Cuba, Viking Cancel Policy

roothy123

A while back we booked one of the Viking cruises that goes to Cuba. I understand Viking has not yet gotten approval from the Cuban government to visit. While the cruise is still a long way away (almost 11 months) I'm curious as to what might happen if approval isn't granted after the point where passengers can cancel their cruise and Viking has to substitute other ports. I guess our new president may also throw a monkey wrench into things as well. The whole reason we're taking that cruise is to get to Cuba. When we booked, Viking's cancellation policy was that four months prior to the cruise, you could cancel and they would only charge you $100. On the other hand, I thought that fairly recently I had read that there was a more lenient policy. Is that true?

Also, I know cruise lines can change a whole heck of a lot on the itinerary, but I'm wondering what Viking might possibly do the 2 day stop in Cuba had to be dropped after the 4 month $100 cancellation period passed. Does anyone have any experience on this kind of situation, or some idea of what other cruise lines do? Has anyone asked Viking this question yet? I would probably want to cancel, but I don't want to lose a lot of money. I did purchase insurance (but not through Viking) but my guess is that it wouldn't help in this situation. (It does not include a "cancel for any reason" clause).

I'm not extremely worried about this situation, but if anyone has an info/guesses, I'd love to hear it. When that 4 month date rolls around, I'll re-evaluate and then call Viking. In the mean time, I'd love any and all comments here.

We are booked on the 11/17 cruise to Cuba. Our payment is not due until May and the $100 crenelation is good until July so we are hoping by then the "government" may have figured out their position on Cuba.

We usually travel on Oceania which is going to Cuba in March but with final payment due at time of booking and stiff cancellation penalties already in force we felt it was better to let things shake out.

There can always be last minute changes but we feel more comfortable with a November cruise. I would not worry about a certificate. I am sure Viking will get one, every other line has had no problem that I know of.

Roothy,

The "more lenient" cancellation policy I think you are referring to was , I believe, for specific river cruises and not across the board, but it was indeed a "cancel for any reason" policy. Was that what you were thinking of?

Becki

Florida, I'm a big Oceania fan too. I read, though, that Oceania has now received permission from Cuba for their late spring cruises. However, it sounds like it's a "temporary" permission and only covers the spring cruises. In any case, I just put a note on my calendar to see if all is good on Viking in May, and if we have to, we'll cancel and give Viking $100. I like the Caribbean but not enough to spend all that money to go to the other ports besides Cuba. As for what our new government does, we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Becki, I was thinking the lenient policy was for oceans, but maybe not. I really don't know, but if that's the policy for oceans, it's certainly not what's on the paperwork I have, which is why I posed the question!

I had no idea this was even an issue until yesterday, after reading an article on Cruise critic that stated Americans were not approved for travel to Cuba on Viking. My TA called Viking. Their response was that I'm good to go. Will also be double checking in May!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Do we need a Visa to go to Cuba if we live in the US?

Check travel.state.gov., the travel website of the US State Department. They have a page for each country that tells you all sorts of stuff about travel in that country -- visa requirements, accessibility for the physically disabled, LGBT issues, crime, personal safety, women traveling alone, currency restrictions, etc.

Went to the Oceania forum to see what those leaving in March were experiencing. It seems that Cuba also has a requirement that one must purchase Cuban Health Insurance for each day they are there. They do not recognize American insurance companies if one should need to seek treatment while in Cuba. Oceania somehow included it in their pricing. My TA checked with Viking, they are working on these issues and are in the process of resolving. The TA said they would continue to let their clients know what was needed as soon as they could. She was advised that we do not need a visa because we are on a "people to people visit", but this is something we will also be clarifying as time goes on. I think the Oceania passengers going in March will be able to give us a better idea of what's required.

It appears that NO cruises with American passengers have been approved yet after May, so everyone is in the same situation as Viking. However, from an article in Seatrade News, cruise lines are confident that approval WILL be granted by Cuba. There's a little more information here: http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/approvals-for-more-cuba-calls-by-us-lines-are-expected.html?highlight=WyJjdWJhIiwiY3ViYSdzIiwiJ2N1YmEiLCJjdWJhJyJd

At this point, I can't imagine Cuba wouldn't want the new business, unless perhaps if visits later get so popular that Havana and other Cuban ports get overrun by American tourists. In another issue of the Seatrade Cruise newsletter, there's mention that NCL (or perhaps it's Norwegian, I forget) is apparently planning to offer weekly cruises that visit Cuba. Apparently they feel demand is there.

