Best Way to Depart Ship - FLL

RocketMan275

Another factor in Port Everglades is the number of ships disembarking at the same time as your ship. There are just so many US immigration officials assigned to PE, and if there are 5 ships all clearing at the same time, then the number of agents assigned to each terminal drops significantly. Check that issue out before you make a before-noon flight reservation, as it could have an impact on the time it takes to clear immigration and be on your way.

Good point. We are arriving on a Wed for our next two cruises, so hopefully it should be alot easier then when we arrived on a weekend.

To hasten departure from the parking deck at Port Everglades, you may wish to purchase a Florida Sunpass transponder. This will automatically debit a registered credit card for toll roads in Florida and may also be used at a separate exit lane to pay the parking deck fee, rather than waiting in line behind those making traditional payment.

The transponder is also usable for tolls in most eastern states.

A transponder that can be switched among different cars cost $25 (plus a prepaid balance for tolls) when I purchased mine. A transponder dedicated to a single automobile is cheaper. Both are available at sunpass.com.

To hasten departure from the parking deck at Port Everglades, you may wish to purchase a Florida Sunpass transponder. This will automatically debit a registered credit card for toll roads in Florida and may also be used at a separate exit lane to pay the parking deck fee, rather than waiting in line behind those making traditional payment.

A transponder that can be switched among different cars cost $25 (plus a prepaid balance for tolls) when I purchased mine. A transponder dedicated to a single automobile is cheaper. Both are available at sunpass.com.

Excellent advice. I wasn't aware the transponder would pay for parking fees. We were planning on getting one.

Is this new? It's not on the Sunpass or Port Everglades site that I can find. You can use it at the airports, both FLL and MIA.

Is this new? It's not on the Sunpass or Port Everglades site that I can find. You can use it at the airports, both FLL and MIA.

The above passengers are correct that neither the SunPass nor Port Everglades web pages list payment by SunPass at Port Everglades. I don’t believe that my memory of having done so is just the product of a failing mind.

My recollection is that we used SunPass at the garage dedicated solely to the cruise pier and not in the garage connected to the convention center.

I apologize if I’m spreading false information, but I do recall specifically using SunPass at the deck that adjoined the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You cannot use Sunpass to pay parking fees at Port Everglades.

How do I know?

I called: "For parking questions or emergencies, please contact SP Parking at: 954-468-3680."

As a matter of fact, the parking garage at the pier is operated by a separate entity NOT the Port! I found this out when my credit card was compromised. They were not interested in my problem.[emoji33]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

As a matter of fact' date=' the parking garage at the pier is operated by a separate entity NOT the Port! I found this out when my credit card was compromised. They were not interested in my problem.[emoji33']

Sorry to hear that but it isn't relevant to whether the garage does SunPass.

With all due respect a credit card being compromised is not such a big deal. You call they issue a new card

and you don't pay what was charged by the crooks. It is pretty common place and happens all the time.

Good to follow the post and see that Sunpass is still not accepted.

Actually it is because if they accepted Sun Pass' date=' I would have used that payment method and NOT my credit card. I recommend paying cash to avoid the situation we encountered.

In that case, you must pay cash a lot. Anytime, you use a card, you're taking a chance on compromise. Do you pay cash for gas? How about for dining? Groceries?

In that case, you must pay cash a lot. Anytime, you use a card, you're taking a chance on compromise. Do you pay cash for gas? How about for dining? Groceries?
I'm not going to continue this debate with you. I merely tried to caution people specifically about this location. Ttfn.

;) I also do not wish to cause a debate on CC compromising, but IMO, having a credit card compromised is a big deal...especially if you are traveling! :eek: It's a hassle to make phones calls, get it all straightened out, and then wait for a new card. If you are out of the country, it is an even bigger deal! We had a hotel reservation in Barcelona, Spain. The hotel attempted to put a days hold on our card in preparation of our arrival. It would not go through because our card had been frozen because of an earlier compromise. We did not know until we tried to check-in the hotel.

Also, if you shop online, or have automatic payments set up with a credit card, the number must be revised. :(

Questions:

In December, we will be getting off the Nieuw Amsterdam and going to the Celebrity Edge docking area on the same day. Anyone ever done this...getting off one ship and getting on another? :confused:

How long are passengers allowed to stay in their staterooms on HAL? Would like to stay in stateroom as long as possible because we will not be in a hurry to get off the ship. If it matters, we will be in an SY.

;) I also do not wish to cause a debate on CC compromising, but IMO, having a credit card compromised is a big deal...especially if you are traveling! :eek:

I agree 100%.

A few years ago, DW and I enjoyed a two-week dive holiday in Bonaire, staying at a beautiful and not inexpensive resort. When it was time to settle up at the end of our stay, my TD Visa Travel card was declined. I spoke to the Visa security people, who informed me that some weeks earlier I had shopped at a major chain store whose computer system had been compromised and, as a result, everyone who had shopped in any of its stores during a certain period had their card cancelled. A notification had been sent out, but arrived just after we left for Bonaire. Fortunately, the wonderful Dutch couple that ran the resort were very understanding and simply asked us to give them a call once our new card had been issued. Had it been a different type of holiday, driving from town to town, buying gas, meals and lodging, the cancelled card would have had far more serious consequences.

Since then, we've never travelled without having card from at least two of the major credit card companies. In similar circumstances, we would simply switch to another card. We also carry a very basic, no cost and no frills card with a really low credit limit. If we need to pay with a credit card in a dodgy establishment, we'll use it and not worry. Since we started using this card, of course, it has never been compromised!

I agree 100%.

A few years ago, DW and I enjoyed a two-week dive holiday in Bonaire, staying at a beautiful and not inexpensive resort. When it was time to settle up at the end of our stay, my TD Visa Travel card was declined. I spoke to the Visa security people, who informed me that some weeks earlier I had shopped at a major chain store whose computer system had been compromised and, as a result, everyone who had shopped in any of its stores during a certain period had their card cancelled. A notification had been sent out, but arrived just after we left for Bonaire. Fortunately, the wonderful Dutch couple that ran the resort were very understanding and simply asked us to give them a call once our new card had been issued. Had it been a different type of holiday, driving from town to town, buying gas, meals and lodging, the cancelled card would have had far more serious consequences.

Since then, we've never travelled without having card from at least two of the major credit card companies. In similar circumstances, we would simply switch to another card. We also carry a very basic, no cost and no frills card with a really low credit limit. If we need to pay with a credit card in a dodgy establishment, we'll use it and not worry. Since we started using this card, of course, it has never been compromised!

Excelled point. Always have a backup and a backup for the backup. I learned this lesson when I went to rent a car at a place that did not take American Express. The nice, family owned, rental place told me to send them a check when I got home.

Still, the point remains that the financial consequences of a compromise will probably be minor due to consumer protection laws.

I agree 100%.

Excelled point. Always have a backup and a backup for the backup. I learned this lesson when I went to rent a car at a place that did not take American Express. The nice, family owned, rental place told me to send them a check when I got home.

Still, the point remains that the financial consequences of a compromise will probably be minor due to consumer protection laws.

We do the same! Two cards and an ATM.