Single Name in Passport

croissantgirl89

Hi All, I’m going on an Alaska cruise (Ruby Princess roundtrip from Seattle) next month with my family. My dad who is an Indonesian citizen, only has a single name in his passport (e.g. Timothy). It is very common in Indonesia for people to only have a single name.

Our travel agent (Australian based) booked his reservation with his single name repeated in both the first name and last name field (i.e. Timothy Timothy). I have also contacted Princess Cruise separately (the Australian office, where I reside) and the customer service rep confirms that the single name is to be repeated in both the first name and the last name field. She proceeded to send me an email about this so I have a written confirmation:

“If making a booking for a guest who only has one name (i.e.: they do not have a first name and last name), you must enter the one name in both fields of the booking. The guest must be advised to bring two forms of government issued identification with them for check-in at the wharf (e.g.: passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate). “

I was not able to contact the Princess office in the US from here and I hope that the information I received from their Australian office will apply for our Alaska cruise. Since it is our first time cruising to Alaska, I would like to ask if anyone have had any experience about single name reservation with their Alaska cruise. I understand that the cruise line and the CBP is very strict about having the reservation name match the passport exactly.

FYI, in his US Visa, my dad’s name is written as: First name “FNU”, Last name “(his single name)”. All our flight bookings within the US and Canada are booked with FNU as the first name, and his single name as the last name, as confirmed with each airline that we're flying with. I was wondering if this would apply for cruise booking or will the repeated single name be acceptable?

Also, besides passport + US visa + Canada visa (and an extra Government issued ID for dad as advised above), are there any other documents that we need to present (like any vaccination certificates etc)?

Thank you so much in advance.

To add humor, my DW used to be an Elementary School teacher and once had a young lady student whose name was "female" which was pronounced "fa mal a" . When she asked the girls mother about the unusual name her mother said that after she was born somebody had written "female" on the chart...so she just used that as the name.

Hank

Hi All, I’m going on an Alaska cruise (Ruby Princess roundtrip from Seattle) next month with my family. My dad who is an Indonesian citizen, only has a single name in his passport (e.g. Timothy). It is very common in Indonesia for people to only have a single name.

Our travel agent (Australian based) booked his reservation with his single name repeated in both the first name and last name field (i.e. Timothy Timothy). I have also contacted Princess Cruise separately (the Australian office, where I reside) and the customer service rep confirms that the single name is to be repeated in both the first name and the last name field. She proceeded to send me an email about this so I have a written confirmation:

“If making a booking for a guest who only has one name (i.e.: they do not have a first name and last name), you must enter the one name in both fields of the booking. The guest must be advised to bring two forms of government issued identification with them for check-in at the wharf (e.g.: passport, driver’s licence, birth certificate). “

I was not able to contact the Princess office in the US from here and I hope that the information I received from their Australian office will apply for our Alaska cruise. Since it is our first time cruising to Alaska, I would like to ask if anyone have had any experience about single name reservation with their Alaska cruise. I understand that the cruise line and the CBP is very strict about having the reservation name match the passport exactly.

FYI, in his US Visa, my dad’s name is written as: First name “FNU”, Last name “(his single name)”. All our flight bookings within the US and Canada are booked with FNU as the first name, and his single name as the last name, as confirmed with each airline that we're flying with. I was wondering if this would apply for cruise booking or will the repeated single name be acceptable?

Also, besides passport + US visa + Canada visa (and an extra Government issued ID for dad as advised above), are there any other documents that we need to present (like any vaccination certificates etc)?

Thank you so much in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To add humor, my DW used to be an Elementary School teacher and once had a young lady student whose name was "female" which was pronounced "fa mal a" . When she asked the girls mother about the unusual name her mother said that after she was born somebody had written "female" on the chart...so she just used that as the name.

Hank

Reminds me of the story of a mother who named her daughter Clitoris with a weird pronunciation.