Not really fashion or beauty - what hand/artwork do you take while cruising? Sewist?

mef_57

I know it doesn't quite fit the Fashions and Beauty section, but I don't know where else to ask.

What projects do you take with you to keep hands and creative minds occupied while cruising?

Small project recommendations?

I don't think I have ever been able to pack for travel without packing some sort of handwork 'just in case there is down time'. I primarily quilt these days, but hated my hexi project and have ditched it. I gave up knitting for quilting, but do knit infrequently. Problem is I hardly recognize the pattern abbreviations anymore and a project can take years to complete. I have tried a number of crafts over the years, and do have a small travel watercolour kit.

I have a 9 day repo cruise with 3 full sea days and some ports I have visited before. As a solo cruiser, and an introvert, I will have a good amount of time on my hands and I am looking for a new small project.

Do your your quilts require any handwork? Great time to embroider those.

We’re just off the Splendor Alaska Journeys cruise and had a knitting circle every seaday. Even though it says knitting, several were crocheting or doing other needlework. Met a lot of nice people. There was one gal who crocheted up a whole bunch of kitchen scubbers out of netting. Took her about 10 minutes each.

Look in the needlework aisle of your craft store. Lots of small needlepoint, crossstich and embroidery projects.

Saw lots of people doing Adult coloring books and using sketch books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do your your quilts require any handwork? Great time to embroider those.

We’re just off the Splendor Alaska Journeys cruise and had a knitting circle every seaday. Even though it says knitting, several were crocheting or doing other needlework. Met a lot of nice people. There was one gal who crocheted up a whole bunch of kitchen scubbers out of netting. Took her about 10 minutes each.

Look in the needlework aisle of your craft store. Lots of small needlepoint, crossstich and embroidery projects.

Saw lots of people doing Adult coloring books and using sketch books.

Thanks. (from the other 'Ontario')

Nope, I complete quilts by machine-even binding. I used to make smaller wall size ones by hand watching the kids in the back yard pool, but I now have a plethora of 'Hallmark' quilts (the ones to hang for Hallmark occasions - Valentine's, Thanksgiving, birthday, etc). No more.

These days, things need to be practical or for gifts. Downsizing of 'stuff' is underway. the crocheted scrubbers could be interesting.

I always have a knitting project with me at all times. It even comes in handy if you are stuck and not moving on I-10. Sometimes I bring a drop spindle and some fiber too. I gave up quilting for knitting, spinning and weaving but when I quilted I would bring some applique to work on. I also bring my e-reader with several books loaded. I would love to find a knitting circle on a cruise and I will look for that on my upcoming cruises.

A craft circle could be great between my periods of 'time by myself'. I am swaying to the knitting option as I can also knit while listing to audio books. I have a couple of skeins of alpaca wool complete with photos of the beast that it came from, so have downloaded a nice men's scarf pattern that is one step up from the basic ones.

Did you know you can actually buy 'scrubbie' yarn? Works for bath 'loofah' cloths as well as kitchen uses......who knew?

A craft circle could be great between my periods of 'time by myself'. I am swaying to the knitting option as I can also knit while listing to audio books. I have a couple of skeins of alpaca wool complete with photos of the beast that it came from, so have downloaded a nice men's scarf pattern that is one step up from the basic ones.

Did you know you can actually buy 'scrubbie' yarn? Works for bath 'loofah' cloths as well as kitchen uses......who knew?

Mom once that scrubby yarn. She said Never Again! Lol

I take knitting. This last trip a mindless, single stitch pattern drapery vest that is actually a shawl with two big buttonholes (armholes) in it. (elann's quick and easy vest, if you are on Ravelry). Met a woman knitting neonatal and premie hats for her local hospital; I think she finished one per evening in the piano bar!

HAL no longer puts Stitchers Hour in the Daily! Those looking at RCI cruises I have been told there is a public bulletin board near front desk; I have printed a half-page notice for December cruise.

