All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I was worried there for a minute...I thought I'd been left behind...LOL!

I've been really busy with guests for the Grammy Show. I was driving up and back from the airport several times and making huge breakfasts every morning as I hosted the DS and his new "girlfriend that isn't a girlfriend", one of his fraternity brothers, and one of my BFFs that came from AZ to go to the Grammy Show with us.

Next up is a trip to AZ for the DS's fraternity's "Mom's Weekend". Then it's off to San Diego in early April for my niece's Engagement Party and dress fitting. I'm hoping to go back to FL for Mother's Day in May.

So what is everyone else up to?

While we're waiting for Laurie's cruise pics, here's what I chose to take to PB. The color in the pictures is not good because I had to take them in the evening and the light is bad.

First, my travel outfit. It's going to be in the 30s when we leave, and only mid-60s in FL. I'm wearing jeans and my sneaker/boots. When I get to FL I'll change to the brown sandals for lunch:

PB01.jpg

That night I'll change into a prettier top and jewelry, wear the same sweater with some skinny capri pants, and the brown suede sandals again:

PB02.jpg

Saturday morning I'll either do Zumba or rent a bike, so I'm bringing workout clothes. DH likes to sleep in. Shocking, right? Then we'll have lunch with his cousins at their condo dining room. I'll wear this outfit with the bronze flats in case she wants to walk after lunch. This is yet another Pleione top with my fave taupe ankle pants:

PB03.jpg

For Saturday night out I had nothing, so I bought this rich NAVY dress. I wanted something simple but elegant that could dress up or down, since she'll probably be in pants and a very dressy jacket plus jewelry, and we're going somewhere VERY nice. It doesn't look like anything on the hanger, but it is so nice on, it's all about the detail in the tailoring. I had some very specific jewelry of my own in mind when I bought it. I'll wear it with my tan platform pumps and a matching lacy sweater:

PB04.jpg

Anita, I wanted to show you the detail on the top because the sewing is divine. The top is a very thick, heavy satin, and I think the rest is rayon. It has that lay flat stitch you were talking about which gives detail to the front and the borders. And the fabric just drapes so nicely:

PB05.jpg

For Sunday brunch I'm wearing this purple Pleione top and blue capris with the brown sandals. I'll change into my jeans and boots at the airport:

2253d395-ca1a-41da-bf8b-961ea8189d02.jpg

Here are the shoes. The ones on the left are my traveling boots:

PB07.jpg

For me, this is a lot of clothes for just three days. But, it's not a beach trip, and there will be lots of socializing. In fact, I'm not even bringing a bathing suit since it won't be very warm.

Edited by MJC

PB = Palm Beach

I'm glad you named the colors Margaret because they didn't photograph well at all. I would never have guessed that dress was NAVY. The stitching in fabulous on that dress...actually, it looks like the raw edge was finished with a rolled hem stitch using a fancy thread and then the normal straight stitch to attach the panels of fabric.

I love the beautiful finishing of the neckline and the arm holes too. Is that the same fabric as the upper bodice on the dress? It seems to have a bit more shine to it, but that could just be because it is likely cut on the bias to be more flexible to wrap the edges. It is so well done though, you can't even see the stitching to wrap the edges... I think they must have used a technique called stitch in the ditch where they sewed the bias edge to the dress with right sides together, and then turned it under and sewed again in the seam (to hide the presence of the stitching), hence the name stitch in the ditch.

Can you tell from my description?

I think it is these techniques that elevate the quality of home sewing.

I love all your shirts. Are they all woven fabrics? I've decided that ultimately, I need more woven fabric tops. I think the structure of the fabric and it's ability to better skim the body and have better drape will be more flattering than the knits that I have been wearing.

Also, you can get such better prints in wovens...at least, it seems to me to be that way.

I agree that it seems like a lot of outfits for a shorter trip, but when you are going to be doing as much socializing as you are...it's very fitting.

I like your jewelry choices too...but they are a bit hard to see. The pop of color with the blue top and the purple multi-strand are really nice touches.

I know you are used to your heels, but still, my toes cringe just seeing those pumps! :rolleyes:

Those all look like Palm Beach clothes! I'm not familiar with the brand Pleione, where do you find it? Melody

They are at Nordstrom's, but I've gotten the majority of mine at the Nordstrom's Rack where they are usually at least half off. They're 100% polyester with enough weight that they aren't at all sheer, but still light enough to drape nicely. I wash them in the sink and they dry quickly with no wrinkles, so great for travel too.

I'm glad you named the colors Margaret because they didn't photograph well at all. I would never have guessed that dress was NAVY. The stitching in fabulous on that dress...actually, it looks like the raw edge was finished with a rolled hem stitch using a fancy thread and then the normal straight stitch to attach the panels of fabric.

I love the beautiful finishing of the neckline and the arm holes too. Is that the same fabric as the upper bodice on the dress? It seems to have a bit more shine to it, but that could just be because it is likely cut on the bias to be more flexible to wrap the edges. It is so well done though, you can't even see the stitching to wrap the edges... I think they must have used a technique called stitch in the ditch where they sewed the bias edge to the dress with right sides together, and then turned it under and sewed again in the seam (to hide the presence of the stitching), hence the name stitch in the ditch.

Can you tell from my description?

What you describe sounds very accurate. You are right, the armholes are done in the same satin-like fabric as the top. The label says it is viscose, which surprised me because it has such a soft, smooth hand. I took some pictures of it wrong side out. If you'd like to see them, I'll email them to you. If I post them here, I'll have to shrink them and lose some of the detail.

