Sockets on Discovery 2

A few years ago we had a problem with the position of the "Euro socket" on Thomson Spirit and couldn't connect some of our devices.

It's easy to rig up a DIY solution - get a rewireable extension block (with the number of sockets you prefer) and a Euro kettle lead (in the length required) which has a moulded Schuko plug fitted. I would recommend the straight Schuko plug version, rather than the right angled option.

Easy to find online and not expensive if you search around.

The plug at the kettle end is redundant, so cut it off and dump it - then it's a straightforward job to rewire the cable to the extension block - the three wires are coloured code just like the UK - then you'll have an earthed extension block suitable for direct connection to such sockets on cruise ships, and just about every hotel room in western Europe,

3%20way%20extension%20block%20with%20Schuko%20plug_zpsp4u9y3tn.jpg

A few years ago we had a problem with the position of the "Euro socket" on Thomson Spirit and couldn't connect some of our devices.

It's easy to rig up a DIY solution - get a rewireable extension block (with the number of sockets you prefer) and a Euro kettle lead (in the length required) which has a moulded Schuko plug fitted. I would recommend the straight Schuko plug version, rather than the right angled option.

The plug at the kettle end is redundant, so cut it off and dump it - then it's a straightforward job to rewire the cable to the extension block - the three wires are coloured code just like the UK - then you'll have an earthed extension block suitable for direct connection to such sockets on cruise ships, and just about every hotel room in western Europe,

Really bad idea to suggest/encourage rewiring as a solution for anything electrical going on a ship. Even bought extension blocks are band from most cruise lines due fire risk.

The plug at the kettle end is redundant, so cut it off and dump it - then it's a straightforward job to rewire the cable to the extension block - the three wires are coloured code just like the UK - then you'll have an earthed extension block suitable for direct connection to such sockets on cruise ships, and just about every hotel room in western Europe,>>

I usually agree with WeeCountyMans posts BUT think this is a dangerous and potentially fore hazardous solution.

If you can wire a UK 13 amp plug, then there's no issue.

The three wires in the cable are coloured coded exactly the same - and the terminals in the block are clearly indicated live, earth and neutral.

With respect, anybody challenged with that level of electrical DIY should avoid doing this, certainly, as you say, for a cruise ship.

I wish I hadn't raised this now !!!

USA sockets are 110 volts, fine if your appliances have dual voltage (as some do) otherwise they are unservicable.

Removing the kettle plug at the socket is not a problem, electrical plugs are specifially designed for this purpose - the steward will oblige on request.

I wish I hadn't raised this now !!!

USA sockets are 110 volts, fine if your appliances have dual voltage (as some do) otherwise they are unservicable.

Removing the kettle plug at the socket is not a problem, electrical plugs are specifially designed for this purpose - the steward will oblige on request.

Thank you for trying to answer my question, but we seem to be over complicating the issue.

Everything I wish to use has been successfully used on mainland USA , Princess and Royal Caribbean Cruises to Caribbean and Middle East.

The question remains, do I need to take American or European adapters?

(I am quite capable of unplugging a kettle without steward assistance, but did not think to carry European adapted if USA adapted needed for other sockets)

Kind regards.

Buy a multi national adapter set. It has both US and European adapters. Had mine years and not expensive, problem sorted without risking burning the ship down!

Good thinking. I have one from many moons ago (Boots brand), wasn't too happy with it. Might need to invest in a new one.

Thanks.

I haven't been on this ship under Thomson but was on her when she was with RCL. I took both the EU and the US ones as that gave me 2 sockets to charge stuff up.

I stress again most cruise-lines (I don't know about Thomson as this is my 1st cruise with them) do not allow multi plugs/ gangs of 4 on board as this can cause an overload and thus a fire risk (all be low). So I am sure they do not want self made versions of this. Just take the 2 adapters and rotate charging/ using your devices.

With respect, if unplugging a kettle is an issue for anyone I suspect plugging something in will be equally problematic so the socket type becomes an irrelevance. When I explained about unplugging the kettle I meant.........unplugging the kettle....simples !

With respect, if unplugging a kettle is an issue for anyone I suspect plugging something in will be equally problematic so the socket type becomes an irrelevance. When I explained about unplugging the kettle I meant.........unplugging the kettle....simples !

Please see post number 10 .

The comment about not unplugging kettle to use European socket was to avoid carrying European

adaptor as well as USA adaptor ...not that I am incapable of removing a kettle plug from a socket and replacing it with the plug / adaptor for something else !!!!!

Some of the replies to this seemingly simple question are unnecessarily sharp and may prevent posters asking questions , if they feel they too might receive an unpleasant reply.

I think the old saying "if you can't say something nice

(or helpful....in this case) say nothing at all" applies here.

Safe travels !

• 3 months later...

Most cruise passengers need electricity sockets for charging phones, tablets and laptops. Chargers will work at either 110v or 230v, so you can use the European or American sockets. My wife also uses a hot brush which has a dual voltage switch. None of these require an Earth connection, so all the stuff we take with us has a continental 2 pin plug on the end. We also take an American to European 2 pin adaptor. The simple flat ones cost pennies and take up hardly any space. UK plugs and the adaptor needed to convert it to European take up a lot of room in your luggage.

Unplugging the kettle to reveal a German style outlet is not a problem - just don't do it with the kettle switched on!

As said above there are European and American sockets, 2 of each, what's the problem? We take a three socket extension with a short cable and a European adapter and never had a problem taking it onboard.

There are also usb ports in the bedside lights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Poundland sell twin packs of US and EU adaptors.We took a few back to Italy last year for our molded plug UK chargers.Obviously we didn,t use the US ones,but still a bargain for a quid,cheers,Brian.