Norwegian Getaway 9/9 through 9/16

GA Dave

I have wondered if this would actually be allowed. Since the plumbing on the ships isn't the same as at your house, I had assumed the "quality" of the TP had more to do with what is actually flush-able on board and less to do with cost savings. Otherwise you'd expect to see higher quality TP in the Haven, right? I am sure "flushable" wipes are NOT an option...

I think you're right Jamie, I think of a ship's plumbing system as being similar to a boat, trailer or home using a septic system. I know that many pax put things down the toilet that they shouldn't which could, very well, be the reason for some of the plumbing problems on the ships.

The paper used in situations like this are very different and quite expensive too but, to keep a system like this working correctly, it pays to use the right product.

Hope I'm correct but if not... oh well... :')

I think you're right Jamie, I think of a ship's plumbing system as being similar to a boat, trailer or home using a septic system. I know that many pax put things down the toilet that they shouldn't which could, very well, be the reason for some of the plumbing problems on the ships.

The paper used in situations like this are very different and quite expensive too but, to keep a system like this working correctly, it pays to use the right product.

Hope I'm correct but if not... oh well... :')

Sorry, but that would be wrong. They buy it because it is cheap, any ol' TP will do. As Chengkp75 has commented so many times, its a vacuum system and then is processed as waste water.

Same as many businesses on land, some get the better stuff, most just get the cheapest thing their supplier offers.

Final thoughts:

Overall, the trip met or exceeded our expectations in almost every way. The food was excellent, except for Tropicana and Shanghai's. The entertainment was outstanding, truly a world-class experience. My DW and I felt we definitely received our money's worth out of both the UBP and the SDP. Our excursions were very good, with Harvest Caye being the highlight of this trip. The staff we dealt with were all attentive, friendly and very efficient. The Haven was an outstanding experience. My DW and I have already starting planning our next Haven adventure, preferring to take a trip in the Haven every other year than a regular cruise more often.

As with all vacations, there were a few minor issues. We will learn from these for our future cruises:

Having read so many complaints on CC about lounger hogs around the main pool, I never expected to find this in the Haven. Unfortunately, we did. There are some people that simply do not understand common courtesy and will place their "clips" on the limited number of loungers and then go to breakfast, go to naps, etc. I guess the Haven is not immune to rude, inconsiderate people as well.

The remote controls for the televisions on the Getaway are very frustrating. They can only be used within a few feet of the TV and only when directly in front.

The TP in the restrooms is not good. Quite a challenge. We plan to bring our own in the future.

Overall, I give this trip a big thumbs up.

Thank you for your wonderful review and all the pictures. We will be getting on in just a few days and it was nice to see it all.

• There was a strong police presence in the harbor area. They looked to be carrying Uzis or MP-5s. It may have been due to the protestors outside the main gate.
  • The protestors had signs claiming that the cruise lines and tourists are destroying their environment with trash, etc. The interesting part is that, while on our bus headed to the beach, we passed a long stretch of waterfront with all kinds of trash on the shore. Most of the trash did not look like anything that a cruise line or its passengers would be throwing out (pizza boxes, bleach bottles, Coke bottles).

I would have to bet that very little of the trash on their shores is from tourists and cruise ships. We spent a week on Utila, Honduras where no cruise ships go and very little tourism other than divers who would be the last to pollute and the trash on the shorelines was probably 3 feet deep with bottles, shoes, flipflops and all kinds of regular trash. Same stuff you see on all the roadsides of Caribbean islands from the locals dumping their garbage.

• 3 months later...

Can you tell me what is Karaoke Blast? I see it listed on your Getaway Daily, and is it offered everyday?

Also am I able to see more than one day of the daily activities from your cruise? ( I apologize if some of my questions have obvious answers or answers you may have already post. I don't maneuver very well on this site)