I also love that it has pockets. They are so beautifully done and lay so flat that they don't affect the fall of the dress at all.

Thinking about all the work that went into this "simple" dress got me thinking. So, I dug the price tag out of the trash to see what the original price was. I was able to peel off several layers of stickers...

$345.00 :eek:

I got it for $75, no tax. Score!! :D:D Now I love it even more!

Margaret, I would love to see the more detailed photos! If you are able to send them to me (don't know how big the files really are)...send them to that most recent email address.

It makes sense that dress would be in that price range! The work on it is very fine and clean. It's that attention to detail that makes such a simple dress into something that actually is just easy to wear, but not truly simple at all...it's very sophisticated.

And to hear it has pockets! LOVE!!

My latest sewing project is breaking my "rules" for this year regarding purchasing new projects. We did find a beautiful brocade for DS' waistcoat. I found him a suit (Alfani Black Label at Macy's) on a huge discount on President's Day. It's a great quality suit, especially for the price...I'm SO happy about this purchase. It's black, of course. I'm making the waistcoat out of this fabric:

http://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yaya-han-brocade-fabric-metallic-black/14749063.html#q=Brocade+Fabric&start=4

Then we may or may not bring in some coordination with his GF's dress coat with his tie and pocket square.

I've been thinking that a silver pocket square might be really nice...nothing too gaudy...a very white silver. The dress still hasn't been purchased...she's thinking it might be this navy one she tried on.

I happen to really like navy and black together. I'm still debating about the tie. I think it could just be a nice classic look to have a solid black tie.

They are at Nordstrom's, but I've gotten the majority of mine at the Nordstrom's Rack where they are usually at least half off. They're 100% polyester with enough weight that they aren't at all sheer, but still light enough to drape nicely. I wash them in the sink and they dry quickly with no wrinkles, so great for travel too.

Awesome, thanks Margaret! Nordstrom Rack arrives here in Colorado Springs in early April!!! I like the look of those blouses & I've been known to buy a few pair of shoes in Nordstroms [emoji6]. Melody

Anita,

Don't worry...we'll fill up this thread soon...and it won't be lonely anymore! LOL!

Laurie,

Sorry to hear that she got the shingles! Hope it's a slight case and not adversely affecting her trip. Such a bummer! But knowing Laurie...she's making the best of it.

Margaret,

Love your outfits for Palm Beach and I agree with others that given your social schedule...you're not taking too much.

I especially liked the top in your travel outfit to Palm Beach. I like the whole outfit...but the top really caught my eye!

Hope you have a great trip to FL.

In General,

I can't remember...is any of our posters here from Virginia or in any of the other places where these tornadoes are tearing things up? I have some friends in Virginia that I haven't heard from though I've e-mailed them a couple of times! I'm getting worried. I'll have to look up their phone no. and give them a call. I've been corresponding with them via e-mail almost every day since we met them on our cruise back in 2012. Gotta dig up that phone no.

We've been having summer weather here for two weeks now. We're loving it but it just seems weird to have 86 degree weather in Feb.!!!:eek: Not complaining though given what the folks back East are going through!

Edited by mousey

I have friends in Virginia that lost 3 over 100 year old trees, their gazebo & an old truck (that they were getting ready to take off their insurance). Just property damage & fixable. They said it was unbelievable to watch the tornado rip thru their property. Melody

mousey, I was thinking of you when I watched the Grammys. I always tape it because I fast forward through everything but the live performances. It was especially helpful this time so I could skip Justin Bieber. :) Poor Adele. It's mortifying to perform poorly before colleagues, let alone on national TV.

I had another basal cell carcinoma removed from my arm today. Wear your sunscreen, ladies! It's your best fashion accessory. ;)

Mousey, fully concur. I had a squamous cancer removed from my ring finger a couple of weeks ago, just found out that they're going to have to do a considerable bit more surgery on it. Luckily I was finally able to get my wedding ring off (have never had it off before, over 46 years). Doc is now going to micro goggle every freckle on my hands/arms as he didn't think this was anything, didn't have any "cancer" characteristics, but removed it because it was hurting (another nonchacteristic). Ladies, check yourself, if anything looks (or feels) off, get it checked. See a dermatologist once a year for a full body check. I was a redhead that lived in & loved the sun. Now I wear big hats, SPF50 clothing, sunscreen that I reapply once an hour. I do spray tan when we cruise as I like the glow. Sorry for the soapbox Melody

Melody, my husband had to have reconstructive surgery on his ear. They removed skin from his neck to make his ear look better. So, I know a bit about what you are talking about. He now wears large brimmed hats when in the sun instead of ballcaps. I hope all goes well.

Large leap here to another topic, but I'm super excited and need/want input from any of our EARTH/FIRE ladies wanting to join us for a MeetnGreet Cruise! If you'd be interested in joining us for a talk-giggle-talk-some-more cruise, send me a quick email at aoknkentucky at gmail dot com. I will send you a reply and we will begin compiling data. I'll respond to emails on Monday, February 29 since my weekends are pretty hectic. Thanks ya'll.

Hey everyone! I'm at the airport and thought I'd send a quick note. We had a lovely vacation. The shingles didn't stop me, nor the minor cold mid week. We had wonderful weather. We didn't get to Grand Cayman though as they were expecting bad weather and closed the port to tendering. Our captain steered clear of it so we just ended up with wind in the afternoon. Can you believe we are on part two of this thread? Wow!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk