Does the Gem have the world's slowest waterslide?

Norovirus595

on the Getaway my wife literally did not have enough speed to go up and around, she slid back down the tube and they had to open the hatch to get her out. The key is friction, try to have the least amount of clothing touching the slide as possible, skin to slide is the key.

The slides on the older Jewel-class ships are kiddie slides, they are not the meant-for-all-ages water slides found in amusements parks on land or at sea on the new mega-ships.

Years ago, we were on a Med cruise on the Jade in the middle of the winter. Practically no kids on board. I did not know better and was curious about the slide, so I tried it on one bleak afternoon when no one was around. I got stuck just before the bottom. Fortunately, I was able to get out, but it could have been a very embarrassing moment. ;p

Same here on the Jewel water slide. As it was relatively cold (August in Alaska), the pool was virtually empty. Got my butt stuck and had to "inch worm" my way down. Thankfully, no pictures were taken to memorialize the event.

The Jewel is due for her major drydock/overhaul/renovations next month (after her TP crossing) - will be interesting to see if the slide will be removed or not.

We are on her in Nov for the Singapore-Sydney cruise.

The Star slide was really slow, too. So they took it out!

Yeppers, however, a lady made a big fuss about it as she booked the cruise on Star because of the slides (there were 2) for her 2 kids. She wanted NCL to compensate her for the missing slides. Said it wrecked her vacation plans/bliss, and so on.

I posted the before photos of those slides and guess what she never posted again. :confused::cool:

The new deck design looks much better now.

on the Getaway my wife literally did not have enough speed to go up and around, she slid back down the tube and they had to open the hatch to get her out. The key is friction, try to have the least amount of clothing touching the slide as possible, skin to slide is the key.

Yes, I go much faster wearing the speedo than the board shorts.

The slides on the Gem and Pearl have always been ridiculously slow. Even as brand new ships people were getting stuck as you describe! I remember about 5 years after the ships were built they had the slides shut down for maintenance to try to make them work. They are just terribly, terribly designed and need to be removed.

The slides on the Gem and Pearl have always been ridiculously slow. Even as brand new ships people were getting stuck as you describe! I remember about 5 years after the ships were built they had the slides shut down for maintenance to try to make them work. They are just terribly, terribly designed and need to be removed.

Just off the Gem and the slides were never in operation!