Royal Caribbean is buying majority stake in Silversea for $1bn

Keith1010

• 3 weeks later...

Just received a marketing survey from Silversea.

Basically one compares the stripped down fare on a sample cruise with 3 other packages which are priced more. Trying to narrow down what one would pay for some additional perks, some of which are already included in the basic price NOW.

Disconcerting as it comes on the heels of the buy out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I wasn't impressed with the additional offerings. And I'd rather not see multiple classes of service on expedition cruises.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I have not received the survey. Was it limited to expedition cruises (which you mention)? Or does it apply to traditional cruises as well? Given your specifying expedition cruises, would you also object to a program like this on traditional (non expedition) cruises?

And so the nickel and dime-ing begins.

Good above summary!! The question is all about what Silversea seeks with this type of surveying. They started well in testing our past cruise history, future general travel interests, etc. Having worked professionally with many top survey experts nationally, I have had much questionnaire development and analysis experience. It, however, became very easy to see as to where they were really headed with this "research". Their main "game" was money!! And how to get more out of our wallets and from my credit card. That's Business 101. Understand that normal objective/goal.

But, they could and should have asked more and much better questions about what customers really want and value. Why be so balatantly obvious about only seeking justifications for trying to "pick our pockets" deeper and deeper with various twists and turns?

At the end, there was, fortunately, an open-ended opportunity for me to make any added comments. Here is what I posted back to them: "Stick to the luxury 'basics' and doing these important services very well. Many of these ideas being tested seem like a 'money grub' seeking to hide and justify higher charges/fees for many things that are of limited value and use for most customers. Why not ask about stopping your group bookings of drunk sales groups being recruited by Silversea? Those types of rude groups can and do become disruptive to a quality experience that is totally against the SS 'culture' and contrary for normal, expected passenger enjoyment?"

Reactions? THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 40,204 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Well said Terry,

IMHO they should be thinking about getting right what they already charge a large sum for and not making such blatant attempts at squeezing more $’s out of people. I’m not sure how they expected to get this past everyone without them noticing, especially considering the highly publicised recent news about the takeover.

It looks to me like another very poor management decision.

I have not received the survey. Was it limited to expedition cruises (which you mention)? Or does it apply to traditional cruises as well? Given your specifying expedition cruises, would you also object to a program like this on traditional (non expedition) cruises?
The first question was I think a way to tell whether we prefer expedition cruises vs traditional cruises. Once I answered, the rest of the questions were focused on whether I'd pay more for extra stuff on a hypothetical expedition cruise...

I think this is most of it.

Luggage delivery between home and ship and back.

Private transfers between airport and pier and back.

In-suite premium food and beverage setup.

Exclusive onshore experiences (not more defined than that, presumably above and beyond the usual tours).

Enhanced wifi up to 4 devices

Unlimited satellite calling worldwide

Early checkin and late checkout.

It depended upon the package one selected.

There were three for the hypothetical med cruise.

One was to decide basic cruise at a certain price point vs three other packages with varying items and perks, for which one would pay extra.

The survey deftly led the person answering through a series of prices, each slide of the grouping had prices that changed based upon the selection one made. The idea was to get a narrow window of what one might pay.

The three packed were a relaxation, a adventurer and a gourmet. I don't remember the titles but that was the general theme.

I don't have any issue with being asked my opinion. This survey was not to ask my opinion but instead was rather manipulative and I think the message was quite clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Survey: I didn’t want to get lured in; I told them that I like Silversea the way it is. My gut feeling is that this “survey” is indicative of what is probably in the pipeline. Anyone else troubled?

I feel certain that ALL of the old timers are aware of the gradual chipping away of the almost unbelievable luxury of the 1990s SS..but, the character of the line remained.

I started feeling troubled, but only a bit, when the Silver Spirit was launched. We always booked for the itineraries, so we sailed on the Spirit many times. We didn’t like the hotel lobby feeling of the bar, the dining room felt too big and too segmented..but, the fabulous crew, the iconic “Italian feel” encouraged us to overlook the Spirit’s departure from the smaller ships’ atmosphere.

