Wind Surf---drink prices

xsnowman99

We know people who bring bottles of wine. If you want to bring it to dinner, you will be charged corkage fee. On a recent trip, Glitter and Glam, we met guests in a local wine shop doing tastings. The ship's wine steward was there. It was a fun time. Everyone bought wine back to the ship. As long as you only bring a few bottles, nobody will stop you.

Has anyone tried (or know if it's OK) to bring a bottle of spirit on board in lieu of wine? Not a big wine drinker and would like to bring a bottle of whiskey from my private stash on board if possible.

Has anyone tried (or know if it's OK) to bring a bottle of spirit on board in lieu of wine? Not a big wine drinker and would like to bring a bottle of whiskey from my private stash on board if possible.

It will probably be taken away. If you really want to take it, try googling rum runners.

I have those rum runners and never knew that’s what they were used for. I use them on vacations to carry wine out with me on beaches and boat trips. Never been on a cruise, but do they scan your luggage or search it? I am on the windsurf in January. Thanks

The Windstar policy site says:

Passengers are allowed to bring aboard one (1) bottle of wine per person at embarkation and additional wine and beer purchased onshore during the Cruise, which can be consumed in public areas subject to the Ship’s prevailing corkage fee.

So it is one bottle per person to start with but you can bring on more that you pick up along the way. One can also bring on beer under that provision.

It also says:

Any hard alcohol purchased onshore during the Cruise and brought onboard must be placed in custody of crew for return to passengers on conclusion of the voyage.

So the answer is no on bringing on "hard alcohol".

We started our spring cruise in Portugal so I wanted to bring a bottle of port that I got there on board. It wasn't clear to me which provision that comes under since port is a fortified wine. It has a higher percentage alcohol than regular wine but much less than a typical liquor. I figured I leave it up to them to ask about it or not. I brought it on in the carrier bag from the store - no one asked to inspect it and no one complained.

I have those rum runners and never knew that’s what they were used for. I use them on vacations to carry wine out with me on beaches and boat trips. Never been on a cruise, but do they scan your luggage or search it? I am on the windsurf in January. Thanks

Luggage is scanned. They will not open any luggage without you present. They are looking for bottles. I have only been called to the "naughty room" once. They thought our shoe horn was a shovel. Not sure why you cannot bring a shovel on board. Also, not sure why anyone would want to.

On our last Wind Star cruise in 2016 the corkage fee in the various dining venues was $15 per bottle. They will save any wine you don't drink for the next evening (we've never had that problem [emoji6]). If you open a bottle of wine and drink it in your room there wouldn't be a corkage fee. I don't believe you can bring an open bottle into the dining rooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find the following quote conflicting with another quote I have seen stating that only one bottle /person allowed . Can anyone tell us if we can purchase a bottle of wine on route & bring it aboard for personal consumption in our room.?

Passengers are allowed to bring aboard one (1) bottle of wine per person at embarkation and additional wine and beer purchased onshore during the Cruise, which can be consumed in public areas subject to the Ship’s prevailing corkage fee.

So it is one bottle per person to start with but you can bring on more that you pick up along the way. One can also bring on beer under that provision.

I find the following quote conflicting with another quote I have seen stating that only one bottle /person allowed . Can anyone tell us if we can purchase a bottle of wine on route & bring it aboard for personal consumption in our room.?

Since that text was cut and pasted from Windstar's terms and conditions page, it should be definitive. You can see it yourself at:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/terms-conditions/

I wouldn't say that the 1 bottle statements people have made conflict with it - they are just an incomplete statement of the policy covering only the rule about what you can bring on when you first board.

First time cruiser here, what is the corkage fee, per bottle of wine? If you drink it in your room do you have to pay that? Is it just a charge for them opening a bottle and providing glasses? Thanks

Glasses are already provided in your room. I’m almost positive the corkage fee in the dining areas is $15. At least we have paid that in the past. We bought a very nice large bottle of wine on our last cruise at a winery and they even took the time to decant it for us.