I'm terrified!!!!!!!!!

SeaCookie94

I'm going on my first cruise soon and my biggest concern is hitting rough seas. Am I overreacting????

I'm prone to seasickness so I always bring Bonine with me just in case. I also have a SeaBand. Most of the time, I don't even need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult-Wristband-Color-1-Pair/dp/B001F731N0

I'm sure you are going to be fine. Have a great cruise!:)

I'm prone to seasickness so I always bring Bonine with me just in case. I also have a SeaBand. Most of the time, I don't even need it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Adult-Wristband-Color-1-Pair/dp/B001F731N0

I'm sure you are going to be fine. Have a great cruise!:)

Thank you I will make sure to get it. What is your opinion of the ship in rough high seas? Is it safe?

Thank you I will make sure to get it. What is your opinion of the ship in rough high seas? Is it safe?

So the ship may bounce a bit;) Is it safe? Has it sunk yet? Have you heard of anyone bouncing off the walls? Better bring your bands, bonine, ginger, as I predict you'll get sick just from worrying about it:eek:

I know it's gonna move lol I'm just afraid of 20ft waves crashing into the ship is all.

Your going to be between 50 and 150 feet above the water, so a 20 ft wave would not have much affect. The Captain will not take the ship into waters that present a danger to the ship or passengers. Storms with 10-20 ft seas are not going to have much impact on the ship. Seasickness is another matter. The above advice for that is correct.

However, if you are truly "terrified" about it, cruising may not be for you? I'm guessing concerned is a better term?

I have to wonder whether a cruise is the right thing for you. If you are as terrified as you seem then I think you may struggle, even if the sea is totally calm.

Have you spoken about this to the people you are going with?

The cruise itself I'm not worried about. The only thing that keeps buzzing around in my mind is if the ship will be safe in rough seas. Maybe I'm watching too many movies as someone stated lol

I'm going on my first cruise soon and my biggest concern is hitting rough seas. Am I overreacting????

What exactly is your fear? That the ship will sink? That you would get seasick?

Do a little research and see if you can find any incident where a cruise ship sank due to rough seas. They are built to withstand much much worse than the typical passenger ever sees. Cruise lines avoid the potential for encountering really bad weather like that associated with hurricanes with itinerary changes. And even on those very few days I have seen where I would term the seas as "rough", it was probably a walk in the park for the Captain and the ship. And even those days were not uncomfortable, other than the occasional comical stagger.

If you think you are prone to seasickness, there are lots of tips and tricks you can read up on. But odds are, you will have a smooth sailing.

Your going to be between 50 and 150 feet above the water, so a 20 ft wave would not have much affect. The Captain will not take the ship into waters that present a danger to the ship or passengers. Storms with 10-20 ft seas are not going to have much impact on the ship. Seasickness is another matter. The above advice for that is correct.

However, if you are truly "terrified" about it, cruising may not be for you? I'm guessing concerned is a better term?

Yes concerned is a better way to put it

Thank you for the reassuring videos from the guy from Finland.

I picked that one specifically because I took a quick glance and it seemed to be mostly theoretical, explaining how these things can happen.

Edited by Demonyte

Just got off the Getaway..sister ship to the Breakaway

We did encounter 20 ft waves and you could feel the ship swaying a bit

Start taking your Bonine before you set sail

The first night at dinner a couple came in and they had just applied their patches..it was too late..it takes at least 4 hours for the medicine to be effective...they were having a very rough time and they couldn't stay and order dinner...they retreat to their room...my advice was to have some ginger ale and get up outside and let the fresh air hit your face

The Captain will NOT take the ship into any UNSAFE conditions. Absolutely, guaranteed. Sometimes the sea conditions are more active than other times and that can make the ship pitch or roll some. But usually the ship's motion will be like you standing in a hotel lobby on land. And, the Captain will also do everything possible to even avoid rough seas. The crew doesn't like a bunch of sick passenger to clean up after any more than you want to be sick. Get Bonine. Take one the night before the cruise. Then take two or even three a day during the cruise. But.....if you are gong to be uncomfortably fearful, then maybe you should not do a cruise. Hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do though.

What exactly is your fear? That the ship will sink? That you would get seasick?

Do a little research and see if you can find any incident where a cruise ship sank due to rough seas. They are built to withstand much much worse than the typical passenger ever sees. Cruise lines avoid the potential for encountering really bad weather like that associated with hurricanes with itinerary changes. And even on those very few days I have seen where I would term the seas as "rough", it was probably a walk in the park for the Captain and the ship. And even those days were not uncomfortable, other than the occasional comical stagger.

If you think you are prone to seasickness, there are lots of tips and tricks you can read up on. But odds are, you will have a smooth sailing.

Pretty much both. I've gotten some great suggestions for the seasickness tho. I think maybe I've been watching too many ship disaster movies