I crochet & usually make a shawl or two on the ship. I tend to give them to a crew member that’s been especially nice & yes I’ve given them to guys for their wives

How considerate of you. Crochet is one of my least honed skills. My one attempt at slippers were one slipper a size 13 (men's) and the other a size 5 (ladies'). To say my tension was off is an understatement.

I take knitting. This last trip a mindless, single stitch pattern drapery vest that is actually a shawl with two big buttonholes (armholes) in it. (elann's quick and easy vest, if you are on Ravelry). Met a woman knitting neonatal and premie hats for her local hospital; I think she finished one per evening in the piano bar!

HAL no longer puts Stitchers Hour in the Daily! Those looking at RCI cruises I have been told there is a public bulletin board near front desk; I have printed a half-page notice for December cruise.

This will be good for RCI readers.

I just finished a shrug on big needles....it still took 3 years to finish. I have done the preemie hats though. I could go back to those with my spare yarn. I used to deliver the preemie ICU quilts my guild makes. Lots of little bonnets in use. I wished I had not learned who gets the full layette sets :loudcry:<|3

Princess ships have a "Knitters and Natters" session, usually at 9:30

AM, each sea day. Location varies but the last one I attended (last month) was in Crooner's Bar, which had great light and bar access (for coffee...) but was not amenable to rearranging chairs as more folks dropped in - it's a smaller area full of club chairs. More typically these sessions are held in whatever lounge is on the top deck with lots of windows.

I have been at such sessions on Oceania which were actually hosted by a staff member (who gave out free needlepoint kits for such things as scissors holders or glasses cases), but other lines' gatherings are unhosted. I've seen beadwork, crochet, knitting, needlepoint, counted cross-stitch, embroidery, and folks "just chatting" in these groups. There have been discussions on styles of knitting, pros and cons of various brands/types of needles, where are the yarn stores in the upcoming port, "can I take your pattern down to Guest Services and see if they will photocopy it for me?," "I need help with how to do X," and of course "what are you making?" show-and-tell.

The annual Holland America Grand Voyage World Cruise (115 days long!) used to work with Project Linus' Seattle chapter, and would take along donated yarn, needles, and hooks for crafters to make afghans during the cruise. (Often, guest bought more yarn along the way.) On average, 200 afghans/blankets would be made, which HAL would deliver to Project Linus. HAL seems to be wishing to not be associated with this endeavor, or crafting circles in general, any more, which is particularly ironic since many prearranged charter "craft cruises" are on Holland America ships.

Anyhow... I'd highly recommend bringing some knitting along. Thinner yarns are easier to pack and give you more yardage for the size of skein - important if space is tight in your suitcase. I made a fingering-weight shawl on my last cruise and wore it on the final formal night!

Quiltergirl, thanks for the details. Sounds wonderful and how nice to wear your completed shawl. I am on NCL and I think there is a knitter on my roll call. My alpaca is pretty compact. I do carry on only, so yes, size matters as well as sharp tools.

How considerate of you. Crochet is one of my least honed skills. My one attempt at slippers were one slipper a size 13 (men's) and the other a size 5 (ladies'). To say my tension was off is an understatement.

Just make another pair [emoji6]. It has happened to all of us

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just make another pair [emoji6]. It has happened to all of us

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Possibly but that was 40 years ago and I tossed both the slippers and the husband (and I wear size 9). I am wquite sure I could never never have replicated either size.;pI do better with knitting.

When flying I bring my knitting in my carry on. Floss containers serve well as scissors if needed. I have never had a problem with my needles. I bring a cheap pair just in case.

Keksie, since everything comes with me as carry on, I move my snubnosed acceptable size scizzors close to the top of luggage.

Hmm, I can't remember whether stick or circular needles are more allowed on aircraft. I'll need to check my carrier.

Mef_57, I should also have said that I have seen a woman doing a watercolor en plein air, looking out over the back of the ship at a lovely view during a port call, and several people doing sketching. Neither at the craft circle, though.

