Amtrak stations

kellers13

We are booked for Jan 28, out of Cape Liberty. We are travelling via Amtrak from Syracuse, NY. Should we get off at the Newark Penn Station or the New York Penn station to stay for a night before the cruise?

We have to consider hotel prices and prefer a shuttle to/from the port, or will taxi or uber it.

Which area should we stay in?

We are booked for Jan 28, out of Cape Liberty. We are travelling via Amtrak from Syracuse, NY. Should we get off at the Newark Penn Station or the New York Penn station to stay for a night before the cruise?

We have to consider hotel prices and prefer a shuttle to/from the port, or will taxi or uber it.

Which area should we stay in?

One option is to take Amtrak to Newark Airport Station with a layover in New York. Which train were you considering? You take the Airtrain to P4 to pick up the hotel shuttle. Through Trinityreservations.com you can book the Ramada Plaza for $184 tax included for a room and round trip port transportation.

Which train were you considering for the return trip? It looks like you would have to get yourselves to New York Penn Station to connect easily to Syracuse which means taking NJ Transit from Newark Airport to New York for $13/pp.

I am actually on your cruise and am coming in from Boston on Amtrak and staying in NY at the La Quinta on 32nd St, which still has incredibly good rates for Jan 27 between $100 and $125, depending on bed size and discounts like AAA or senior. I am planning on walking a half block to 6th Ave to take PATH to Hoboken, the light rail to Bayonne, and Uber into the port for about $15. On the return my train is about 10:15 from NY Penn Station, so I'm planning on self disembarking and taking public transit.

One option is to take Amtrak to Newark Airport Station with a layover in New York. Which train were you considering? You take the Airtrain to P4 to pick up the hotel shuttle. Through Trinityreservations.com you can book the Ramada Plaza for $184 tax included for a room and round trip port transportation.
Thanks for bringing this layover to my attention. I was not paying that close attention. I think right to NY Penn station would be best in this case then.

I am actually on your cruise and am coming in from Boston on Amtrak and staying in NY at the La Quinta on 32nd St, which still has incredibly good rates for Jan 27 between $100 and $125, depending on bed size and discounts like AAA or senior. I am planning on walking a half block to 6th Ave to take PATH to Hoboken, the light rail to Bayonne, and Uber into the port for about $15. On the return my train is about 10:15 from NY Penn Station, so I'm planning on self disembarking and taking public transit.
Hello fellow Cruiser! Your plan sounds incredibly difficult to me. We would like just one mode of transfer if at all possible. I will however check out that hotel.

Are you confident you would make it to the 10:15 train on time?

Thanks for your help :)

Thanks for bringing this layover to my attention. I was not paying that close attention. I think right to NY Penn station would be best in this case then.

Hello fellow Cruiser! Your plan sounds incredibly difficult to me. We would like just one mode of transfer if at all possible. I will however check out that hotel.

Are you confident you would make it to the 10:15 train on time?

Thanks for your help :)

I'm thinking about your options as well as my own for the return trip.

You should price a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to go from the La Quinta to Cape Liberty on a Sunday morning. It will cost almost as much as your two train fares from Syracuse.

One strategy for making a 10:20 train on Friday from New York Penn Station would be to self disembark before 8 am, get a cab to Newark Penn Station, and take NJ Transit for $5.25/pp to NY Penn Station. Trains run frequently in this time period, but it is rush hour so they could be crowded. The next train appears to be at 1:20.

Let me know which strategy appeals the most. I'm rethinking my return trip to take the light rail and PATH to Newark Penn Station to pick up the Boston train there instead of going all the way into NYC during rush hour. Last time I did this it snowed and even though I made it to Boston, I couldn't get home and had to stay in a last minute Hotwire hotel.