Details about ANCIENT CITY OF TULUM excursion

bUU

I'd appreciate some recent details about this Carnival excursion not provided in the description or the reviews:

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel-mexico/ancient-city-of-tulum-304022

Specifically:

Where is the extra hour spent on the Cozumel Plus itinerary? (Hopefully the extra hour is at Tulum itself.)

What folks did for lunch on that excursion, and especially what vegetarian options there might be, and what seafood options there might be?

I've seen some references to bringing umbrellas to beat the heat. Is that really necessary in November?

I reserved this on Triumph in September. They didn't get enough people and cancelled it. I went to the excursion desk and they booked me on the Plus excursion for no extra charge since my excursion cancelled. I don't think the activities on the Plus would have been worth the higher cost. It gives you a cenote swim that I thought was boring and visit to Mayan village where we were served good food but I don't think it justified the high price. As for Tulum, it is spectacular!!! I would call it an absolute must-see. It took over an hour to get to by ferry and bus, but the tour guide kept the bus ride interesting. I highly recommend the excursion.

I reserved this on Triumph in September. They didn't get enough people and cancelled it. I went to the excursion desk and they booked me on the Plus excursion for no extra charge since my excursion cancelled. I don't think the activities on the Plus would have been worth the higher cost. It gives you a cenote swim that I thought was boring and visit to Mayan village where we were served good food but I don't think it justified the high price.
Thanks for the info, but I think we're talking about two different things. The Cozumel Plus itineraries are specific Western Caribbean itineraries that spend more time in Cozumel than the typical Western Caribbean itinerary. There aren't separate excursion descriptions for the Cozumel Plus itineraries. If you read the description of the excursion I posted above, you'll see the following note at the very bottom: "On Cozumel Plus itineraries, tour duration will be 8 hours." So the same description applies, regardless of whether it is a typical Western Caribbean itinerary or a Cozumel Plus itinerary - and it has the same price. Since it costs the same, presumably it does not include an extra visit to a cenote, nor any included meals. My assumption is that we simply spend an extra hour somewhere that is already part of the excursion; I am wondering where.

I can't tell you anything about the Carnival excursion, as my visit to Tuluum was during a resort stay in the area. But I can tell you that if you can make the trek to Tuluum, however you get there, it is well worth it. The ruins are majestic and awe inspiring, perched on the cliffs, high above the beach, with Iguanas lounging everywhere on the hot rocks. The beach itself is the most picturesque location I have seen in person. As someone said, it is hot, hot, hot there, but the sights make it well worth some sweat. I highly recommend Tuluum. Beautiful! My time there remains my single most favorite vacation day.

We just went in September (not on a Plus route). I can say it was very hot and I recommend a change of clothes for the ride back (at least a new shirt). It was high 90’s with high humidity.

Lunch wise there is a little market by the parking lot where bus drops you off. There are several restaurants and bars mixed in and they were reasonably priced. We got some tacos and they were amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have not been through the ship either, but have gone direct while at a resort. As far as the heat it will be very warm, and if you want to carry an umbrella it most certainly would help. It is very exposed and the sun can be very brutal (even in November). There is quite a bit of walking with little shade.

Worth it and very amazing though!

Lunch wise there is a little market by the parking lot where bus drops you off. There are several restaurants and bars mixed in and they were reasonably priced. We got some tacos and they were amazing.
Do you happen to recall seeing any vegetarian items on the menu? How about seafood? Knowing will help simplify our packing for the excursion.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Mind you, I took this excursion years ago.

For me, it took up the entire day. First, a long walk to the transportation (Bus). Then, a VERY long drive to the site, stopping at a selected gift shop on the way. I'm guessing we spent about two hours seeing the ruins, and the beach below them. Then the long ride back.

I really can't say if this is how it pans out today, but, I am glad I saw the place.

Now as far as this port being "Cozumel Plus", to me it's just an extra hour to board the ship!;)

Don't go to eat or buy the things Angel will try to sell you. Buyer beware

EXACTLY! We did this tour during our Journeys cruise early in the year and it was a CONSTANT hard sell by Angel (tour guide) of so many things non-stop.

Angel will "give" you a free photo of you getting off the bus, and then want to sell you a $40 memory book to put it in. The book is about 6 pages of photos of Tulum that you an find anywhere. (try google).

Next, Angel will try to get yo to buy a "ride" on the cable skyway. It was something like $6-8 per person and total unnecessary.. The walk to the entrance was 2-3 minutes.

There were people in costumes walking around and they would stand next to you to take a picture and then harass you to give them $20 for them standing next to you.

Oh..... be forewarned hat you cannot take ANY photographs or videos while in Tulum unless you "buy" a permit. Angel then threatens that you may get arrested and fined if you are caught taking a photo with your cell phone.

No one will tell you that until you get there.

It was a complete turn-off. Why not just add the cost to the price of the ticket?

It's a shame, it seemed like a real "nickel and dime" thing to do.

BTW.. Tulum is interesting and beautiful, but the overall experience was extremely disappointing.

Edited by pratzert

Oh..... be forewarned hat you cannot take ANY photographs or videos while in Tulum unless you "buy" a permit. Angel then threatens that you may get arrested and fined if you are caught taking a photo with your cell phone.

Was this a Carnival rule, or a local rule? I'm curious because I took lots of photos there a few years back. I was not there via a Carnival excursion, but took a taxi there from a nearby resort.

Our guide said it was a "Local" law.

