Viking Spirit to become Viking Orion

MMDown Under

Torstein Hagen did not explain why he either wanted or needed to change the name of Viking Spirit. There was some indication that with three heavenly type names (Star, Sky, Sun) and an astronaut godmother that he wanted to move toward more astronomical names and considered planets but eventually went for constellation names. The implication was that future names would also be constellations, but was not stated as definitive.

Press release is available in the Media Center on the Viking website, scroll down to the links at the very bottom of any page.

I'm disappointed to see the break with the S name pattern but when you read the press release, you will see that it was done in honor of the ship's godmother.

Press release is available in the Media Center on the Viking website, scroll down to the links at the very bottom of any page.

I'm disappointed to see the break with the S name pattern but when you read the press release, you will see that it was done in honor of the ship's godmother.

Not me! I'm not disappointed to see a new letter in the line-up because for the life of me I can't tell them apart. Thus far we've been on Star and Sun and will go on Sky next spring or is it we've been on Star and Sky and will go on Sun? They're all duplicates of each other decor-wise so please, let's get creative with the names to make them more distinct in my memory. :confused:

New ship Viking Spirit to become Viking Orion.

CC News

Does anyone know why?

Isn't the former Austral ship Orion now the National Geographic Orion?

Will this cause confusion for Roll Calls--there are already some out there for the Spirit (ours included)? New bookings might not recognize them?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2515943

Viking--Are you listening?

Finally, I am home and in front of my computer (can't do the cut and paste thing on my phone) so here is the link to the Viking Orion press release.

Mark Tapley, I guess now that Orion has floated out, it will be time to start laying the next keel for number 6.

A&D Cruising, the naming of the roll calls is not a Viking problem, it is a Cruise Critic problem. Viking has nothing to do with these roll calls other than the fact that they do monitor them. Cruise Critic will have to make whatever changes are necessary to rename the roll call forum and to decide if they will dedicate the manpower to changing Spirit to Orion each time it appears in the title of a roll call. Hopefully, they will do it sooner rather than later.

Not me! I'm not disappointed to see a new letter in the line-up because for the life of me I can't tell them apart. Thus far we've been on Star and Sun and will go on Sky next spring or is it we've been on Star and Sky and will go on Sun? They're all duplicates of each other decor-wise so please, let's get creative with the names to make them more distinct in my memory. :confused:

At least Viking Oceans is more creative with its ship names than the German TUI Cruises. Their ships are named Mein Schiff 1, Mein Schiff 2, Mein Schiff 3, Mein Schiff 4, Mein Schiff 5 and Mein Schiff 6. I think that translates into English as "My Ship"1-6. :D

At least Viking Oceans is more creative with its ship names than the German TUI Cruises. Their ships are named Mein Schiff 1, Mein Schiff 2, Mein Schiff 3, Mein Schiff 4, Mein Schiff 5 and Mein Schiff 6. I think that translates into English as "My Ship"1-6. :D

And the old Renaissance ships --R1, R2, R3, etc.

We are booked on the Spirit (I guess now Orion) in 2019 from Auckland to Bali. I have been trying for months to get an updated print ocean brochure (friends and hubby like to look at a book). Finally last week I got an email that they would send me a new one...I'm wondering if it is because they changed the name and every time I emailed or called it was delayed. I would think that they should have told me (and everybody) that they changed the ship name and that everything had to be reprinted. You would also think that they would email all of us to let us know of the change of the ship's name. Not impressive to me. I loved the product that we experienced but I am not impressed with this.

Yes, and Lufthansa translates in English to Airline. Very creative and original.

Thanks for the links. We are sailing on the July 8, 2018 um, Orion. I like the story & godmother! Looks like it may be the inaugural journey. I hope the dates hold so we don't have to reschedule.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also hoping the dates hold. We are on the 2nd sailing!

As long as one of the ship's is named Saga, I'm not going to complain. ;)

I can't see Viking using the name "Saga" as Saga is the name of another European cruise line which targets the same population, and offers a similar type of cruise. It has many loyal and repeat customers. It would all be toooo confusing!

Orion is so much more original. Maybe they also changed it because Spirit is so overused for ships. Seabourn had the Spirit, one of the original triplets, Silversea has the Silver Spirit and Windstar has the Wind Spirit. That’s a lot of Spirits! Much prefer Orion!

I can't see Viking using the name "Saga" as Saga is the name of another European cruise line which targets the same population, and offers a similar type of cruise. It has many loyal and repeat customers. It would all be toooo confusing!

Perhaps true but the name has turned up on surveys for possible names of future ships, so I'm not giving up on it yet.

Just now got an email with an updated invoice and a notice of the name change. Also received brochure in the mail today. Orion is the name in the brochure. Still seems strange to me...all the secrecy. Don't care what the name is we will have a great time.

On the Spirt for Alaska. I think I preferred that name tbh. Oh well. It will be fabulous regardless. I would have thought they may have emailed booked passengers to let them know.

Just now got an email with an updated invoice and a notice of the name change. Also received brochure in the mail today. Orion is the name in the brochure. Still seems strange to me...all the secrecy. Don't care what the name is we will have a great time.

Yes, as did I. I think that Viking might just keep an eye on these boards! And kudos to them if they do.

Yes, as did I. I think that Viking might just keep an eye on these boards! And kudos to them if they do.

They most definitely do--every single thread in this forum and all of the roll calls. They stay out of the conversation unless absolutely necessary, usually to ask a guest with issues to e-mail them so that they can straighten things out.