As for the new president, I can't imagine he would let anything initiated by Obama stand, but who knows, maybe he'd like to build a hotel there or something. I just hope that if Cuba visits are squashed, we learn about it early enough to cancel without a penalty - or that Viking decides to take pity on us and lets us use the money we paid to switch to another cruise. The Caribbean is nice, but visiting a new country is so, so much better.

• 5 months later...

For any on the newly revised/renamed Cultural Cuba cruise in November or December that think we should stay past 4pm in Key West, please retweet my husband's message to @vikingriver. His twitter handle is @johntowler. The next day is at sea & we've already lost two other ports. Least they can do!

For any on the newly revised/renamed Cultural Cuba cruise in November or December that think we should stay past 4pm in Key West, please retweet my husband's message to @vikingriver. His twitter handle is @johntowler. The next day is at sea & we've already lost two other ports. Least they can do!

We are on the 11/17/17 cruise - and agree that it would be great to stay longer in Key West. However, I don't think Key West allows ANY cruise ship to stay to watch the sunset. But I will keep following this post to see if there is any update.

Mary Lou

Take your cruise! When it comes to cruises, there is zero changes proposed. In fact there will be more than ever! NCL just announced the Sun will be their 2nd ship sailing there regularly. The cruise lines who had earlier only published schedules short term changed their approach and dared Trump by publishing schedules through 2019. Then when his announcement was made about Cuba travel, ZERO was proposed in terms of any changes on any cruises. The only changes proposed are to those flying there independently. Cuba is an incredible destination and I can tell you after having been all over the world, I am so happy I went. Don't worry, you will be going, don't miss the opportunity!

Isn't Key West now after Cuba? If I'm wrong, and it's after leaving Miami, I would guess the captain will need plenty of time to get down to and around the big island of Cuba to get to Cienfuegos. If KW is later, right before return to Miami, captain is likely to want plenty of time to get to Miami early so people with early flights aren't in jeopardy of missing them.

Quite honestly, after seeing/experiencing a Key West sunset, I felt it was highly over-rated, especially for those over the age of 30. I'd rather the Captain take plenty of time to get back to Miami.

Edited by roothy123

Hi, Roothy.

Went to Havana in June with RCCL. We were there just a day, but if I can answer any questions for you I would be glad to. At that time, we were allowed to do independent tours, but my husband and I opted to do a ship's tour, just because we hadn't been there and weren't sure how well things were working with independent tours. However, we were allowed to use any free time after the tour to stay in town and look around on our own. But, at the time that we were cruising, the changes to the "rules" came thru by President Trump and not sure how rigid the cruise lines will adher to them.

Re money; we did exchange $100, getting approx. $80 Cuban after the exchange and fee rate. And, we spent every bit of it on rum and cigars and gifts. However, there are many places that will take the US $; our last place was in the terminal where we were buying gifts and had our last Cuban currency, and we added $1 to get our price. :D But lots of people who went to the artisan's market (or flea market, depending on your POV), said almost all there took US$.

Becki

We are on the 11/17/17 cruise - and agree that it would be great to stay longer in Key West. However, I don't think Key West allows ANY cruise ship to stay to watch the sunset. But I will keep following this post to see if there is any update.

Mary Lou

Hope you post how the cruise is going. We go Dec. 1. New itinerary and freebies are fabulous. Still curious about whether we can go off ship by ourselves in Cuba, so you and other November cruisers can give the later folks some valuable info. It looks like I won't have much time to wander in Cienfuegos, but if I do, it's going to be hard staying on that ship! But Cuba is Cuba and we need to be flexible.

Take your cruise! When it comes to cruises, there is zero changes proposed. In fact there will be more than ever! NCL just announced the Sun will be their 2nd ship sailing there regularly. The cruise lines who had earlier only published schedules short term changed their approach and dared Trump by publishing schedules through 2019. Then when his announcement was made about Cuba travel, ZERO was proposed in terms of any changes on any cruises. The only changes proposed are to those flying there independently. Cuba is an incredible destination and I can tell you after having been all over the world, I am so happy I went. Don't worry, you will be going, don't miss the opportunity!
Thanks. We are! Was a little nervous but now glad we stayed calm and carried on, because Viking did receive their permit. While they can't dock in Havana they will get us there by coach and overnight us before taking us back to Cienfuegos. Some people are canceling but I see no need to. Stuff happens; how a cruise line responds is what matters, and I'm happy with their solution.

