Manhattan & Amtrak - How much time?

geomancer

I'm looking at some 'last minute' cruises leaving Manhattan (either NCL Gem or NCL Breakaway) but have some concerns on the Amtrak schedules.

For example, one of the sailings leaves on a Sunday at 3 PM and the earliest Amtrak train arrives at 10:50 AM. That seems way too tight. I know Penn Station is somewhat close, but 1 PM is supposedly the absolute last time to board. 2h 10m seems like plenty for 2 miles, but delays happen.

As for the return, some of them come in as late as 10 AM. Is making a 2 PM train possible?

How reliable is Amtrak coming from Boston? I know arriving a day before is far more ideal, but the cost is prohibitive.

Thanks for any insight!

You know, I generally feel pretty good about Amtrak, but you have no fallback on this one. The next train arrives at 12:53. I ordinarily wouldn't have a lot of concern with an Acela, but the NE Regional (at least coming from DC, never traveled from Boston) is a little more likely to have issues in my experience. But, "issues" has usually be 30 minutes or less...

Have you looked at Saturday night hotels near Penn Station? They really may not be that bad if we're talking between now and Thanksgiving. A number of hotels in that area cater to business people, so Saturday may be pretty slow (or not).

Actually, looking at two one way flights each way it's $134 total versus Amtrak's $128 total. For $6 it might be worth having far shorter travel time (and numerous alternatives if a particular flight has issues).

However, I'm sure transportation from the airports to the pier is far higher (LGA into NYC and EWR out)? An Uber from Penn Station to Manhattan Cruise Terminal was showing as $10-15 on their estimator.

I'd probably expect $40-45 from LGA to Manhattan. More to EWR unless you take the train.

If you're contemplating a one-way plane ticket anyway, buy a one way in on the first flight of the day to LGA and an Amtrak ticket home at the end of the cruise when time isn't as sensitive. I would think a 2 pm train would be fine, but I've not taken that cruise so can't speak to the usual disembarkation process and time.

I would NEVER wager making my cruise on Amtrak's not being delayed an hour or so. I have had too many two-plus hour delays - both Boston to NY and DC to NY to feel comfortable about taking the train the same day.

Just tweeted out by Amtrak:

Regrettably, trains are still experiencing up to 1 hour delays near Trenton, NJ due to a signal issue.

Not common, but it can happen...

Just tweeted out by Amtrak:

Regrettably, trains are still experiencing up to 1 hour delays near Trenton, NJ due to a signal issue.

Not common, but it can happen...

Right - most of the time trains are on time or close to on time - but even if it only happens once in a year - suppose that one time happens to be the day you are boarding a cruise.

Actually, looking at two one way flights each way it's $134 total versus Amtrak's $128 total. For $6 it might be worth having far shorter travel time (and numerous alternatives if a particular flight has issues).

However, I'm sure transportation from the airports to the pier is far higher (LGA into NYC and EWR out)? An Uber from Penn Station to Manhattan Cruise Terminal was showing as $10-15 on their estimator.

When you talk about train vs. air travel time you should crank in time getting to/from airports and security and check in time. My practical experience is that from Connecticut to Washington DC, Amtrak from Stamford takes very little longer than getting to airport, checking in, waiting to board, flight and getting from airport to wherever . And forget about the hassle difference.

How about taking Amtrack to somewhere between New Haven CT and NYC? Stay overnight at a hotel (the further from NYC, the less $$$$) and then take an early Metronorth into the city and arrive with time to spare. There's pretty much a train every hour. In some cities along the New Haven/NYC Metronorth corridor, some hotels are walkable from the train station, too. You just need to do a little bit of homework.. However, if there are no delays, your original plan will work. Penn to the pier is about a 15 minute cab ride and cabs outside of Penn are easy to get. As far as flying to LaGuradia, with getting to and from the airports, the cost, the aggravation, how much time it actually will take "door to door", I'd pass on that option. Going home, I don't think a 2PM train will pose any issues.

How about taking Amtrack to somewhere between New Haven CT and NYC? Stay overnight at a hotel (the further from NYC, the less $$$$) and then take an early Metronorth into the city and arrive with time to spare. There's pretty much a train every hour. In some cities along the New Haven/NYC Metronorth corridor, some hotels are walkable from the train station, too. You just need to do a little bit of homework.. However, if there are no delays, your original plan will work. Penn to the pier is about a 15 minute cab ride and cabs outside of Penn are easy to get. As far as flying to LaGuradia, with getting to and from the airports, the cost, the aggravation, how much time it actually will take "door to door", I'd pass on that option. Going home, I don't think a 2PM train will pose any issues.

This is a great suggestion - Amtrak stops between New Haven and NY are Bridgeport, Stamford and Greenwich - Stamford would be best : most Amtrak stops, about 45 minutes MTA to Grand Central, and nearby hotels.

Weekend MetroNorth New Haven service is now every 30 minutes, one train makes all stops to Stamford the other skips some stops, both are express after Stamford.

Stamford service is 4 trains an hour two are expresses and 2 are local all stops. Board the expresses in the rear for seats, since Grand Central is a terminal everyone wants to be in the front of the train to exit faster.

Off peak fare to GCT New Haven $17.50 Stamford $11.50 bought before getting on train. From Conductor $24/$18