Which would you choose?

Lalory77

Any cruise that avoids Cozumel is best

So OP you can see that one person’s perfect port is another person’s too disliked destination. Many people love Cozumel for a stop and would say Bahamas is the worst yet there are many that will defend those stops as enjoyable. We have been to Cozumel at least 5 times and always enjoy it because of the beaches, snorkeling and Chankannab.

You really just have to try them for yourself to see what you like best - opinions of other’s are not going to help you, especially when they don’t tell why they do or don’t like the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So OP you can see that one person’s perfect port is another person’s too disliked destination. Many people love Cozumel for a stop and would say Bahamas is the worst yet there are many that will defend those stops as enjoyable. We have been to Cozumel at least 5 times and always enjoy it because of the beaches, snorkeling and Chankannab.

You really just have to try them for yourself to see what you like best - opinions of other’s are not going to help you, especially when they don’t tell why they do or don’t like the port.

You're totally right. I should have qualified it as "in my opinion". I may now stay on the ship in Cozumel, but I did enjoy the first time I went there.

Any cruise that avoids Cozumel is best

See, I hear this a lot, and it blows my mind. To this day, my husband and I still talk about the stop we had in Cozumel. We LOVED it! We grabbed a taxi at the pier and went to Chankanaab and went snorkeling all day, and then ate the most incredible ceviche. We had a great time.

It's all so subjective. What's your fave port, since you clearly don't like Cozumel?

See, I hear this a lot, and it blows my mind. To this day, my husband and I still talk about the stop we had in Cozumel. We LOVED it! We grabbed a taxi at the pier and went to Chankanaab and went snorkeling all day, and then ate the most incredible ceviche. We had a great time.

It's all so subjective. What's your fave port, since you clearly don't like Cozumel?

A toss up among all the ports in the Med.

But, if you're asking about the Caribbean, probably Grand Cayman. Maybe St. Thomas. Perhaps Belize.

I think I'm maybe more tired of Cozumel because it seems we have been there a dozen times. I know they're all tourist traps, but Cozumel just seems to stand out.

Like I said, we had a great time the first time we were there over 20 years ago.

Don't know why people are jumping on the I hate Cozumel bandwagon. Everyone knows that Freeport is the worst port stop, followed by Nassau. ;) This is backed up with this article when NCL decided to eliminate these two ports in favor of Cuba.http://www.tribune242.com/news/2017/feb/08/cruise-line-drops-nassau-freeport-favour-cuba/

Horizon all the way. Brand new ship and it's an 8 day cruise. I loved St Kitts and St Maarten when I was there. St Kitts was really cool with the black sand beaches.

When was the last time you were in St Maarten? The hurricane last year was truly devastating and many of the beaches like Orient have no facilities. Simpson Bay and Maho are open but very very crowded. But for a desire to see the devastation (I had been prior to the storm) and help the economy, we would have stayed in the ship. We tried to take a local catamaran trip but they could find 4 more to make a party of 8 because so many of the hotels are still shut down so it was cancelled. We got a local cab driver to tour us instead.

The island is still truly a disaster and would be at the bottom of my list - if I am looking to do activities Freeport holds better options and that is saying something!

What you didn't mention was the relative price. That would factor into my decision. Other things equal the Eastern 8 day itinerary is better.

But let's discuss the state of the islands. St Maarten, perhaps our favorite island in the entire Caribbean, is still in very tough shape, especially the French side. Phillipsburg is pretty much back to normal but others are correct in that the redevelopment of the French side will probably take another year or two. It was wiped out totally.

St. Kitts did not get hit in any meaningful way and is totally fine. And from a tourist perspective, San Juan is fine as well even though the rest of the island remains in pretty tough shape.

I personally will choose none of these.

Magcs is a better ship but the itinerary is far from being exciting IMO (I wouldn't look at any Western itinerary without Cayman).

Horizon: for the ship of this grade I would look for at least three great ports. I only see two (Grand Turk and St. Maarten).

I would continue my search.

Interesting. What is it you dislike about St. Kitts and San Juan? I've been to each many times. Love the people, love the tourism options. Both beautiful places.

Let me add one thing to that. Our countrymen in San Juan truly need our tourism dollars. So there's that factor as well.

Having a hard time choosing between these 2 cruises. Would love some opinions on which you would choose and why.

The first is Carnival Horizon and the itinerary is Eastern Caribbean- 8 nights

Start: Miami Grand Turk San Juan St. Kitts St. Maarten End: Miami

Next is on Carnival Magic and the itinerary is Western Caribbean-7 nights Cozumel plus

Start: Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cozumel Belize Mahogany Bay Costa Maya End: Port Canaveral (Orlando)

The difference between them being 7 or 8 nights really isn’t a factor to me nor is the starting port. I’m more interested in nicer ship, better ports, etc. Both are the first week of December. All advice and opinions are welcome and much appreciated :)

Option 1 is nicer ports and ship