On Cuba Cruise Now & Willing to Answer Questions

IWantToLiveOverTheSea

I'm currently on the Cultural Cuba cruise on Sun. Does anyone have any questions about Cuba or the Sun? I won't have time to answer general questions, but could probably answer a few specific ones in a day or two. We get to Cienfuegos on Monday.

Sun is beautiful and has a few new features in the rooms. Those going on the world cruise will appreciate the added drawers for clothing.

That's nice of you to offer. What excursions are you signed up for? I'm particularly interested in the Cienfuegos walking tour and the Havana overnight. Typically, we do private excursions due to an aversion to crowds and my husband's walking issues. Really, there isn't much he can't do if I'm there to hold his hand ;-) and take our time. Could you find out if Viking is offering slow walking groups on both tours? We'll be on the MIA-LAX portion of the world cruise.

Also, can we walk around Cienfuegos on our own after or before the tour?

I've spoken with Viking about my concerns, but it was mentioned that CruiseCritic folks might be the best source for up-to-date info.

Thanks so much and enjoy your trip!

Edited by dcsam

Hi dcsam. Are you from DC? I am. Anyway, I came down to ask your questions about Cienfuegos but I just missed the excursion folks. I'll ask them in the morning. It's the end of the day in Key West. We just got our info about the Havana trip (overnight). Lots of good information in there. As for Cienfuegos, I'm doing the long Trinidad excursion, so I'm not going to be much help in giving you information about the walking tour or other tours there. But as I said, I'll ask. I don't think there is any slow walking tour in Havana or Cienfuegos, however. Not sure what you're doing in Key West (if anything; I know a lot of people have already been there already, as I have.) However, the walk to the sightseeing trolley is about 4-5 minutes and relatively slow/easy. I did my own thing in the morning, visiting the Butterfly Conservancy (loved it), taking the free Duval Loop shuttle bus around, visiting the Key West Cemetery, walking around the very touristy Duval St, Seaport and Mallory Square areas and walking through Truman Annex. On board time was 4:30 for 5:00 departure.

There was a line of people coming back on the ship around 3:30 today in Key West - your husband might want to come back earlier than that or else maybe he can go ahead of you to the chairs that are set up along the way. There are also places to sit outside the ship. Be sure to take your driver's license or passport ashore in KW - required and checked by port security when you come back.

They've told us that the excursions we take have to be looked over the Cuba Travel Services group, which is the group Viking is using to make sure we comply with the People to People U.S. license we're traveling under. As someone reported elsewhere on the last cruise, people were pretty much free to go back to Cienfuegos to sightsee, but the guide had to bring the whole group back to the terminal and told people they couldn't simply stay in the city. I doubt I'll have much time to sightsee after my long Trinidad excursion, but if I do, I plan to go back out to the city for an hour or so if there's still any light. I may be too tired to do that, however. Viking and the Cuba Travel Service folks seem to be doing everything by the book, but we'll see what happens.

For the Havana overnight, we will be eating breakfast in the hotel but elsewhere for the lunch and dinner on day 1. There's a walking tour, visit of San Jose market (crafts, etc.), probably a visit to an artist's home, a classic car ride to the Tropicana, etc. Hotel has free wifi and you can exchange money into CUCs. They report that USD are generally accepted by private vendors, etc. but if you want to buy anything at Tropicana or Melia Habana Hotel, you need CUCs. After we tender over there is a simple body temp scan, then passport & visa check, and then security scan. Can't bring food in. Sounds like a lot of patience is needed! We'll find out time we meet tomorrow (the sea day). Excursions are pretty booked up, with wait lists, so hopefully you have all the ones you want. Likewise, reservations for Manfredi's and Chef's Table are pretty booked up unless you want to dine at 8 or later. Key West was fun and the weather was fairly mild - but hot, sunny, and humid!

I always take a lanyard to make it easier to scan my keycard in and out on the ship. Don't make the mistake I did. My husband and I switched cards (not on purpose!) and then I couldn't get off the ship in Key West until I found him to get MY card from him. Also, don't punch the key card - electronics inside and that will ruin it.

If you're going to Miami early, have patience and allow plenty of time for traffic - ugh! Also, the port changed the terminal for embarkation - look for Viking's smokestack!

If you're new to the Sun, there are some changes from the Sky, Star, etc. Your cabin attendant will explain them.

Our muster drill was 4:15 in Miami; Meet & Mingle is tomorrow (sea day) at 6.

The 3 menus at Chef's Table are a Nordic one for 3 days, then Asian for 3 days, and French for 3 days. I don't know what they'll have for your cruise, however, as I think they have more than 3 menus.

Sun is beautiful and I'm having a wonderful time. Tomorrow is a sea day and then....CUBA!!!!

Hi Roothy123!

We're not from D.C. We're from 'the other' Washinton - right on the coast.

Sounds like you're off to a great cruise. Our cruise doesn't stop in Key West. But it's a wonderful place to spend the day. And it appears you enjoyed your time there.

Thanks for your attempt at contacting the shore ex people. I do appreciate it. Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions.

You mentioned we can not punch a hole in our room card....is the entire card electronic or will one of corners work for a hole? having the card on a lanyard makes it so much easy to carry/find...I don't always have a pocket or a pure!

Now I am very curious about what other changes there are in the CABINS....will definitely appreciate the extra drawers.

