DEP and security question

Athankfulheart

My son is in the DEP and will ship in May to time with when his navy school begins. We would like to include him in a family cruise in early March. We have requested info from his recruiter on how to handle things so that his security clearance doesnt get goofed up, but havent heard back yet. Anyone have experience or info on this type of situation ?

Were sailing to coz, roatan and belize. Would be nice to have him along one last time before he gets too busy. Son seems to think belize may be a problem ?

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

As a Navy recruiter, as long as they are aware it shouldn't be an issue. We have ours fill out a form with the details of when and where they'll be and prior to them leaving for boot camp, they will visit MEPS again. If they all have the same procedures, before swearing in that 2nd time to active duty they'll ask if there are any changes to their clearance. The recruiter should have access to his clearance still and can update it if it is still a ways out before he ships to boot camp.

All cruise ports (with the exception of some middle eastern countries) from my experience have been non-issues. Realistically, he is only going to be there a few hours. Even us already on active duty and those who have higher level clearances are approved to hit central/south american cruise ports. The investigator on his background may ask him some questions about what he did while there but as soon as he drops the cruise word and what I assume will be a tour or beach time, that's probably where it will end.

on a side note, where in missouri? I know another recruiter in the KC area.

As a Navy recruiter, as long as they are aware it shouldn't be an issue. We have ours fill out a form with the details of when and where they'll be and prior to them leaving for boot camp, they will visit MEPS again. If they all have the same procedures, before swearing in that 2nd time to active duty they'll ask if there are any changes to their clearance. The recruiter should have access to his clearance still and can update it if it is still a ways out before he ships to boot camp.

All cruise ports (with the exception of some middle eastern countries) from my experience have been non-issues. Realistically, he is only going to be there a few hours. Even us already on active duty and those who have higher level clearances are approved to hit central/south american cruise ports. The investigator on his background may ask him some questions about what he did while there but as soon as he drops the cruise word and what I assume will be a tour or beach time, that's probably where it will end.

on a side note, where in missouri? I know another recruiter in the KC area.

Thank you so much for this helpful info. Petty officer Lee in Springfield is his recruiter. He did get back to my son and tell him the cruise will be fine, but you have provided lots of details and I appreciate that. I did a bit of google research after I created this post and found the procedure for active duty and others with clearances and saw the question list.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for this helpful info. Petty officer Lee in Springfield is his recruiter. He did get back to my son and tell him the cruise will be fine, but you have provided lots of details and I appreciate that. I did a bit of google research after I created this post and found the procedure for active duty and others with clearances and saw the question list.

not a problem, hope ya'll enjoy your cruise!