Do people decorate their stateroom doors?

tinybiny

I have only previously sailed Disney and it is normal to decorate your stateroom door. I have found that putting up a magnet or 2 makes it a lot easier for me to find my cabin. :o Are the door magnetic and if so, do people decorate their doors?

The doors are magnetic.

Yes, some people do decorate and yes I do too to some extent. We often cruise at Halloween - so use that theme. We're going to do a NYE cruise so will go with that theme.

Keep it simple and not over the top - and yes, a sure way to find your room!:D

I decorate my door every cruise based on the destination or season. Have gotten lots of comments over the years, all good;p, and makes it very easy to find your cabin. I like doing it and think it's a festive and fun part of cruising:cool: Doors are magnetic and I also use small pieces of blue tape which peel off easily and don't leave residue.

Enjoy...

You can and they do. But also be aware that over the years it has been posted on CC that items have been taken off the doors. If you do decide to use the cabin door don't be too attached to what ever you may put up.

I have only previously sailed Disney and it is normal to decorate your stateroom door. I have found that putting up a magnet or 2 makes it a lot easier for me to find my cabin. :o Are the door magnetic and if so, do people decorate their doors?

I wouldn't say it's normal to do ,but I decorate my cabin door every cruise. Usually it's a copy of my cruise critic name and a cactus or flower, sometimes I even put an Arizona postcard or a cut out of a cactus. Never had it stolen off the door, but I don't know who would want a photocopy. Makes it easier to find my cabin door and it's fun and festive. Kind of like my door at home -I always have a different wreath on the door. Julie

We do not, but there are many people who do. The reason we don't is because it's just something else to pack, but if you want to, by all means decorate!! I enjoy seeing people's decorations.

I've heard stories about people having their decorations "removed" by someone (not Princess Staff), so I would never put something out there I would be crushed to lose, but I find it to be a nice way to show your personality.

If DH wasn't such a stickler for the luggage, I would probably bring something along. :)

Have fun with you decorating!!

I'll decorate for holidays--Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, and St. Patrick's Day, so far. We were on a HAL ship earlier this month that included the Super Bowl and Valentine's Day. There were a few decorated doors. My decoration was just a small heart (about 5 inches wide) from the dollar store. I noticed several other doors near ours got decorations after I put ours up. If it's a cruise that doesn't coincide with a holiday, we'll bring a small magnet from our hockey team.

I've mostly seen the celebration decorations/balloons put up by the steward for things like birthdays and anniversaries. I have not seen many self decorated doors. Perhaps it's because we don't usually take cruises with a large number of kids. Personally, it's not something I would do but see no reason for someone so inclined to do so (as long as you don't go crazy ;p)

I remember reading an article once that a cruise line wanted to put a stop to it because using tape, blue-tack and magnets were damaging cruise line property.

Not sure how a magnet can damage a magnetic door.

Yes, I print an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with our Cruise Critic name, map of our cruise, name of the cruise and dates, plus the ports of call. Very tasteful and certainly not a door-sized monstrosity. Hopefully it's not offensive to anyone. Lots of people stop to look at it. And no damage to the door. :halo:

We've never decorated our door. Mostly we've just seen the standard birthday and anniversary things put up by staff. On one cruise we saw several cabins that had the same decoration - a small string of mini-sized red solo cups. We figured they were all in the same group.

Although my cruising experience has been limited exclusively to Princess, I have not gotten the memo that creativity, friendship, and lightheartedness was not allowed when cruising.

Every Princess cruise so far, I've either done a single theme for the entire trip or change door decorations several times, depending on the holiday or port. Decorating my cabin door is fun, and makes me, fellow passengers, and the crew smile, plain and simple. The link below is to some of my past cruise door decoration examples:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49176361#post49176361

A few Princess Door Decorating Tips:

1. Cabin perimeter walls and front door are magnetic. Bathroom walls are not.

2. Magnets work better than poster tack to mount things in the drafty corridors.

3. Try to avoid using tape. Yes, it can be scrubbed off, and the stewards use it to mount the Princess "Happy Birthday" signs, but sometimes you see the old tape marks from previous cruises. Yuck.

4. Gel clings should be avoided since the dye can bleed and permanently stain the wall surfaces.

5. Don't decorate with anything you would be heartbroken if it walked off. I've never had anything stolen, but it's always a possibility with public access.

Hope you have fun with your upcoming Princess trip,

Interesting comments, most of them at least! I've cruised 25+ times, more with Princess than others, and I see door decorations, I find them fun! I do a 8 1/2 by 11 paper, put in a plastic sleeve, glue magnetic craft tape to the back, very easy, doesn't take up space and doesn't harm the door. I've never had one disappear but I always put Susan is Cruisin' on it and can't imagine anyone wanting it! I would not put any of my Packer stuff out though! :D

My recent cruises 25+ days, there were many clever door decorations, my single piece of paper was kind of tame! These were on Princess by the way! :)

I always decorate our door, I get the cut outs from Party City. I've done a nautical them, flip flops and such. We cruise to Mexico a lot and I have some cut outs of that theme, sombreros, maracas, margarita's etc.

When we cruise to Alaska, it's whales. We also cruise every Thanksgiving so I'll do a Happy Thanksgiving sign or a cut out of a turkey. Only once was that stolen, but DH found it down the hall on a crew door so he put it back up on the inside of our cabin door.

I ALWAYS remove them and any/all tape holding it up on the last night.

In Australian waters with mostly Australian passengers I would say that few people decorate their cabin doors. I certainly don't and could never imagine doing so.

Well,Aussieflyer,I agree with you on this topic.

The idea of decorating our cabin door has never occurred to me.

While I do decorate inside my home for holidays and the seasons, I have not been inclined to decorate while on vacation.

IMHO, overly decorated cabin doors remind me of the homeroom door decorating contests that were a favorite activity during my high school days !

We've never decorated our door but enjoy seeing the bits and pieces on doors as we walk along the corridor. Some people make really funny comments which give everyone a good laugh and invite friendship. We've noticed more door decorations when sailing in American waters.