Salon Offerings

5waldos

Anyone know if it will be possible to get a gel nail change onboard? I will be in need of a fix up onboard and am trying to figure out how to handle this- do I get gel nails now and a change onboard, or will I be stuck with the gel nails till I return home?

Anyone know if it will be possible to get a gel nail change onboard? I will be in need of a fix up onboard and am trying to figure out how to handle this- do I get gel nails now and a change onboard, or will I be stuck with the gel nails till I return home?

Yes it is and I had them done last week - they will do a soak off and reapply or just an apply. I was actually very pleased with the treatment I had on Journey and have decided to not get my nails done until I board next trip, the price for an application was $60 as I recall including the tip and that compares favourably with what I pay at home . I actually thought the gel was applied better.

We're on Quest now. I'm happy to report that the 14 day no-chip guarantee is honored. Mine started chipping the very next day and today the tech did almost a complete redo for free. Now I'm hoping to report that they lasted the full 2 weeks this time!

My Journey done nails are at 18 days and still looking great which is much better than my home technician experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nails done and already had a chip. MAJOR trauma [ ;-) ]. So with simply nothing else to do I had to run back and get my nail fixed. Now I can fly. But am happy to read the positive reports of the onboard services. Suspect I will be checking them out myself.

If I recall they use a Shellic that does say 14 days by the bottles. I am using gel at home. Never been really sure of the difference both last me a good two weeks or more.

I use an Asian walk in. Here runs me $35. On. Ship it varies. I had better to great and not so great on ships. When one cuts your toe with their cardboard file thst is not so great.

My Journey done nails are at 18 days and still looking great which is much better than my home technician experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had that experience on Radiance OTS this spring, went three weeks and only had them redone because I couldn’t stand the grow-out. I’m going to get mine done again on the next voyage (B2B, hurray!) right before we go home. So far, so good on the current re-do. I have one nail in jeopardy because I smacked it hard, but have my fingers crossed that it doesn’t get worse, lol.

I have the spa price list in front of me. The No-chip 14 day manicure is $50 (plus 18%). They also offer a polish add-on for $25, which I assume is just a touch up (Michelle did that on a couple of my nails that were otherwise fine just so they would all look the same).

Yes that’s it, it was$59 in total, today is day 22,I’m off to get a soak off only because of a colour clash with tomorrow nights outfit and because I haven’t time for a redo next week, I suspect I would have got to about Day 26 otherwise.

I think the technician on Journey, Martha from Zimbabwe is particularly good and I’ve now decided as I’m onboard in December I’m striking “get nails done” off my pre cruise to do list. Fingers crossed (hmm interesting phrase) I’m right!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shellac and gel are the same - cured under an ultraviolet lamp. Shellac is just a brand of gel nail polish.

Not really. Here there is shellac, which when it has to be removed, it can be done using nail polish remover (acetone). Gel is here called a different type of polish, which is much harder and resistant and it cannot be removed with acetone but it requires the use of machines ( nail buffers). Both are done using the ultraviolet lamp and will last as long as one decides to take them off. Gel nails cost here more than shellac. They can be refilled.

There is also the so called gel lacquer, which does not require an UV lamp, will chip easily and can be removed by any nail polish removal even those which does not contain acetone. This was explained to me by my manicurist...

Interesting. I just googled gel and shellac and it said that Shellac is the brand name of a gel polish made by Creative Nail Design (CND). Your description of gel sounds more like what we call acrylic nails.

At our local salon, acrylic nails are complete nails attached to your own nail and covered in polish. Our salon applies the same definitions as Travelberlin.

At our local salon, acrylic nails are complete nails attached to your own nail and covered in polish. Our salon applies the same definitions as Travelberlin.

Yes, you’re right about acrylic nails being whole nails applied over the nail. I think I was thinking about them having to be removed by machine buffing rather than with acetone.

I have used 3 local salons - one described their polish as shellac, the other two as gel, but all three were soaked off with acetone. All three used the same process (UV light).