Post cruise - 3 days - Anchorage & Denali or just Denali?

kscaf1

We will be going to Denali after our cruise and are trying to decide if we should do one night in Anchorage and then 2 in Denali or skip Anchorage and spend 3 nights in Denali.

We will be docking in Seward and most likely renting a car, which we would have to pick up in Anchorage. We can take our time in Anchorage or take the scenic drive to Denali that day.

We may have a chance of one additional day so deciding if that would be 1 in Anchorage, 2 in Denali and 1 in Fairbanks or again, adding as much as we can to Denali and skipping either or both ends. We are pricing it and looking at options so any suggestions are appreciated!

Not sure i understand your itinerary. Are you saying:

Day 1 disembark Seward. 3 hr transfer to Anc. Pick up rental car then drive 240 miles to Denali

Day 2 denai

Day 3 denali

Day 4 drive back to Anc

If so, day 1 will be a very long travel day! By the time you get to anchorage, pick up your car and grab lunch, it will be at least 1pm, then you're facing a 5-6 hr drive to Denali, possibly longer depending on hwy construction. And that 5-6 hrs doesn't include stops for wildlife, scenery or points of interest.

I wouldn't necessarily overnight in Anchorage. Maybe Talkeetna which the halfway point.

You might also price a one-way rental car fro Hertz in Seward. Its pricey, but would give you the opportunity to sightsee in and around Seward, plus enjoy the many sights along the Turnagain Arm in the last hr before Anchorage, like Alyeska, byron glacier hike, portage lake/glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, gold panning, Potters Marsh,.....

Depending on the price difference, you could keep the one-way for all 4 days, or, drop it in Anc and get RT rental for the other 3 days.

With a full dsy of sightseeing on day 1, you could overnight in Wasilla, about an hr north of Anc.

Thank you for your suggestions! I wasn't considering driving partway but that may work out better and avoid a very long day. I don't think we can get a car in Seward since we come in on Sunday and it looks like rental agencies are closed. I thought of staying in Anchorage since we have to go there for the car.

I think we will be flying out of Fairbanks (after Denali) to save time and prices are better. I know we will pay quite a bit more for the one way car rental but so far, it seems like the best option.

On the other hand, as I am researching more and more, someone suggested flying from Anchorage to Fairbanks. At a quick glance, it may cost about $90 per person (there are 3 of us) but will save about $700 on the rental car! I am sure we are going to miss some gorgeous scenery and stops so need to weigh this as a possibility.

Sorry for the confusion but your suggestions and that of others I am talking to are really helping me to look at as many options as I can!

Thank you for your suggestions! I wasn't considering driving partway but that may work out better and avoid a very long day. I don't think we can get a car in Seward since we come in on Sunday and it looks like rental agencies are closed. I thought of staying in Anchorage since we have to go there for the car.

I think we will be flying out of Fairbanks (after Denali) to save time and prices are better. I know we will pay quite a bit more for the one way car rental but so far, it seems like the best option.

On the other hand, as I am researching more and more, someone suggested flying from Anchorage to Fairbanks. At a quick glance, it may cost about $90 per person (there are 3 of us) but will save about $700 on the rental car! I am sure we are going to miss some gorgeous scenery and stops so need to weigh this as a possibility.

Sorry for the confusion but your suggestions and that of others I am talking to are really helping me to look at as many options as I can!

You sound like me when I first thought of just getting to Denali as fast as I could the morning we disembarked in Seward. You are already in Seward and the question I asked myself was why totally blow off such a great port/opportunity to spend way too long and write off a full day in a car? Do you have zero interest in Seward? Is that intentional? With me, it was ignorance.

Since you said it was an option, here's what I recommend. Spend a night in Anchorage. There are many things to see and do, depending on your interests. Drive to Denali and spend two nights there. You will need one full day (if you do it right) to go into the park. Drive to Fairbanks. There are some gorgeous views along the road from Denali to Fairbanks. Spend a night in Fairbanks. Depending on what time you arrive, and what time your flight leaves the next day, there are options for things to see and do in Fairbanks.

We flew into Fairbanks and spent a week doing a DIY land tour before boarding the cruise ship in Seward. Each day we thought we had seen the best that Alaska has to offer and the next day it was as good or better than the previous day. If you have the opportunity, take that extra day and drive as many places as you can. Our "Once in a lifetime" trip turned out to be a first in a lifetime. Alaska has so much to offer. We will need to go back more than once to see all we want to see.

I recall that the hertz office in seward is open every day in the summer. Call to verify.

If you choose to fly Anc to Fai, here's an option to consider:

Day 1 disembark, get a one-way rental car for Seward to Anc in order to enjoy the sights along the way, overnight in Girdwood

Day 2 fly to Fai, pick up rental car. Visit the pipeline and any other sights of interest. Drive 2 1/2 hrs to denali to o/n

Day 3 shuttle into park

Day 4 free sled dog demo at 10am, and more if you have a red-eye out of Fai

You sound like me when I first thought of just getting to Denali as fast as I could the morning we disembarked in Seward. You are already in Seward and the question I asked myself was why totally blow off such a great port/opportunity to spend way too long and write off a full day in a car? Do you have zero interest in Seward? Is that intentional? With me, it was ignorance.