And then along came the Muse with no Main Diningroom, cavernous Main bar, weird art, and dreary colors, and now the take over. As I asked: Anyone else feel troubled?

ps: I’m concerned, but not giving up. Two big cruises booked, working on booking another...and really trying to stay optimistic.

And then along came the Muse with no Main Diningroom, cavernous Main bar, weird art, and dreary colors, and now the take over. As I asked: Anyone else feel troubled?
Nope! Just finished our second voyage on the Muse. It has become our favorite ship.

You’ll be happy to know a great deal of the art was different than the voyage we took in November. A little something for everyone.

ps: I’m concerned, but not giving up. Two big cruises booked, working on booking another...and really trying to stay optimistic.
Good for you! We just booked the Shadow for this winter and have the Cloud booked in the winter of 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Survey: ... My gut feeling is that this “survey” is indicative of what is probably in the pipeline. Anyone else troubled?

I am not troubled by the possibility that they will add options for packages. A lot of the items mentioned (premium wi fi, airport transfers, special tours, laundry, etc.) are currently available on a piecemeal basis or available to guests in top suites. I recall that they offered early boarding for a price some years ago but discontinued it. I have no problem with opt-in options. What would trouble me would be including these items in the fare (like Regent or Viking with "free" tours) without a reasonable opt-out possibility.

I have no problem with opt-in options. What would trouble me would be including these items in the fare (like Regent or Viking with "free" tours) without a reasonable opt-out possibility.
I agree with you 100%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Project Invictus.

uncontested leader in ultra-luxury cruising and expedition

This is a dynamite combination

magnified ship revitalization

enhanced drydock

It all sound wonderful.

Link below copied from Cruise industry news website.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19439-royal-caribbean-completes-silversea-acquisition-announces-project-invictus.html

We have the Wind in Apr and Whisper in July so are intrigued to see what the dry docks will achieve.

Our fear is that 738 on the Wind might be part of the plan and we might get turfed out into a normal suite. :eek:

Appreciate this helpful link and follow-up. Here are the specifics from this story of most interest to me: "The first Invictus enhancements will begin rolling out on the Silver Muse this upcoming August 19th where an upgraded champagne and caviar offering will be initiated. The planned renovation of Silver Whisper in December 2018 will be much more comprehensive than initially anticipated and will include a partial refit of all guest cabins. The Silver Wind will also enter into an enhanced drydock in December 2018. Both vessels will join the overarching plan for a fleet-wide "Musification" which will take inspiration from the design of the Silver Muse. The plan will be completed shortly after with an enhanced drydock of the Silver Shadow."

In planning an Alaska July 2019 sailing on Silver Muse, not sure how important the "upgraded champagne and caviar offering" will be for me personally. Caviar is OK for me, but not the highest, must-have need. Others might view this offering very differently. Seems to indicate that the Silver Wind will not be made into an expedition ship as happened with the Silver Cloud. Correct assumption?

Other reactions, insights and background?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,008 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Edited by TLCOhio

Appreciate this helpful link and follow-up. Here are the specifics from this story of most interest to me: "The first Invictus enhancements will begin rolling out on the Silver Muse this upcoming August 19th where an upgraded champagne and caviar offering will be initiated. The planned renovation of Silver Whisper in December 2018 will be much more comprehensive than initially anticipated and will include a partial refit of all guest cabins. The Silver Wind will also enter into an enhanced drydock in December 2018. Both vessels will join the overarching plan for a fleet-wide "Musification" which will take inspiration from the design of the Silver Muse. The plan will be completed shortly after with an enhanced drydock of the Silver Shadow."

In planning an Alaska July 2019 sailing on Silver Muse, not sure how important the "upgraded champagne and caviar offering" will be for me personally. Caviar is OK for me, but not the highest, must-have need. Others might view this offering very differently. Seems to indicate that the Silver Wind will not be made into an expedition ship as happened with the Silver Cloud.

Other reactions, insights and background?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,008 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

If I am reading it correctly both Wind and Whisper will be Musificated (the term grates!), at least partially, in the dry docks at the end of the year. We board Whisper one cruise after her drydock so I am really interested to know what that means. A new restaurant maybe or just a general tizz-up? We can live in hope. Anyone have any ideas? Having one cruise between the drydock and the World cruise if past Silversea performance is anything to go on is going to be a good thing!