New to cruising! Flying into FLL - cruising from Miama -HELP with hotels/transport

Cruisingirl1

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping to get some suggestions on hotels and transportations during our holiday.

Me and my family (2 kids and two adults) are looking to fly into Fort Lauderdale airport, stay there for around 3 days before making our way to Miami Cruise Port to catch our MSC cruise for a week.

Does anyone have any hotel suggestions in Fort Lauderdale, walking distance to the beach and local restaurants/shops/etc...? We would prefer not to rent a car if possible.

Also, any advice as to the best way to travel from the hotel in FLL to Miami cruise port.

Price point? Well...we are definitely budget conscious right now but open to here any and all advice!

Thank you!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Feel free to wander around the site and make use of all the information here. For your current question, the place to explore is the Florida Departures board, located under North American Homeports. Yours is the question most often asked there. EM

As far as transportation from FLL to the Port of Miami (and back) we've used Uber and have been very satisfied with them. Lyft also serves the area as an option. Either would also be a good option around the area on your days there and would avoid a car rental.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As mentioned the best place to ask this question which comes up frequently is the Florida Departures Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Trust me you will get lots of suggestions over on that board.

Many of us post on it frequently to help others with questions such as yours.

Keith

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping to get some suggestions on hotels and transportations during our holiday.

Me and my family (2 kids and two adults) are looking to fly into Fort Lauderdale airport, stay there for around 3 days before making our way to Miami Cruise Port to catch our MSC cruise for a week.

Does anyone have any hotel suggestions in Fort Lauderdale, walking distance to the beach and local restaurants/shops/etc...? We would prefer not to rent a car if possible.

Also, any advice as to the best way to travel from the hotel in FLL to Miami cruise port.

Price point? Well...we are definitely budget conscious right now but open to here any and all advice!

Thank you!!

MJS Transportation.

gomjstrans.com

Great guys, large vans, great customer service. Delivered as promised. Used them for FLL to port and back. No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’re using QLS next month. We’re flying into FLL, Best Western is picking us up and taking us to hotel. QLS is picking us up the next morning and taking us to POM. Then they’re picking us back up and taking us back to FLL for our return flight. $52 each way for 4 people isn’t bad I didn’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last December we used Uber X (their regular size cars) from the 17th Street Embassy Suites (Ft Lauderdale) to the Port of Miami. Total cost was about $33. With a family group one would probably want to get a larger Uber car/van....but the cost would still only be about $40. Our preference, when in the South of Florida for a cruise, is to always stay in the Ft Lauderdale area rather than Miami and Uber makes this a very reasonable option.

Hank

Thank you!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, You will enjoy your cruise!

We used to the Carnival transfer from Ft Lauderdale to Miami and paid for it up front. However, I think next time I will do Uber because there were several stops to pick up other passengers and I was ready to get on the ship!

Good luck!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, You will enjoy your cruise!

We used to the Carnival transfer from Ft Lauderdale to Miami and paid for it up front. However, I think next time I will do Uber because there were several stops to pick up other passengers and I was ready to get on the ship!

Good luck!

And there be the problem with most transfer companies. A group transfer (which often costs more then Uber or Lyft) means you must work with their pick-up schedule, wait until others show-up, and often make multiple stops to pick-up more folks. You are often crammed into large vans. And once you finally arrive at the port there are often drop-offs at multiple ships so you may well wait while they make other stops, pull off the proper luggage, etc. With Uber, we simply left the hotel when we pleased, called for our Uber ride when we were in the lobby and waiting less then 5 minutes for our car. We quickly tossed the luggage in the car and drove directly to our port and ship. Total cost was about $17 per person (for 2 persons in a private car). There was no waiting around and we went from our Ft Lauderdale hotel lobby to our ship in less than 45 min.

Hank

I flew in to FLL( as the prices for flights were less expensive). I stayed at the Cambria Suites which was brand spankin new in 2014! They offered a free shuttle from the airport. There was also a very nice free breakfast option which served waffles, eggs, sausage, juice, coffee, etc.

I used CAS Shuttle to get from FLL to the Port of Miami. The cost was $15.00 per person. The shuttle arrive on time and was actually a very fancy Mercedes Benz shuttle van with tinted windows. It was so fancy I whispered to the driver as he was loading our luggage, "Can you please confirm the price?" lol It was a shared van so we picked up other cruisers along the way, at various hotels and even at the FLL airport before heading to Miami. The total trip was approx. 45 mins. The hotel and shuttle were both a great experience. Although UBER or Lyft may be less that the Shuttle if you have more ppl in your party (you can download both apps and check the rates in advance).

Edited by Californiacruizers

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!!

This spring we flew into FLL a day or two early, rented a car at the airport. Gave us the freedom to explore beach, Everglades, etc. The morning of our departure we drove to downtown Miami (no big deal on a Sunday morning with a GPS and no traffic) to the rental company's office there, dropped the car, took the rental company's shuttle to our pier.

One advantage of this approach - you don't need to be within walking distance from the beaches so you can get less expensive lodging... And you don't get into the hassle of a taxi or Uber or Hotel shuttle, you have the freedom to set your own agenda and timing. And probably save money in the process.

Enjoy!