I am devastated

JoJo1973

Well, I just learned something new the hard way. If one person gets insurance and the other one doesn't. And the one that has insurance can't go due to a family emergency (daughter just diagnosed with cancer and 86 year old sister's health declining rapidly) and the other one decides to go, the one that goes has to pay a 100% single supplement = $3000.

$3000 is not a lot to pay if you have to.

Worse is if she goes and needs to be evacuated for hospital care. Or dies on board, and you have to ship the body back home.

And stop blaming Princess for charging a single supplement. All cruise lines do that. You need to read and understand the terms and conditions of passage of your contract before signing.

Can you cancel your cruise? You might be better off at home, in this time of family illness.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Mom still wants to go on the cruise. We will know a bit more in the next couple days when the full diagnosis is available. We're supposed to fly to LA in 9 days.

Princess Cruises has been a nightmare through all of this. This is the second problem we've had (the first being an itinerary change that they should have known about and informed well before the 75 day cancellation window... but they waited until day 57. PRINCESS CRUISES NEVER AGAIN!

When they changed the itinerary 57 days out you had the option to not accept the change and dispute the credit card payment with your credit card service. Princess and all cruise lines wants you to believe they have complete control but they really do not. I have had cruises refunded within the 45 days of cruising because the cruise line broke the contract.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. In the end, my mom decided to go forward with the cruise so I am not stuck with the single supplement nor need to worry about insurance claims.

Diagnosis came back today: The kidney tumor was in fact cancerous but it was so non-aggressive the doctor thinks it was growing up to 10 years. They got it all out during the surgery so there isn't even plans to do chemo or anything... they will do genetic testing and regular scans in the future.

Expat Cruise: if what you said is true I wish I knew that about a month and a half ago. I'm still quite upset about that cancellation...went from the plan to spend my birthday swimming in the most incredible natural pool in Samoa (I had arranged a van and driver to take 13 of us from CC) to having another day at sea... and having $1500+ in airfare to get back to Samoa (it's my goal to visit as many countries as I can...up to 87 now). I would have cancelled in a heartbeat if I thought I could get my money back. Guess I will never know :(.

When they changed the itinerary 57 days out you had the option to not accept the change and dispute the credit card payment with your credit card service. Princess and all cruise lines wants you to believe they have complete control but they really do not. I have had cruises refunded within the 45 days of cruising because the cruise line broke the contract.

Princess did not break the contract which says:

7. RIGHT TO DEVIATE FROM SCHEDULED ROUTE, CHANGE PORT OF EMBARKATION/DISEMBARKATION, SUBSTITUTE TRANSPORTATION, CANCEL CRUISE AND ACTIVITIES, AND CHANGE OR OMIT PORTS OF CALL; SUBSTITUTION.

Except as otherwise provided, Carrier may, for any reason, without prior notice, cancel the cruise; deviate from the scheduled ports of call, route and timetable; call or omit to call at any port or place or cancel or modify any activity on or off the ship; comply with all governmental laws and orders given by governmental authorities; render assistance to preserve life and property; or change the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or disembarkation, shorten the Cruise or substitute ships, aircraft or other transportation or lodging. Accordingly, You should not make any important arrangements or meetings based on the scheduled Cruise, which may change without liability to Carrier.

Like a contract you accept when renting an apartment, the contract is worded to protect the seller (cruise line), not the passenger.

I remember one apartment rental contract that said payments had to be made through the end of the lease even if you died before the end of the lease period.

Just because they put it in the contract does not mean it will happen. As I already said I got a cruise refunded in full less than 30 days out before and one that was about 2 weeks out. Both contracts said I would not get a 100% refund I did. So you read the contract and believe it I have lived the real World truth.

If you park your car in a parking lot or buy a ski lift ticket both contracts have disclaimer saying the parking lot/ resort is not responsible. But yet millions has been paid out in claims saying they are.

Just because they put it in the contract does not mean it will happen. As I already said I got a cruise refunded in full less than 30 days out before and one that was about 2 weeks out. Both contracts said I would not get a 100% refund I did. So you read the contract and believe it I have lived the real World truth.

If you park your car in a parking lot or buy a ski lift ticket both contracts have disclaimer saying the parking lot/ resort is not responsible. But yet millions has been paid out in claims saying they are.

My guess: policies and consumer protection laws may vary based on where in the world one lives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

You seemed to have missed the substantive issue here: only one of the two passengers has any insurance.

If they cancel and rebook, or just cancel period, they are out one person's cancellation penalty.

If only one person cancels, they are out the single supplement.

Do you have a travel agent you are working with? They should be able to help you.

I am surprised that you were allowed to only get insurance for one. I know most cruise lines will not allow that. Both parties have to purchase the travel insurance.

Unless you went outside and purchased from another company.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking at it from a different point of view.

