Christmas travel

CnMSteffani

Good day everyone, we have a Christmas cruise booked out of Port Canaveral, FL departing on 12/23. Figured we would travel a week prior around 12/18-12/31.

When I booked this 2 years ago I did not even take into consideration the cost of plane tickets during this time period. I should have purchased them when I was able to get 2 RT from LAX to MCO for $700, now that is the cost per ticket.

So the question I have now is, do I just purchase them now or is there any chance that I will be able to get tickets at a better price between now and November?

Thank you for your help.

First off, I'm not sure where you are getting a price of $700 per person. Plugging in your specific dates, I'm finding Spirit in the $365 range and United around $450. You may be able to do better shifting a day or two either way - I did not look.

As for whether the price will go down - you are already less than three months before travel, during a holiday period. Think of supply and demand curves with fairly constant supply. Now add in higher than normal demand and tightening time frames.

Could it go down? Anything is possible. Should you hope for it to go down? Hope is not a strategy.

Figure out what you extra costs and fees would be with Spirit and with UA, then decide if the difference is worth it for the somewhat better experience on UA. And give ITA Matrix a try to research some pricing.

First off, I'm not sure where you are getting a price of $700 per person. Plugging in your specific dates, I'm finding Spirit in the $365 range and United around $450. You may be able to do better shifting a day or two either way - I did not look.

As for whether the price will go down - you are already less than three months before travel, during a holiday period. Think of supply and demand curves with fairly constant supply. Now add in higher than normal demand and tightening time frames.

Could it go down? Anything is possible. Should you hope for it to go down? Hope is not a strategy.

Figure out what you extra costs and fees would be with Spirit and with UA, then decide if the difference is worth it for the somewhat better experience on UA. And give ITA Matrix a try to research some pricing.

One thing I am now see is that I need to check literally daily, wow what a difference a day or two makes!!!! Thank you for info and the site.

I just wanted to highlight one item that was mentioned. Be sure to look at the add on costs before booking the flight particularly with Spirit Airlines. For example with Spirit you can take on board one personal item (purse, etc.) but you are charged for even a carry on bag. So, be sure to figure all of that when calculating which airline to use. (eg. lowest fare price might not be the lowest when you calculate the pricing).

Also don't forget to go directly to the Southwest Airline Web Site at http://www.southwest.com

They are not listed on ITA Matrix.

I just went to their web site: http://www.southwest.com

Prices will vary depending on what time of day you fly. I was able to put together a R/T fare of $424.00 per person without choosing the lowest or highest pricing.

And with Southwest unlike most airlines your fare allows you to check in up to two bags person at no extra cost and you can bring on board like most airlines a personal item and a carry on without a charge.

Keith

As tickets in the cheaper fare classes sell out, prices will rise. There's no reason for prices to go down the closer you get to holiday travel.

I purchased tickets to Europe over Christmas in August. Prices have gone up over $650 each, and on the outbound, the nonstop is now sold out in Economy.

If you find a good price, I'd book it now.

As tickets in the cheaper fare classes sell out, prices will rise. There's no reason for prices to go down the closer you get to holiday travel.

I purchased tickets to Europe over Christmas in August. Prices have gone up over $650 each, and on the outbound, the nonstop is now sold out in Economy.

If you find a good price, I'd book it now.

I agree. My experience is the same as yours that time of the year.

Keith