This was our second trip to Tulum. We vacationed in Playa Del Carmen and did Tulum and Xel-Ha. It was about 6 years ago. There wasn't any extra "Tax/Charge" to take picures at that time.

I don't know when they started assessing the charge.

I recall on our most recent visit, that you could buy a permit, or "buy" one of their disposable cameras to use for a hefty price.

Xel-Ha was Fantastic !

From the Carnival excursion description, linked to in the OP of this thread:

• The Mexican government will collect $4 (US) from guests who wish to take a video camera into the ruins.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/cozumel/ancient-city-of-tulum-304022

To carry with you a mobile phone or tablet is just the most common thing to do these days, especially if you’re on vacation. “Selfies” with the Caribbean sea or Maya archaeological monuments in the background are taken by the millions. But starting this year, snapping photos will have a cost. ... This cost was supposed to be included in the new approved 2016 rates, but according to [Julio Villagomez Villalobos, tourist guides’ representative at the archaeological site of Tulum, Quintana Roo], to condition or restrict the use of cameras is not the best decision, since these technological devices are the best tool for free advertising there is. “The rate is 45 pesos per device, additional to the 65 pesos ticket, which hits directly on the national traveler’s pocket”, he said. This new charge has been published in the Official Gazette (Diario Oficial) and approved by the Secretariat of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP).

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2016/01/want-to-take-a-selfie-at-tulum-it-will-cost-you-extra/

So the charge was official; the private tour guides weren't happy about it. And apparently, the officials on-site are not completely consistent with regard to assessing the fee. Either that or the fee for still cameras didn't last long after it was introduced in 2016.

Regardless, if it remains, it is a government fee, so I'll hand that fee over to government officials, not a tour guide.

Thing is, most modern cameras make vids, so I'm not sure this law is enforceable Would have worked back when video cameras were the size of a shoe box. :-)

Back to the subject. I'm not sure I would do this excursion via cruise... but that's just me. Much of the day would be spent getting there and getting back. I can easily see close to two and half hours getting there and the same getting back, with the wait, the 45 minute ferry ride, the wait, the 45 minute bus ride, and then in reverse. I dunno.

Much of the day would be spent getting there and getting back.
That's true of all the Mayan ruins excursions worth visiting - this one seemingly with the shortest drive-time among those. So if visiting ancient sites is your thing, Tulum seems like the best bang for your buck, time-wise.

A year ago July we went on a slightly different Tulum and beach excursion though Carnival. Ours was NOT a Cozumel+ visit. I think that started shortly after we went.

On our tour we rode the air-conditioned bus up to Tulum. Guide gave a funny and interesting talk during the trip. Got there and yes, lots of "shopping opportunities" lol. Little shopping village on the way into the ruins but thankfully, one of the things they were selling was frozen bottles of water. I'd get 2 if I did it again. Rest was typical touristy stuff and I bought some of it just because I love doing stupid touristy things when I'm a tourist. We got the souvenir photo book with picture of us by the bus. I know it was a silly price but I don't remember it being 40 dollars.

Guide took us into the ruins and explained everything and it was a LOT of walking in very hot sun so yeah, that umbrella idea is a good one. I had a hat with a brim all the way around so that helped me a lot but an umbrella woulda been even better. Maybe one of those umbrella hats so you have hands free to take all those pictures - which I do not remember paying extra for. I took a ton of pics with a regular little point and shoot. Nobody even asked if it could do video (it couldn't so it wouldn't have been an issue anyway). After walking us through the ruins we had maybe a half an hour to explore on our own then met up for the walk back to the bus.

About half-way back to the port we stopped at a little beach resort - very pretty, nice sand, beautiful surf. Building was well-kept. We ate a buffet style lunch with rice and beans and tacos and chips and salsa and some other stuff - some fruit and salad offerings. Nothing spectacular but it was tasty and all we could eat (which is a lot for me as I consider myself a gifted amateur buffet eater). And the beer was on the house - I sampled all the local beers and had no complaints. Then we loaded up and most everybody was pretty wiped out from the heat and food and exploring so there was a lot of snoring the rest of the way home. Much of it mine.

All in all I had a wonderful time and would recommend it to anyone capable of doing it. I am out of shape and it wore me out but it was very worth it to me.

None of which really answers your questions as I am positive mine was a slightly different excursion that the one you linked but I hope you get to enjoy Tulum as we did.

That's true of all the Mayan ruins excursions worth visiting - this one seemingly with the shortest drive-time among those. So if visiting ancient sites is your thing, Tulum seems like the best bang for your buck, time-wise.
Can't argue that. And I would NOT try to talk you out of doing the Tuluum excursion, since the site is gorgeous, historical, and more than worth seeing. I just think a cruise excursion isn't the best way to do it. Tuluum deserves a longer visit. That said, I hope you get to go. You'll love it. You'll just wish you had more time there. Perhaps you'll be inspired to spend several days at a nearby resort in the future, so you can take in Tuluum and other sites in Quintana Roo at your leisure. Cruises are great and I obviously love them. But sometimes it's nice to not be rushed. But I'm getting off subject. My apologies. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

• 9 months later...

I'm going in November and want to thank everyone for their input. Just one question...why in God's name would you go to Mexico in July :'):'):'):')? I thought people were nuts for going to Disney World in July; I can't imaging going to Mexico in July. I'm from south Alabama and go to warm places in the fall/winter and cold places in the summer LOL

Reflexively, hot places in summer and cold places in winter will be bargains, and that will appeal to those driven more by price than by the enjoyment of the contrast between the seasonal climate where they live and that of their vacation venue.