Person A pays their half of a double occupancy cabin ($1500) and doesn't buy insurance. Person B pays their half of a double occupancy cabin ($1500) and does buy insurance ($150). Person B cancels their portion of the cruise and is reimbursed ($1500). If Princess doesn't charge for the second half of the double occupancy portion for the cabin, Person A could essentially book a $3000 cabin for $1650 (if they picked up the cost of that insurance policy for Person B. But, since Princess does charge a single supplement, this prevents people from booking a double occupancy cabin for the cost of one passenger plus the cost of insurance for one passenger ... or a $3000 cabin for $1650. One could book a second passenger to that cabin that never intends on showing up, buy insurance for them and then get your own room?? Maybe couples wouldn't necessarily want to do this but let's say you are traveling with friends or other family members (or a snoring spouse) and want the convenience, quiet and privacy of not sharing a room ... this would catch on very quickly as a way to get your own cabin without paying the single supplement. Nifty little way to game the system, right?? It sounds like it might border on insurance fraud? I don't think that is what the OP was doing ... I'm just saying I understand why she would be charged the single supplement.

Also, sometimes cruiselines actually charge more than 100% for a single supplement (rare but I've read that it does happen) as they know passengers will usually have to spend money once onboard ... they are actually counting on it!

You got it precisely correct. Why would Mom and Daughter take a 28 day cruise together and ONLY Mom gets Princess Insurance? I think this was a plan to go as a single and NOT have to pay for the double occupancy. The cruise lines are well aware of the possibility of solo travelers wanting to do something like this. The OP read her cc for insurance and thought it will work for her when she cruises and she does NOT need travel insurance. Did she not realize how many millions of folks have CC's that say the same thing but they purchase travel insurance. I do not want to say what she did was a scam of a plan, that would be rude to assume especially if she is just naïve and her Mom is ill. I do not want to cast her as a scammer , not at all. I read the post and thought like you did. I was not going to say it until I saw you post and decided that I am not alone in my way of thinking, I am skeptical not cynical.

You got it precisely correct. Why would Mom and Daughter take a 28 day cruise together and ONLY Mom gets Princess Insurance? I think this was a plan to go as a single and NOT have to pay for the double occupancy. The cruise lines are well aware of the possibility of solo travelers wanting to do something like this. The OP read her cc for insurance and thought it will work for her when she cruises and she does NOT need travel insurance. Did she not realize how many millions of folks have CC's that say the same thing but they purchase travel insurance. I do not want to say what she did was a scam of a plan, that would be rude to assume especially if she is just naïve and her Mom is ill. I do not want to cast her as a scammer , not at all. I read the post and thought like you did. I was not going to say it until I saw you post and decided that I am not alone in my way of thinking, I am skeptical not cynical.

+1

If we both thought this as a possibility within minutes of reading this thread, then I am sure the insurance companies and cruise lines have also factored it in to how the prevent this type of situation from occurring. Not all people are so principled when it comes down their pocketbook vs a corporation's bottom line. I am still not indicating this is what the OP did because if so, she probably wouldn't have posted it on here.

That would be rude to assume especially if she is just naïve and her Mom is ill. I do not want to cast her as a scammer , not at all. I read the post and thought like you did. I was not going to say it until I saw you post and decided that I am not alone in my way of thinking, I am skeptical not cynical.

You didn't read the OP's post very closely, if you came away with "her Mom is ill". It's the sister who is ill.

AND the mother has decided to go on the cruise.

Scam?? Not likely.

Not quite. The OP clearly stated that her mother purchased insurance due to her age and concern about potential medical issues. The OP also clearly stated that she did not because she was not concerned about the issues about herself. She also stated that she had not realized that if her mother canceled and utilized her insurance that she would need to pay the solo premium. So you are assigning intent to an error of understanding.

The OP only went to her CC after she realized that if her mother canceled she would be out of pocket $3000. Her CC insurance is actually fairly good. I have used the same CC cancellation coverage for years and just collected on a claim due to my wife fracturing her wrist.

You got it precisely correct. Why would Mom and Daughter take a 28 day cruise together and ONLY Mom gets Princess Insurance? I think this was a plan to go as a single and NOT have to pay for the double occupancy. The cruise lines are well aware of the possibility of solo travelers wanting to do something like this. The OP read her cc for insurance and thought it will work for her when she cruises and she does NOT need travel insurance. Did she not realize how many millions of folks have CC's that say the same thing but they purchase travel insurance. I do not want to say what she did was a scam of a plan

You already did. You said you thought her plan was to go as single without having to pay the single supplement.

I can think of lots of reasons why people's insurance needs are different.

For instance:

One is young, healthy with few responsibilities -- highly likely to embark.

One is older, with health issues, and with responsibilities to others with health issues -- more risk.

Well, I just learned something new the hard way. If one person gets insurance and the other one doesn't. And the one that has insurance can't go due to a family emergency (daughter just diagnosed with cancer and 86 year old sister's health declining rapidly) and the other one decides to go, the one that goes has to pay a 100% single supplement = $3000.

I may have missed the answer to this question my DW had, was the cruise cancelled before or after final payment was made?

Well, we are supposed to depart on this cruise one week from today and sister has taken a turn for the worse. She went home on Tuesday but a combo of the pain and terrible constipation from the pain medication is making my mom feel like she can't leave. My sister (even though husband is there to help) has been asking help from my mom. Apparently a doctors appointment is being set up but I don't know when this will be. I'm also afraid if my mom goes on the cruise she'll just worry the whole time.

