Silver Galapagos and Cumbre Volcano

Spree75

We sail in about 60 days and noticed on the original itinerary a stop on Isla Fernandina where the Cumbre Volcano is erupting. I'm guessing that stop has been rerouted? Just wondering from people that may have just gotten back on what the cruise has been like and what has had to be changed. Is there any concern about volcanic ash making flights to the Galapagos a problem?

From what I can see, Cumbre is in the far south west of Fernandina, a long way from Punta Espinosa in the north east. And it looks as though the eruption is already dying down.

Perhaps of more concern is that Sierra Negra on Isabela started erupting last night. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/rockyplanet/2018/06/27/second-galapagos-eruption-in-june-this-time-at-sierra-negra/#.WzT-2dJKiM8 and https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/sierra-negra/news/69547/Sierra-Negra-volcano-Galapagos-strong-earthquakes-precede-the-start-of-a-first-fissure-eruption-sinc.html. It looks as though the main threat is to the south east of Isabela as Puerto Villamil is where the evacuation alerts are. So that might impact Bahia Elizabeth calls, and mean a wider detour en route to Floreana. Only the western itinerary goes anywhere near these two volcanoes.

The prevailing winds are from the south east, so given the location of the airports, it's unlikely there will be any impact on flights (looks as though Cumbre was mainly steam, not ash in any case).

Hope that is some reassurance.

Thanks for the reassurance. I got a note from my TA that their office down there is monitoring the situation but so far nothing from Silverseas about modifying any itinerary. So that's good I guess. My cruise has the stop on Fernandina and two stops on Isabela so I was curious how the volcanoes might affect things.