Why is there an Australian Custom limit of only $50 ?

Probably because it’s a Tasmania cruise and doesn’t qualify for duty free.

Not I know on Princess Tasmania cruises there is no such limit applied, but I’m nit sure if the prices include GST or not. I know they were cheaper on a lot of items, and the invoice didn’t show the GST component as it would on land, but Mrs Gut blew over $700 in December on our Emerald cruise to Tassie.

As an aside to this thread I checked out Retail on cruise ships. Appears most of the shops are leased out to private operators, who I guess work in with the cruise line eg the cruise card to pay for the goods.

Fancy a job in a shop at sea?

Retail Jobs on Cruise Ships

Most retail outlets onboard cruise ships are run by concessionaires. Typical positions are Gift Shop Assistant, Jeweller, Shop Manager, Art Auctioneer, etc.

https://www.allcruisejobs.com/retail-jobs/2/

Probably because it’s a Tasmania cruise and doesn’t qualify for duty free.

Spot on.

They give a $50 limit for pragmatic purposes e.g. so you can buy toothpaste or other incidental without being refused.

Of course, the cruise line could also collect GST instead but guess that's too much trouble for them at this point.

As an aside to this thread I checked out Retail on cruise ships. Appears most of the shops are leased out to private operators, who I guess work in with the cruise line eg the cruise card to pay for the goods.

Fancy a job in a shop at sea?

Retail Jobs on Cruise Ships

Most retail outlets onboard cruise ships are run by concessionaires. Typical positions are Gift Shop Assistant, Jeweller, Shop Manager, Art Auctioneer, etc.

https://www.allcruisejobs.com/retail-jobs/2/

Yes that's right.

It means in the few times there's a dispute you'll be referred to deal with this other company rather than being able to go through the line itself.

I was on that particular cruise and it wasn't until we got to Burnie and Australian Customs informed them they could not sell in the shops domestically except for essential items. I spoke with the cruise director and from what I could gather that someone missed an important detail in head office prior to Norwegian sailing in Australia possibly they need to have an company registered in Australia to overcome this issue. Carnival is able to sell most products in their shops on domestic cruises. Also when in port GST was added onto any purchase even drinks in the all inclusive drinks package. It was also added on to the service charge every day. I believe that for this season any domestic only cruises will have the same restriction.