Hi, Roothy.

Went to Havana in June with RCCL. We were there just a day, but if I can answer any questions for you I would be glad to. At that time, we were allowed to do independent tours, but my husband and I opted to do a ship's tour, just because we hadn't been there and weren't sure how well things were working with independent tours. However, we were allowed to use any free time after the tour to stay in town and look around on our own. But, at the time that we were cruising, the changes to the "rules" came thru by President Trump and not sure how rigid the cruise lines will adher to them.

Re money; we did exchange $100, getting approx. $80 Cuban after the exchange and fee rate. And, we spent every bit of it on rum and cigars and gifts. However, there are many places that will take the US $; our last place was in the terminal where we were buying gifts and had our last Cuban currency, and we added $1 to get our price. :D But lots of people who went to the artisan's market (or flea market, depending on your POV), said almost all there took US$.

Becki

Thanks. Since we dock in Cienfuegos now, I'm not sure where we go to exchange money, but I'm sure Viking will tell us. Glad you enjoyed your day in Havana! I'm assuming that Viking won't be hand holding and that I'll be able to stay out a bit in Cienfuegos on my own. Sounds like trump just wants us to avoid state run places while on our own. Regs due out in the fall; we'll see, but I'm guessing no big deal. Just posted in port of call section to ask where ship docks.....if no response I'll post on Oceania board. Those folks know everything!

Edited by roothy123

Roothy,

HAL has a cruise going to both Havana and Cienfuegos later this year. They are showing Cienfuegos as a tender port.

The port terminals all have money exchanges. Very quick to do.

Becki

Tender port, was afraid of that. Oh well. At least Viking does a great job of tendering. No lines. Thanks.

Thanks. Since we dock in Cienfuegos now, I'm not sure where we go to exchange money, but I'm sure Viking will tell us. Glad you enjoyed your day in Havana! I'm assuming that Viking won't be hand holding and that I'll be able to stay out a bit in Cienfuegos on my own. Sounds like trump just wants us to avoid state run places while on our own. Regs due out in the fall; we'll see, but I'm guessing no big deal. Just posted in port of call section to ask where ship docks.....if no response I'll post on Oceania board. Those folks know everything!

Cienfuegos is a tender port - no problem looking forward to the extra time in Cuba . I can't and won't get excited about things that we and Viking can not control . Everyone easy up and enjoy the change !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've never minded tenders. I think all of the times we went to Disney world (at least twenty ) have helped us adapt to anything! Also, my husband almost didn't survive an illness last year, and I just feel blessed that we can go on vacation this year. It changes your perspective. To those of you that are disappointed, I understand it's not what you hoped for, and if you can't cancel and rebook something you do like , I hope you still approach it with an open mind and make it a positive experience.

I've never minded tenders. I think all of the times we went to Disney world (at least twenty ) have helped us adapt to anything! Also, my husband almost didn't survive an illness last year, and I just feel blessed that we can go on vacation this year. It changes your perspective. To those of you that are disappointed, I understand it's not what you hoped for, and if you can't cancel and rebook something you do like , I hope you still approach it with an open mind and make it a positive experience.

I like your positive attitude & will try to adopt it. It's just we get so few vacation days & try to plan the best trips & then it gets changed up. Need to remember that life isn't fair I guess.

Thrilled to be going, and despite what I said, I don't really mind tendering. In reality, about the only bad thing about it is that it might subtract 20 minutes to the time we have ashore! I understand that some people can't or don't want to tender, but it seems like Viking does its best to get dock assignments when that's possible.

I think part of the unhappiness about Cuba is that there are a lot of newbies to Viking Ocean are these folks are used to the highly routinized river cruises that Viking runs over and over again. Unless there's not enough water in the Danube to sail, or something like that happens, things are pretty predictable. The boat pulls up to the same spot it used a week or two ago, and tour guides from the company who came a week or two ago come back to lead the same tours, etc. etc. Cruising on the ocean, to a new port, to a new country (where diplomatic relations could be strained, and where visits by Americans are new) and on a relatively new ship can and will bring some changes! I just roll with the changes and enjoy the ride.