So now I have further conundrum since we haven't made a claim to either party (cruise or credit card) because up to the last 24 hours mom still really wanted to go, and not sure if this will be covered... my CC insurance says I'm supposed to claim in 48 hours. So now we have some risk that neither of our claims will be paid. So what to do now:

* Option 1 Make the 2 insurance claims, hope we get some of the money back from either company - so far have paid in full 3000 each plus airfare, 1 tour (paid by Paypal, will try to ask refund but it's a small company), 1 hotel (may be able to cancel this if I do by Monday), so total looking around 6800.

* Option 2: I still go on the cruise - bummer to be alone the whole time. I will have to pay more for stuff (we were going to share hotel room, senior discount I don't qualify), I assume I will lose the perks from her status with Princess if she doesn't go (I have none). My mom said she would pay the single supplement but I don't know if it's best to try to claim on her insurance and then I pay, or if she just does a "no show" and we call it even.

Honestly, my opinion is if we were quite sure we could even get half of our money back, I would go for option 1. If we now have very low chance that we can get any money back at all, then I would go on the cruise and try to enjoy.

Any opinions here? If we do go with Option 2 should we do the claim attempt/single supplement or the no show? It's too late to talk to our travel agent... can't until next Monday.

Option 3--get a letter from your doctor that as of today, she has worsened and that he is recommending that you not go. If you can get medical documentation that she is worse as of today, you would have 48 hours as of today. Being that it is currently Friday night, that's difficult, but.....might help.

Any opinions here? If we do go with Option 2 should we do the claim attempt/single supplement or the no show? It's too late to talk to our travel agent... can't until next Monday.

No opinions. I am just sorry about all of this. I hope things turn around for your sister and your Mom and you feel comfortable enough to go. Maybe things will be better come Monday. Prayers for your family.

Option 3--get a letter from your doctor that as of today' date=' she has worsened and that he is recommending that you not go. If you can get medical documentation that she is worse as of today, you would have 48 hours as of today. Being that it is currently Friday night, that's difficult, but.....might help.[/quote']

Thanks. I found my claim form online and sent it to my mom. Hopefully she can go along on the Drs. appointment and get it then. I think we will try this first.

The bottom line is you need to be smart about your individual circumstances... we cruised since l982. no insurance at all - no problem. We felt we could self insure and did.

Finally when my dh was 80 and I was 65, decided to get some insurance. Luckily we still have not needed to use any insurance, I am 71... my dh is 15 years old and in good health. We only insurance for health emergencies and emergency evacuation - no our trip costs. We have saved a lot of money on insurance over the past 40 years, As I say know you individual circumstances and insurance appropriately. At this stage of our life we buy one annual policy for the two us covering medical and evacuation only for $518 a year. That is it. It covers us for an entire year.

The bottom line is you need to be smart about your individual circumstances... we cruised since l982. no insurance at all - no problem. We felt we could self insure and did.

Finally when my dh was 80 and I was 65, decided to get some insurance. Luckily we still have not needed to use any insurance, I am 71... my dh is 15 years old and in good health. We only insurance for health emergencies and emergency evacuation - no our trip costs. We have saved a lot of money on insurance over the past 40 years, As I say know you individual circumstances and insurance appropriately. At this stage of our life we buy one annual policy for the two us covering medical and evacuation only for $518 a year. That is it. It covers us for an entire year.

"I am 71... my dh is 15 years old and in good health."

I'm sorry, but I think this is the funniest typo I've ever read. LOL :'):')

My TA was very helpful when we filed a small claim. Granted, they are a large office and have an individual who specializes in insurance issues, but they made it totally painless.

As to whether or not to buy insurance, each person needs to evaluate their own situation. I buy insurance because my health insurance specifically excludes any coverage outside of the US. I could afford to lose the cost of the cruise, but I couldn't afford a huge medical bill if something happened. The above post is a good suggestion--I'll need to look at a policy that covers medical, evacuation, and repatriation only.

You also need to consider your other sources of insurance such as that attached to a credit card. Again, I have this but it excludes medical coverage.

My TA was very helpful when we filed a small claim. Granted' date=' they are a large office and have an individual who specializes in insurance issues, but they made it totally painless.

As to whether or not to buy insurance, each person needs to evaluate their own situation. I buy insurance because my health insurance specifically excludes any coverage outside of the US. I could afford to lose the cost of the cruise, but I couldn't afford a huge medical bill if something happened. The above post is a good suggestion--I'll need to look at a policy that covers medical, evacuation, and repatriation only.

You also need to consider your other sources of insurance such as that attached to a credit card. Again, I have this but it excludes medical coverage.[/quote']

You can buy medical with repatriation for a year for 125 to 500 depending on level of coverage. You can also insure for 12 to 50 for a trip, only problem is single trip insurance only covers a max number of days around 15.

There are a few credit cards, such as a united airline card, that cover up to 10k for trip cancelation.

A lady on a princess land tour broke a hip. Her medical and trip home cost 44k. As such we always have med with repatriation, especially now that I have moved over to medicare.

If I haven't post my insurance spreadsheet here, I will.