Christmas and New Years onboard SS

SeekingShelter

This year, for the first time ever, we will be onboard a SS ship for the holidays.

Can cruisers with previous experience cruising on these specific dates on SS tell us what special observances (or not) happen onboard?

Will there be a turkey dinner option?

I was planning to make a special donation to the crew fund as our acknowledgment to the crew for the holiday (which they will obviously be working), but was wondering if there are other traditions we might want to observe.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, turkey dinner is available. For NYE we needed reservations even for the main restaurant. Should be done early.

We have experienced it twice already (Australia and Panama cruises ses) and will repeat it soon.

The holidays are very festive on Silversea. The NYE dinner will almost certainly be formal, with a wonderful menu. Since people would be gravitating there, but it would make sense that there would be reservations required in Restaurant so that people were not waiting. As I recall, La Terrazza was closed for a couple of evenings so that crew could dine there for a holiday dinner. Good for the HD/Captain for making such provisions. I believe there were also special religious provisions for crew who wanted to attend Christmas mass.

I’m very glad to find out that there will be something for the crew. (I was having some moments of guilt).

You can be certain that some guest(s?) will complain loudly that they cannot sup in La Terrazza on those couple of evenings crew enjoy a holiday dinner there. :) Actually, I am not certain that such arrangements are fleet-wide among the non-expedition ships. I can't recall whether I saw this on one or two Silversea sailings. I was very pleased to see the crew enjoying the moment. But it may be that these events were simply the choice of the Master or HD.

This year will be our 20th Christmas/New Year Silversea cruise. It is our favorite and so festive. We are on the Whisper, so we'll be in the MDR for the formal evenings (there are usually three) and if the weather is warm, New Year's Eve, the countdown will be on the pool deck with a huge drop down screen.

On which ship are you, SeekingShelter?.

This upcoming Christmas/New Years holiday will be my first non Silversea cruise in about 15 years, They do a lovely job of making the holiday cruises festive. I’m taking a year off mostly to see if I can do it. My late husband hated..literally..the holidays, so going “away” was an attempt to distract him. He had done his best to be upbeat when our children were at home, but when they were grown up, he wanted OUT of the circus and mandatory cheer. Silversea manages to be festively decorated, features traditional holiday menus, and, weather permitting has a New Years Eve deck party which is always great fun. He actually caught the spirit of the season and enjoyed himself as sailed thru exotic scenery. Especially wonderful was a Christmas Eve afternoon as we cruised through the Chilean fiords..magical!

Somewhat Ironically, as a recent widow, I took two of my children and two granddaughters to Africa on the Cloud. The little girls were the only children on the ship. They loved dressing up, the crew doted on them, and they reveled in the lovely decorations..especially the fabulous gingerbread houses and Christmas cookies.

I don’t think you could go wrong booking a cruise over the holidays..young or old, everyone seems to have a great time. And, definitely donate to The Crew Fund..it has always felt especially important to be generous at this special time.

This upcoming Christmas/New Years holiday will be my first non Silversea cruise in about 15 years, They do a lovely job of making the holiday cruises festive. I’m taking a year off mostly to see if I can do it. My late husband hated..literally..the holidays, so going “away” was an attempt to distract him. He had done his best to be upbeat when our children were at home, but when they were grown up, he wanted OUT of the circus and mandatory cheer. Silversea manages to be festively decorated, features traditional holiday menus, and, weather permitting has a New Years Eve deck party which is always great fun. He actually caught the spirit of the season and enjoyed himself as sailed thru exotic scenery. Especially wonderful was a Christmas Eve afternoon as we cruised through the Chilean fiords..magical!

Somewhat Ironically, as a recent widow, I took two of my children and two granddaughters to Africa on the Cloud. The little girls were the only children on the ship. They loved dressing up, the crew doted on them, and they reveled in the lovely decorations..especially the fabulous gingerbread houses and Christmas cookies.

I don’t think you could go wrong booking a cruise over the holidays..young or old, everyone seems to have a great time. And, definitely donate to The Crew Fund..it has always felt especially important to be generous at this special time.

Interesting post, and it reminds me (from my several holiday cruises) that Silversea celebrates the holidays in a mature, tasteful, low key way. So even a holiday-hater will not be upset. Yes, there will be decorations and gingerbread houses and special events (for those who want them) and some caroling by crew. The CD or someone may dress as Santa and make the rounds. It's festive in the Silversea manner and in no way over-the-top.

Thank you, CruisinPashmina, for the thoughtful, well crafted reply. We’re trying a holiday cruise for many of the same reasons you and your late husband did: An escape from extended family obligations and obligatory cheer. Now that we’re empty-nesters we thought we’d try something different which will allow both of us to relax.

Observer: mature, tasteful, low key is exactly what we’re hoping for!

Mature, low key, tasteful....perfect description, and this pretty much describes Silversea as we now know it. I usually add this: friendly, well traveled fellow passengers and excellent crew with no hand kissing.

I feel sure that you’ll have a wonderful holiday...this is all making me consider changing my mind about staying home this year!

Mature, low key, tasteful....perfect description, and this pretty much describes Silversea as we now know it. I usually add this: friendly, well traveled fellow passengers and excellent crew with no hand kissing.

I feel sure that you’ll have a wonderful holiday...this is all making me consider changing my mind about staying home this year!

Join us on the Whisper!