Flights miami

dgm9610

Our rule is never before 1200pm. Most of the time we book flights around the 1pm time. Rather wait a little extra than miss the flight. MIA is about a 20 minute drive. FLL is 45 minutes to an hour drive. FLL can be a nightmare depending on how many ships are in port that day.

I get flights after noon because, if it's earlier, I'm the type that will start to worry about it the last day or two of the cruise. But even then, things happen. I got off the ship and through customs so late last time (just after noon, and it was in Port Everglades, not Miami), there were no taxis around to take me to FLL, and the Lyft driver couldn't find my cruise terminal. Even though I had a 1:20 flight, I was still scrambling to get to the airport and make it--they put me through the special security line when I told them. So, from now on for me, self-assist, and flight after noon. I'd rather sit and read at the airport than be running down corridors.

You will have those that say they've made morning/early morning flights. Don't be one of those, you would be adding stress to the last day of cruise.

The cruise lines say after noon for a reason. Too many things can go wrong medical emergency, weather, engine problems, customs delays.

Much rather wait at airport than scramble/rush to get there.

I always take an early flight from Miami. I am Platinum, do self assist, grab an Uber, and have TSA Precheck. I also travel light with a carry on sized suitcase and under seat bag in case I’m cutting it close and don’t have time to check it. However, haven’t had that happen so drop it with the Skycap out front. So far I have always arrived hours ahead of time and no I have never felt stressed. The earliest flight I could have easily made was 8:30am. Typically my flights are around 10:00am. If you get straight off the ship, Customs is short and you beat the mad rush at the airport with no to maybe a 5 min wait for security.

Usually the people that will discourage you from taking an early flight are ones that worry easily, don’t do self assist off the ship so Customs is already backed up, or have shown up to the airport with later flights and they get there at the same time as everyone else so the security lines are long.

I’m not saying that everything will go right every time, but as the rule it will. It’s the exception that it doesn’t. If you are prepared for the “what ifs” and plan accordingly like I do, way more times than not you will be just fine. Be prepared with an alternate plan if things go sideways. Feel free to read my reviews - Vista from last year and Glory from this April (and some of my older ones too) in particular where I also touch on this subject.

I always take an early flight from Miami. I am Platinum, do self assist, grab an Uber, and have TSA Precheck. I also travel light with a carry on sized suitcase and under seat bag in case I’m cutting it close and don’t have time to check it. However, haven’t had that happen so drop it with the Skycap out front. So far I have always arrived hours ahead of time and no I have never felt stressed. The earliest flight I could have easily made was 8:30am. Typically my flights are around 10:00am. If you get straight off the ship, Customs is short and you beat the mad rush at the airport with no to maybe a 5 min wait for security.

Usually the people that will discourage you from taking an early flight are ones that worry easily, don’t do self assist off the ship so Customs is already backed up, or have shown up to the airport with later flights and they get there at the same time as everyone else so the security lines are long.

I’m not saying that everything will go right every time, but as the rule it will. It’s the exception that it doesn’t. If you are prepared for the “what ifs” and plan accordingly like I do, way more times than not you will be just fine. Be prepared with an alternate plan if things go sideways. Feel free to read my reviews - Vista from last year and Glory from this April (and some of my older ones too) in particular where I also touch on this subject.

Just curious - what do you do to prepare ahead of time for a missed flight? Let’s say you ship is delayed a couple of hours into port and you miss that 10 am flight because the ship didn’t get in til 9 am?

We were almost 4 hours late into Norfolk on our return last October and would have missed any flight before about 1230 as we didn’t get off the ship til 11 - with Platinum sled assist. Luckily it is our home port so no flight needed and though we had planned to go to work, we decided against it under the circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just curious - what do you do to prepare ahead of time for a missed flight? Let’s say you ship is delayed a couple of hours into port and you miss that 10 am flight because the ship didn’t get in til 9 am?

We were almost 4 hours late into Norfolk on our return last October and would have missed any flight before about 1230 as we didn’t get off the ship til 11 - with Platinum sled assist. Luckily it is our home port so no flight needed and though we had planned to go to work, we decided against it under the circumstances.

Norfolk is also my home port and as much of a cluster it is here I wouldn’t do an early flight. However, Miami has it down pat as they do this year round, multiple times a week.

The alternative is to take a later flight or maybe even end up going out the next day. If there is an emergency and the ship doesn’t dock in time or whatever, everyone is going to be delayed getting off and the airport will be packed. Depending on how long it takes, even a noon flight can be missed. If it’s an issue with the port itself, then even if your flight is in the afternoon you’re gonna be pretty much SOL anyway between your ship and the rest of them for the mad dash to the airport.

As I’ve said before (and will continue until the cows come home), that is the extreme exception from Miami or even Port Everglades. Now Tampa or Galveston where there is known issues with fog during certain seasons, no way would I cut it close.

I will continue to take early flights and nothing will convince me otherwise. I’ve done it too many times to buy into the hysteria. If one day it doesn’t work out, then so be it. My odds will still have been heavily skewed in my favor. If you know what you are doing, it is EASILY doable. My friends who are one cruise away from Diamond cruise out of Miami and take flights every time out of FLL at 10:30am with no problems at all. Ever.

Norfolk is also my home port and as much of a cluster it is here I wouldn’t do an early flight. However, Miami has it down pat as they do this year round, multiple times a week.

The alternative is to take a later flight or maybe even end up going out the next day. If there is an emergency and the ship doesn’t dock in time or whatever, everyone is going to be delayed getting off and the airport will be packed. Depending on how long it takes, even a noon flight can be missed. If it’s an issue with the port itself, then even if your flight is in the afternoon you’re gonna be pretty much SOL anyway between your ship and the rest of them for the mad dash to the airport.

As I’ve said before (and will continue until the cows come home), that is the extreme exception from Miami or even Port Everglades. Now Tampa or Galveston where there is known issues with fog during certain seasons, no way would I cut it close.

I will continue to take early flights and nothing will convince me otherwise. I’ve done it too many times to buy into the hysteria. If one day it doesn’t work out, then so be it. My odds will still have been heavily skewed in my favor. If you know what you are doing, it is EASILY doable. My friends who are one cruise away from Diamond cruise out of Miami and take flights every time out of FLL at 10:30am with no problems at all. Ever.

So what happens if you miss that 1030 am flight? What kinds of penalties to you incur with the airlines to catch a later flight? Are you booking or using a particular type of fare?

If we were traveling just to two of us, without the kids, and it wasn’t imperative we return to work, I would happily book at 1030 flight from Miami if my next option was 4 pm. So far I have been lucky and been able to leave out around 12 with a relaxing morning on the ship.

So what happens if you miss that 1030 am flight? What kinds of penalties to you incur with the airlines to catch a later flight? Are you booking or using a particular type of fare?

If we were traveling just to two of us, without the kids, and it wasn’t imperative we return to work, I would happily book at 1030 flight from Miami if my next option was 4 pm. So far I have been lucky and been able to leave out around 12 with a relaxing morning on the ship.

Depends. Lots of times I fly using miles and some allow for same day flight changes for as little as $50 fee. However, AA has non stops to/from MIA that are relatively inexpensive so even if I have to buy another ticket, it’s not bad. I also have lots of hotel points so should I need to stay overnight, it won’t cost anything.

The main reason why I take the early flight home is because I leave right from the airport and go to work. If I miss my flight, then they won’t see me that day. Would they be happy? Probably not, but they know that’s what I’m doing. So there’s either a 99.9% chance that I make it back to work on Saturday by taking the early flight, or 0% chance if I book a later one that has a connection.

You can't always plan for the exceptions. Often it's not just flight times, but also number of stops, prices, etc. that may influence someone into taking an earlier flight.

As bobs wife said, just do self assist in the first groups, go straight to the airport.

I look at it this way. I can be off the ship by 7am. What time would I leave to the airport if I had a 10am flight? Probably 7:45 or so. So why would I need to take a 1pm flight? Now if the 1pm flight is cheaper, direct, whatever, then sure. But all things equal, early flights are probably less stressful as you skip all the lines and craziness.

We live local and self assist early as possible just to avoid the nonsense.

Ships coming in late or serious delays is by far an exception more than a rule. I think it's worth it for most travelers to take early flights and little risk is involved. If you miss a flight, you do what everyone else does and rebook at customer service.

I'm going to jump into this with a slightly different angle. We were told how horrible it is on disembarkation day in Vancouver. Hours and hours to get through two customs entry points and long lines for cabs.

We self-disembarked in Group 1 getting our final 'ding' at 7:40a. We passed through 2 countries and were seated at the YVR airport gate back 'in America' by 8:30a. One's pace can be breathtaking if you beat the hoards. Two words. Self. Disembark.

The earliest flight I've made out of MIA from the Miami seaport was 8:30AM, and the earliest flight I got on in FLL was 9:30AM and that was from the Ft Lauderdale seaport. Both times I had 11AM flights booked but got to the airports way early and was able to switch flights.