Not intentional - definitely ignorance here also. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I did some research on Seward and would love to do the Kenai Fjords tour. We can go to Exit Glacier in the morning and then Kenai Fjords or just the full day Kenai Fjords cruise. I would have liked to get a head start on Anchorage that night but it may be necessary to have a hotel that we can leave our luggage at while touring Seward.

My thoughts are now:

Day 1 Seward

Day 2 Seward to Anchorage, pick up rental car and drive to Talkeetna

Day 3 Drive to Denali - sightseeing on our own by car

Day 4 Denali Park by green bus

Day 5 Fairbanks and flight out

or we combine days 2 and 3 making it a really long day but giving us a full day in Denali on our own. It seems I have already added one extra day to the trip and may need to really think about adding more!

or - if there is a safe place to store our luggage while exploring Seward, we may be better off to take the bus to Anchorage that night, pick up the rental car the next morning and get an early start towards Denali. This may actually be the best use of our time but I am not finding clear answers on storage of luggage. Can anyone help?

Thank you for all of your help. Thinking out loud and hearing your suggestions is really opening my eyes to how much is there that I am not going to be able to fit in - this time!

People on the Alaska threads are very helpful. You can contact Major Marine or the Kenai Fjords tours about storing luggage. That 6 pm train (maybe 6:10) is a Goldstar and a domed train with incredible scenery. It's not cheap but includes dinner. It's an event and excursion in itself. We're doing the 7.5 hour tour from Major Marine ad it includes a nice lunch buffet and your own table for the day as a base. I think you go right from their ship to the train. We're actually doing the 7.5 hour tour on day 1, getting dinner there and staying there and doing kayak to Bear Glacier on the next day and then taking the Goldstar to Anchorage and flying out on a red eye.

We decided against Denali at all after originally thinking it was the be all and end all. It was a full day of driving and then a full day on a school bus IN Denali and risk of what you see based on weather. We may never get back to Alaska, but I'm comfortable with our choices. If we do get back to Alaska, we would fly to Anchorage and go to Denali from there and then start in Seward. Starting in Vancouver, I think Seward made more sense for us.

If you take the train, you would pick up the rental car in Anc on day 2 and drive to denali. (I though you were flying anc-fai )

Or, pick up a car in seward, then leave immediately after the kenai cruise....stop at Exit Glacier on your way out of town, and drive 80 miles to Summit Lake Lodge or 20 miles further to Girdwood. Enjoy the Turnagain Arm, have lunch, then head to Denali.

BUT, I think you're getting ahead of yourself; trying to put an itinerary together before you've done the research. Slow down and do some research to determine how best to maximize your time in Alaska. Read trip reports that include DIY land, or read trip reports on the Alaska Forum of trip advisor (much better than cruise critic for land travel advice).

Yes, the vendors in Seward will store bags. You time is too short frankly, if you can add days, by all means do so. At this point, you need to leave Seward after a Kenai Fjords tour. Then take the bus, or train to Anchorage. Next day head to Denali, with a one way rental car. Spend the day, enjoying the transit, be certain to get THE MILEPOST so to have the detailed reference. Overnight near the National Park, following day- shuttle bus. The decision for Fairbanks or Anchorage. I'd strongly suggest, at the least have some time for touring/ Fly home. I've flown Fairbanks/Anchorage several times. Use this option if it gains you some of your touring preferences. Maple has the example.

I too would suggest, you back up and really find out about the potential. Especially taking a close look at THE MILEPOST and determine if any places, you don't want to pass by. Could be an interest in some of the fantastic hiking, touring etc. Take advantage of being there. Then you will have a far better insight into your planning and can fine tune a great trip.

My suggestion Take the train or a tour bus from Seward to Anchorage. Anchorage is fun for an overnight or two. The museum is fantastic. Some of the food is worth a trip! Moose tooth pizza and the halibut at the F street station.

Oh, Moose Tooth! That alone is worth the trip to Anchorage. I worked for the Fish and Wildlife Service in Alaska 20 years ago. Loves Moose’s Tooth!

There used to be a backpackers shuttle that ran from Anchorage to Denali. Seems like it was around $50 round trip, but my memory is very fuzzy on that. And I’m sure prices have changed since then.

Janet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you're taking the 6pm train to Anc, you can check your luggage at the depot around 8am (call to verify the time), or, you can leave it with whichever vendor you use for the Kenai cruise.
We dropped our luggage at the train station in the morning for the evening train. They even have a room next to the ticket counter where you can leave bags you intend to carry-on as well as checking in the luggage for Anchorage.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We dropped our luggage at the train station in the morning for the evening train. They even have a room next to the ticket counter where you can leave bags you intend to carry-on as well as checking in the luggage for Anchorage.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I know you can leave your luggage at the depot....it's the time I'm not sure of. Do you recall? Hopefully the poster will find out and post the info.