Maximum size for carry on luggage

newatt_now

I have a 26" Pullman and I prefer to carry it on rather than check it. Do you think it will fit through the scanner?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Don't know your cruiseline - but the max size on DCL for a carry on is 9 X 14 X 22.

Does your bag fit through the scanners at the airport? That's about what the size of the scanners at most ports we've been at.

It would help to know the full dimensions of your suitcase (the height when standing upright normally doesn't matter, as they will lay it down to put through the scanner) AND the cruise line you will be using AND the port from which you will be sailing.

Don't know what cruise line you are sailing on, but a 26 inch suitcase will not go through the scanners on HAL ships.

Just asking but if it is the port of embarkation the security check should be done at the port and not on the ship so I don't think the size of the scanners on board a HAL ship would be an issue.

Does that make sense?

Keith

• 2 years later...

Have seen porters/staff at Fort Lauderdale tell people they have to check bags, even when passengers have insisted the bag will fit scanners. The staff has the final say. They are too busy to measure every bag. Basically, a standard size carryon, like the ones that fit in an overhead, was all that they would allow.

The last time I was at Pier 91 in Seattle the TSA agent wasn't at her post and I had plenty of time to look at the scanner and it looked to be at least 24 inches wide and 16 inches high. BTW the TSA agent never showed up so I just put my items through the scanner myself...then at the last second she said I wasn't suppose to do that, but never required me to put the items through again...I guess I just look to honest?in

On our last cruise there were folks walking up to the ship with large bags about 20" wide and 12 inches deep. The reason they said they take one or two of their larger bags is that they don't want to have their luggage lost...again.

For those who think your bags will be ready by your cabin....ours did not show up on first civilian cruise. The bags were sent to another cabin by MISTAKE and our cabin attendant said he would go half way down the passage way and retreive them. He came back looking like a ghost and said the party at the cabin didn't want to give up my luggage without a fight.

This is from Carnival for our sailing from Baltimore, so your cruise line/port of departure may vary (bold mine):

LUGAGGE INFORMATION Guests are encouraged to limit their luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. Guests must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D),valuables, medications and items which require special handling. Guests who are scheduled to arrive at the terminal before 1:30 PM, usually check their bags with a porter so they can be freeto enjoy lunch on Lido Deck before access to their stateroom is granted. Checked baggageservice is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published departure time. Guestsarriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board. Each checked andcarry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds each, and when lying flat, bags mustnot exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For securityscreening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked

So checked or carry-on, the size limits are the same. We carried all our luggage on our last cruise: back pack, rolled carry-on size, and rolled full-size. No problems with the scanner.

For those who think your bags will be ready by your cabin....ours did not show up on first civilian cruise. The bags were sent to another cabin by MISTAKE and our cabin attendant said he would go half way down the passage way and retreive them. He came back looking like a ghost and said the party at the cabin didn't want to give up my luggage without a fight.

Just out of curiosity how was this situation resolved?

If it will fit through airport screeners, it should fit through ships. To me that sounds too large to fit through either.

As per the earlier post - a 26" suitcase is 26" long. I would be astounded if it was more than 24" wide, or more than 16" deep when laid flat.

In one word - No

Scanners are same as airport.

You can always use 2 carry ons.

The scanners are essentially the same but in my experience the aperture on a cruise port scanner tends to be larger than an airport scanner.

I have a wheeled carrier that stands about 15 inches tall with the handle retracted. It fits through a cruise port scanner standing up.

The length of an item of carry-on luggage should be of no consequence.