw away because we had been to Rotarua before but it was utterly enchanting to see how they kept the scale and magic of the little movie folks who "lived" quite believably in this town.

I also recommend adding the extra days up front to start the jet lag decompression process before you start the cruise. I hate wasting full cruise days wanting to sleep, but rather do this in the departure city. You are just about turned upside down time wise - night is day and day is night. Besides being upside down on the planet (ha -take that AUSNZ) and upside down season wise too.

Have you also thought about going "the other way" across Europe and Asia? Some times it is six of one and half a dozen of another when it is a trip to "down under". Maybe a stop over in Dubai or some other place warm and exotic?

Raratonga is the southernmost of the Cook Island group. It is a high island & has a 25 mile road right around. You do not need a car as there is an hourly local bus in each direction. The very friendly locals speak English. Some years ago there were 3 lady mayors running the local councils with strict rules for every local in relation to their homes with regular inspections. Everywhere was neat & tidy - not very common in the S.Pacific.

Apart from the weekly air service to LAX there are daily flights to Auckland, Brisbane & Sydney & other small plane services to the other Cook Islands. There are only a few medium range hotels plus various other local accommodation, homes & places to rent.

Everything will cost you less than half what you would pay in French Polynesia.

Local Black Pearls are available. Cruise ships occasionally call but have to drift off & tender. Strong SE Trade winds often prevent tendering. The island has the typical white sand beaches inside the reef with the swaying palm trees all around & are easily explored using the bus.

Another way & I consider even better break in your trip to Auckland NZ.

Depart LAX only on a Saturday after 11pm on Air NZ to Raratonga - Cook Islands.

It is only a 10 hr. flight & you arrive around dawn into a beautiful tropical island.

The locals are much friendlier that the Tahitians & they use NZ currency & you will not pay Tahiti prices.

Then daily flights onwards to Auckland.

Note : when onboard Noordam - do not complain to Aussies & Kiwis about your long trans Pacific flight - or you will be ear-bashed on how many flying hours from NZ & Aust. to UK.

Agree with suggestion to make the Cook Islands your stopover en route. It is our favourite stopover. If you have time, Aitutaki is well worth a side trip. With stopovers, the journey becomes part of the trip.

Agree with suggestion to not overnight in LAX. We used to, but stopped once going through US Customs became a nightmare! You need a minimum of three nights for a stopover anywhere to be a relaxing break.

WOW. Good answers to lots of my questions. My wife is really interested in RAROTANGA , so I'll start looking into hotels and maybe ITUTAKI. I'm on her login.:D

I wonder how long it takes to go from the cook Islands to Auckland. I want 1 day(at least) for that part of the trip. That way I have some extra time built in to relax and then catch the NOORDAM .

As for port excursions. Is there anyway we can get "other" tour operators(that you know) that we c an use when we hit these port? I'm a fisherman , SSSOOOOOOOO , I want to get some fishing in at some point.:p

So much to learn and so little time.

Anything special hit you guys on any of he ports you visited?

one more dumb question. Where is the meet and greet blog?

ancientmarinerjoe

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at Raratonga. Just the name , R A R A T O N G A has My honey excited. Seeping sand beaches with o/hanging palm/coconut trees , Sweeping views , soft gentle breezes. Decompressing after that 10 hour flight , will really have us in "THE MOOD" for a great time. After all this it's on to Auckland and a great cruise. We got some great private tours in the listings above . Wow. Great people cruise HOLLAND and cruise Critic.:)

Now I hope Cruise Critic gets the Meet and Greet up for our 11/6/17 cruise on Noordam. Can't wait to meet more cruisers and have lots of fun meeting more people. I just know we will get lots more info to make this a trip of a lifetime.

Nancy is worried that my climbing that SYDNEY bridge will be to much for this 78 year old body. I hope not , as this is my bucket list.

Has anyone done that bridge climb? Is is harder is done after dark? I'll bet the views AND the photos should be wonderfull. Can't wait to hear all your insights about that. :)

Ancientmarinerjoe:p

WOW. Good answers to lots of my questions. My wife is really interested in RAROTANGA , so I'll start looking into hotels and maybe ITUTAKI. I'm on her login.:D

I wonder how long it takes to go from the cook Islands to Auckland. I want 1 day(at least) for that part of the trip. That way I have some extra time built in to relax and then catch the NOORDAM .

ancientmarinerjoe

An Air New Zealand flight from Rarotonga to Auckland is approximately 4 hours 30 minutes.

• 3 months later...

HI All:

Any help in self guided tours @ each stop on this cruise?

After researching all this, I realize that were novices on guided(?) tours @ each stop. I don't want to get burned and is the ship,etc.

The tours offered by HAL are just to darned expensive for three of us. OUCH!

Were looking to hook up with tours that other HAL shipboard guests will be on.

We hear that watomo(?) is a place to visit.

WE especially want to see the original MAURI village and GREETING are one highlight we don't want to miss.

ancientmarinerjoe