I don't suggest this for anyone who doesn't have diamond walk off, Global Entry or TSA pre check, has carry on luggage only and airline loyalty perks. Both of these airports are basically empty at 8AM, unlike the mad flustermucks that occur as the majority of cruisers and regular pax invade the airport terminals after 10am..

Here is the link to Carnival's web site which has suggested departure times for all ports. You never know when a ship will be late in arriving, or delayed by customs, or have gangway problems.

https://www.carnival.com/airport-transportation/airport-shuttles.aspx

This is not Carnivals "suggested" departure times. This is their requirements if you are to book their transportation.

• 3 months later...
On 7/21/2018 at 9:05 AM, firemanbobswife said:

I always take an early flight from Miami. I am Platinum, do self assist, grab an Uber, and have TSA Precheck...

I’m not saying that everything will go right every time, but as the rule it will. It’s the exception that it doesn’t. 

I'm trying to decide if I should use Carnival transfers or grab an Uber (or Lyft) to get back to the airport.  Our itinerary says we get to Miami at 8:00.  My flight leaves at 12:06.  I have TSA precheck, FTTF and will do self assist. I booked my flight through Fly2Fun.  

If the ship's on time, I feel like I could go either route and be fine.   If the ship's a little late, would I be better off with the shuttle/transfers or Uber?  I don't know if Ubers become in short supply if/when a ship arrives late.

I don't see anything in the Fly2Fun contract about what happens if you don't make it to your departing flight.  Logic says that I'd be better off getting a Carnival transfer since then it would basically be "all on them," but a contract is a contract and they may not help out no matter what if I needed a flight change.

If you are doing self assist, just walk off the ship and jump in a waiting taxi.  I am a big Uber fan, but sometimes a taxi just makes more sense.  You should have plenty of time if doing self-assist.

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

I'm trying to decide if I should use Carnival transfers or grab an Uber (or Lyft) to get back to the airport.  Our itinerary says we get to Miami at 8:00.  My flight leaves at 12:06.  I have TSA precheck, FTTF and will do self assist. I booked my flight through Fly2Fun.  

If the ship's on time, I feel like I could go either route and be fine.   If the ship's a little late, would I be better off with the shuttle/transfers or Uber?  I don't know if Ubers become in short supply if/when a ship arrives late.

I don't see anything in the Fly2Fun contract about what happens if you don't make it to your departing flight.  Logic says that I'd be better off getting a Carnival transfer since then it would basically be "all on them," but a contract is a contract and they may not help out no matter what if I needed a flight change.

Definitely Uber. I would never do a Carnival transfer. They wait until the bus is full and it can cost more than a car to yourself. Uber!

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

" but a contract is a contract and they may not help out no matter what if I needed a flight change.

This is not a shore excursion. If you are late for your flight it's not Carnivals fault and doubt the airlines could care what your excuse is. I would never take a shuttle as they wait for it to fill. Taxis are there, Ubers are close by, once we clear customs call Uber and they are always there in minutes. Make sure you check the "surge" charge at busy times, it can be double fair, if so take a taxi.

1 hour ago, coevan said:

This is not a shore excursion. If you are late for your flight it's not Carnivals fault and doubt the airlines could care what your excuse is. I would never take a shuttle as they wait for it to fill. Taxis are there, Ubers are close by, once we clear customs call Uber and they are always there in minutes. Make sure you check the "surge" charge at busy times, it can be double fair, if so take a taxi.

I agree  the airlines don't care.  Part of why I booked with F2F is that the last time I cruised (through RCCL), I booked air through their F2F equivalent.  The reason was because if there's a flight delay, they'll get you another flight or do their best to get you to the next port if you miss departure.  That saved our trip!  Our flight WAS delayed (couldn't fly in to connecting city).  We called the hotline and they got us ticketed on a different airline within a matter of minutes - we made the mad dash to that gate and made our cruise departure because of their help.  No extra cost to us.

So my poorly-made point was that it would be nice if the same "we'll make it right" applied if the ship was late to arrive and their shuttle didn't get us to the airport on time, but there's nothing in the contract about your flight back home.  So I assume I'd be on my own whether I bought Carnival transfers or used Uber or a taxi. 

Sounds like Uber is my best bet unless there's a surge charge. That's really helpful to know, so thanks.  Firemanbobswife, your comments were helpful too!

Good point, BNBR - will keep that in mind if things get rushed.  

I really appreciate this forum so much!  I've learned a lot from browsing it and people have been so helpful answering questions!  

I've called for an Uber 3x after cruises in MIA and twice the driver couldn't find the terminal I was at or just drove right by.  Taxis are already lined up and the cabbies can get out of the terminal area and to the airport  in a flash without any wrong turns.