A busy day in the Port of New York

bob brown

October is always a busy and interesting month for cruise ships in the Port of New York, mainly due to the popularity of fall foliage cruises...both for homeported ships, and seasonal visitor's. For example today:

At Manhattan Cruise Ship Terminal, Pier 88, Berth One...................Norwegian Gem

Pier 88, Berth Two...................Disney Magic

Pier 90, Berth Two...................AIDA Luna

Pier 92, Berth One...................Crystal Serenity

At Brooklyn Cruise Ship Terminal......................................................Regal Princess

At Cape Liberty Cruise Ship Terminal................................................Anthem of the Seas

All sail away today, except AIDA Luna

Yes, indeed - ditto for tomorrow, next Saturday, etc. Next Sunday is our turn - out of MCT ... Breakaway sailing, which should almost certain to be at Pier 88. Going to be a bit mad & pre-book our Carmel ride ahead, just in case ... and get a live "feel" for boots at the curbside once we get there on things.

Being near Malba/CP area - good bet that car service will quickly take us - via 14th Ave - across WSB and across CBE & down old West Side Hwy direct to pier as best routing ... will see.

Not sure if the fun will continue the following Sunday, ports still busy - and NYC Marathon, ha ha. Wish us luck on getting home, although ... never in a hurry to get "chased" off the ship.

Yes...that Marathon can sure disrupt traffic...even worse for cruises, is the five borough bike tour that goes right past the cruise terminal...got stuck in that mess once....

I like to watch the sailaway's on the NYHarborWebcam....too bad their other NYPortcam is no longer operating...

Well, off to a bad start...the PTZ folks are "asleep at the switch"....they were focused on Cape Liberty, and did not follow the Anthem of the Seas at all...it sailed out of view....and is now past the Bridge, according to the Marine Traffic map....

There are four more sailing today....I hope they "wake up"...:(

Well...today is another interesting one...

At Manhattan Pier 88, Berth One is Mein Schiff 6; at Berth Two is Disney Magic; at Pier 90, Berth Two is Europa 2; and at Pier 92, Berth One is AIDADiva....meanwhile, over at Bayonne is Anthem of the Seas; and finally, at Brooklyn is Viking Sky.

Now I see why Mein Schiff 6 was 'bumped' from Cape Liberty (Bayonne) by home ported Anthem of the Seas to Manhattan, but wonder why Viking Sky couldn't have used Manhattan Pier 90, Berth One, instead of going to Brooklyn?

Perhaps it is too tight a channel now, since Pier 88 was widened a few years ago?

And why isn[t Pier 92, Berth Two seemingly never used any longer? I would think that a ship the size of the Europa 2 could have used that....

And why isn[t Pier 92, Berth Two seemingly never used any longer? I would think that a ship the size of the Europa 2 could have used that....

All of the times i sailed out of the NYC, Pier 92 Berth Two looks very old and it is about to fall down. They never renovated that part of the pier.

All of the times i sailed out of the NYC, Pier 92 Berth Two looks very old and it is about to fall down. They never renovated that part of the pier.

But they still use Berth One, when necessary....

I suppose for the brief period that Pier 92 is used...mostly October, it is not considered cost-effective to renovate it...but if it is "about to fall down", it should be condemned, and not used at all....