Declaring goods/food as international cruise passengers on arriving in Oz

yes always declare and the worst thing that will happen they'll take them off you

Not the worst thing Bob, minimum $420 infringement notice, if the AQUIS officer thinks a 'caution' is inappropriate. :evilsmile:

Not the worst thing Bob, minimum $420 infringement notice, if the AQUIS officer thinks a 'caution' is inappropriate. :evilsmile:

I think he was saying the worst thing if you declared.

If you declare the item upfront they won't give you a caution or a fine.

I think he was saying the worst thing if you declared.

If you declare the item upfront they won't give you a caution or a fine.

Correct, my error, sorry, did not read bob's post, again !! Time for a Granpa nap to recharge ye olde batteries.:o:o

Sorry RKMW @ Bob. I have met Bob, nice chap and a devout Princess Cruiser like me, he won't mind.

I remember ye olde 'Tick Gates' on the Pacific Hwy, there was one at Grafton and another at Tweed Heads.:evilsmile:

I remember my mum smuggling plants hidden underneath the suitcases in the boot over the Qld/NSW border.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One can only wonder what the poor OP is making of this discussion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By now he would suspect we are mental cases on here and he has ventured into a lunatic asylum. Half right.:o Tis the sun that does it you know.:loudcry:

To the people that suggest reading the website. I have done that which is why I posted.I will be declaring for sure.

I was simply asking how likely it was to be taken off me as I don't want to risk wasting too much money.

Although I am now wondering if a port is stricter than an airport...who knows?

Oddly I was watching some Aussie and Canadian customs programs the other day. There was a lady who had bought bags/boxes of homemade meat curries from Asia into Sydney I think it was. I think she got some hefty fines as you can imagine! :)

Here in the EU declaring food items isn't super common actually...its only if they are on the obvious products list.

No one here can or will answer about the likelihood of something being confiscated for the simple fact that each morning Border staff are sent itemised lists and alerts that have to be complied with. There can be immediate changes on certain products due to sudden changes, diseases or alerts in other countries etc. Border staff are all the same govt department regarding of whether you are entering at a port or an airport and the laws remain the same. The beagles are used in both locations. Even a small yacht entering the country is subject to the exact same laws and searches.

Again - the golden rule is - bringing something in - declare it. Its up to the quarantine staff to make the end decision - not any one hanging around on a travel forum. And yes - I have in fact done many employment secondments with Border (under their various former names) so I do actually know what I am talking about. And no Border staff member is going to say "oh you heard on Cruise Critic you could bring it in - sure go ahead".

Personally - bringing food into a country that has ample supplies of it - is pointless when there is a "possibility" of it being confiscated.

No one here can or will answer about the likelihood of something being confiscated for the simple fact that each morning Border staff are sent itemised lists and alerts that have to be complied with. There can be immediate changes on certain products due to sudden changes, diseases or alerts in other countries etc. Border staff are all the same govt department regarding of whether you are entering at a port or an airport and the laws remain the same. The beagles are used in both locations. Even a small yacht entering the country is subject to the exact same laws and searches.

Again - the golden rule is - bringing something in - declare it. Its up to the quarantine staff to make the end decision - not any one hanging around on a travel forum. And yes - I have in fact done many employment secondments with Border (under their various former names) so I do actually know what I am talking about. And no Border staff member is going to say "oh you heard on Cruise Critic you could bring it in - sure go ahead".

Personally - bringing food into a country that has ample supplies of it - is pointless when there is a "possibility" of it being confiscated.

Good post.

Border staff are all the same govt department regarding of whether you are entering at a port or an airport and the laws remain the same. The beagles are used in both locations. Even a small yacht entering the country is subject to the exact same laws and searches.

Or light planes... bringing in beagles. ;)

I think you may have misread my post/meaning from the start.I posted on here to gauge the risk, not to seek the ultimate gospel on it or to be repeatly told 'declare it' as I already said I was in my original post. I had read all the border documentation before posting.

Naturally, real life experiences serve as an extra bit of information to prepare as I am sure you can understand.

On your last comment...

As much as Oz has a cosmopolitan food culture, the food items I buy on my travels are not snacks for the road but more ' food momentos'. The are usually unusual/country specific items that I can take home and enjoy to remind me of my travels. I am a foodie traveller type I guess.

Thanks for everyone who shared their stories. I guess I will decide once I am shopping in Indonesia and other ports.

If its plant material, fruit,meat, egg, dairy products ( not from New Zealand) or honey expect to lose it. Unprocessed nuts ( ie raw) expect to lose it. Processed foods like roasted nuts, coffee commercially made snack bars then the likliehood is that you can keep it. Noone here is going to give you a 100% categorical answer because we aren't border protection officers. What we can give an assurance is that if you are found with undeclared product which is deemed to be illegal then you will be caned and that is both sides of the ditch

I think you may have misread my post/meaning from the start.I posted on here to gauge the risk, not to seek the ultimate gospel on it or to be repeatly told 'declare it' as I already said I was in my original post. I had read all the border documentation before posting.

Naturally, real life experiences serve as an extra bit of information to prepare as I am sure you can understand.

On your last comment...

As much as Oz has a cosmopolitan food culture, the food items I buy on my travels are not snacks for the road but more ' food momentos'. The are usually unusual/country specific items that I can take home and enjoy to remind me of my travels. I am a foodie traveller type I guess.

Thanks for everyone who shared their stories. I guess I will decide once I am shopping in Indonesia and other ports.

"Real life experiences" mean squat when the situation can change daily. There is a set list of what is not permitted then there are the daily alerts which the general public are not privy too. Hence why everyone - very sensibly - sticks with the mantra of "declare regardless".

As for souvenirs - easy - post them home as you go - then you are not risking bringing them into destinations where confiscation is a risk.

Wherever home may be. :)

Yes it is UK, they say our mail checks are less stringent than the US but who knows with all the stuff going on here at the moment.

Yes Perth we get it...declare declare declare. :cool:

I am not sure time and money posting items is financially beneficial compared to loosing an item. I still remember how much my friend in Japan paid to ship me some crazy kit kats and Umami candy over this past year.

Plus, port time is precious.