As for a thread cutter, a pair of nail clippers does a great job, even on thicker yarn that won't fit well in a dental-floss cutter. (I have two nail clippers with the pointy cleaner/file thingy attached, and they've never been a problem in my carry-on, but if concerned that they might be considered a weapon, you might rip out that piece.) If you are worried that your needle(s) might be snatched by security, take a few moments to run a lifeline through your stitches before leaving for the airport - then if your needles are taken, your work is saved.

Also, if you've been away from yarn crafts for some time, you may not know about Ravelry, a wonderful website for knitters and crocheters (and spinners and weavers). It has free (and pay) patterns, lots of help, and (among many other things), a section called "Travelry" which allows members to ask virtually any travel-related question (not just fiber-y ones).

Mef_57, I should also have said that I have seen a woman doing a watercolor en plein air, looking out over the back of the ship at a lovely view during a port call, and several people doing sketching. Neither at the craft circle, though.

As for a thread cutter, a pair of nail clippers does a great job, even on thicker yarn that won't fit well in a dental-floss cutter. (I have two nail clippers with the pointy cleaner/file thingy attached, and they've never been a problem in my carry-on, but if concerned that they might be considered a weapon, you might rip out that piece.) If you are worried that your needle(s) might be snatched by security, take a few moments to run a lifeline through your stitches before leaving for the airport - then if your needles are taken, your work is saved.

Also, if you've been away from yarn crafts for some time, you may not know about Ravelry, a wonderful website for knitters and crocheters (and spinners and weavers). It has free (and pay) patterns, lots of help, and (among many other things), a section called "Travelry" which allows members to ask virtually any travel-related question (not just fiber-y ones).

QuilterGirl, yes, I have heard of Ravelry....I think it came up in searches yesterday, and some quilting peeps keep up their knitting and love the site. I confess of having a lot of UFOs of various crafts in my sewing room, so have made a point of avoiding it....also Craftsy....they will have to wait for retirement:D...but the Travelry section sounds interesting if I can avert my eyes from fun new hobbies and projects.

I signed up for a paint in nature inline class. If life would stop getting in the way, I might manage to get started on it.....then shipboard plein air would be easier.

Thanks for the lifeline and nail clipper tips.

Ravelry has a road trip planner to help you find yarn stores along your route. I believe it is under the yarn tab and then look on the left. I bring circular needles since that is what I knit with. A lifeline is a good idea just in case.

I always take knitting and only ever had (#3 flexible!) needles taken away from me once, in Nov 2001 by someone going by the new book. I had to twist the one inch file off a pair of nail clippers the same trip. I lost a pair of clipper (sans file) to Security in Kathmandu of all places!

Now, I do not take long single pointed needles on trips, preferring circular for ability to stuff in daypack anyway.

There also is a Cruising Knitters forum on Ravelry. Should be Cruising Crafters, of one for the alliteration! It is relatively quiet; just need some more of us to chat it up.

DD flies most times with something, knitting or crocheting and hasn’t had an issue recently. Though she did lose her Tweezerman tweezers to the TSA people in the Panama Airport. She didn’t have any needles with her then but they would have probably been taken. :(

Hi,:) I sail solo as well although I have no artistic blood in me. I will bring a few paperback books with me. What I do on down time? I may read or find an activity offered by the ship (if it is something that appeals to me). But otherwise, I love doing nothing...…….seriously, maybe that makes me boring but I could find a lounger and nap most of the day. (reading/drinking) in between;)….I love it...….doing nothing while on board is part of my personal relaxation while on a cruise (especially on sea days).

• Like 1

I take knitting because it lasts longer than crochet and usually work on a pair of socks and a simple shawl. Also I can knit without looking at my hands so it’s nice for watching people or the passing scenery. A small embroidery project or sampler is also fun. There’s usually a jigsaw puzzle or two started in the Explorers lounge.

• Like 1