OK, I asked about slow walking tours. There are none for Cienfuegos or Havana, but of course the guides will try to adjust a little for all people in their group. There are no restrictions on coming and going in Cienfuegos, and (presumably) Havana, although I forgot to ask specifically about that! Even with the people to people travel we'll be doing, crew members and guests can go freely. The terminal in Cienfuegos we start out from isn't horribly far from where the walking tour ends up, so people can take a cab back (or walk 15 minutes if a moderate walker) fairly easily. She said some cab drivers will accept USD and some won't, and suggests getting a small amount of CUCs (and there are a number of cambios for that near the terminal) if you're planning to stay in the city after the tour.

I didn't specifically ask if people could simply hire a tour guide in advance and do their own thing without going on some kind or part of a Viking-offered excursion. However, it sounds like some flexibility is there.

I'll probably go back later and ask some more questions. I didn't really ask much that would help you in Havana, I guess!

Thanks for your willingness to answer questions.

You mentioned we can not punch a hole in our room card....is the entire card electronic or will one of corners work for a hole? having the card on a lanyard makes it so much easy to carry/find...I don't always have a pocket or a pure!

Now I am very curious about what other changes there are in the CABINS....will definitely appreciate the extra drawers.

For the key card, I wouldn't punch any hole - not sure where the electronics are. Maybe ask, though, when you board. I got a plastic name card thingy to use on a lanyard. That works well - don't have to take it out from the plastic to get it to scan when I go on and off ship, etc. Can put in a driver's license when I go ashore and passport isn't needed (example, Key West).

Of course, there are plenty of things lots of people won't even explore - like the blackjack table (electronic) along with chess, checkers, scrabble, etc. Some people haven't even found Mamsens, laundry room, etc. - but of course it's still early in the cruise!

Best new thing is the 3 extra drawers in the closet for clothing. We didn't really need them much given that we're only on a week long cruise, but some people travel with lots more stuff than we do, so I guess many people will be happy. There's also a way to adjust how high or low the light next to your bed it - hold finger on it and it gets brighter (or darker, I guess) - or just toggle it across as you did before. There are also automatic drapes so you don't have to do more than simply pull the drapes for a second and they'll do the rest. Also you can adjust the heat on the bathroom floor or turn it off completely.There are other tiny changes, like the lawn bowling upstairs and the little cubby hole in one of the stores that houses the toothpaste, suntan lotion, Tylenol, etc. - but the 3 extra drawers in veranda cabins is probably the one people will like the most. (Assume all cabins have it, but have only been in a DV, so not sure.)

Edited by roothy123

more info on havana sojourn trip..

bring small had sanitizer, tissues, small bar of soap.

cuba doesnt allow food to be taken off ship

need to dress up a little for tropicana show, shorts ok during day

220 voltage only in melia habana hotel

free internet at hotel, pay extra for drinks at bar, etc. and need cucs for that. can buy cuc 24/7 at hotel. viking reserves right to change hotel.

will get box lunch from hotel for trip back to cienfuegos. cienfuegos is very safe and tenders run late

get hotel buffet breakfast that AM in havana

cuba accepts few credit cards, need cash

may be small fees for bathrooms and small fee imposed at port of Cienfuegos if you have purchased original artwork

usd accepted at san jose market

in another post, mentioned copacabana but meant tropicana. also assume people know it is outdoors...

will post more tomorrow evening if

i have time and internet is still great.

Awesome information, IWantToLiveOverTheSea (and Roothy123, am reading your posts avidly too). We're onboard Viking Sun starting Friday!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Chief Content Strategist

Cruise Critic

more info on havana sojourn trip..

bring small had sanitizer, tissues, small bar of soap.

cuba doesnt allow food to be taken off ship

need to dress up a little for tropicana show, shorts ok during day

220 voltage only in melia habana hotel

free internet at hotel, pay extra for drinks at bar, etc. and need cucs for that. can buy cuc 24/7 at hotel. viking reserves right to change hotel.

will get box lunch from hotel for trip back to cienfuegos. cienfuegos is very safe and tenders run late

get hotel buffet breakfast that AM in havana

cuba accepts few credit cards, need cash

may be small fees for bathrooms and small fee imposed at port of Cienfuegos if you have purchased original artwork

usd accepted at san jose market

in another post, mentioned copacabana but meant tropicana. also assume people know it is outdoors...

will post more tomorrow evening if

i have time and internet is still great.

Roothy123, do you have any sense if euros are more readily accepted than dollars?

Carolyn

Hi dcsam. Are you from DC? I am. Anyway, I came down to ask your questions about Cienfuegos but I just missed the excursion folks. I'll ask them in the morning. It's the end of the day in Key West. We just got our info about the Havana trip (overnight). Lots of good information in there. As for Cienfuegos, I'm doing the long Trinidad excursion, so I'm not going to be much help in giving you information about the walking tour or other tours there. But as I said, I'll ask. I don't think there is any slow walking tour in Havana or Cienfuegos, however. Not sure what you're doing in Key West (if anything; I know a lot of people have already been there already, as I have.) However, the walk to the sightseeing trolley is about 4-5 minutes and relatively slow/easy. I did my own thing in the morning, visiting the Butterfly Conservancy (loved it), taking the free Duval Loop shuttle bus around, visiting the Key West Cemetery, walking around the very touristy Duval St, Seaport and Mallory Square areas and walking through Truman Annex. On board time was 4:30 for 5:00 departure.

There was a line of people coming back on the ship around 3:30 today in Key West - your husband might want to come back earlier than that or else maybe he can go ahead of you to the chairs that are set up along the way. There are also places to sit outside the ship. Be sure to take your driver's license or passport ashore in KW - required and checked by port security when you come back.

They've told us that the excursions we take have to be looked over the Cuba Travel Services group, which is the group Viking is using to make sure we comply with the People to People U.S. license we're traveling under. As someone reported elsewhere on the last cruise, people were pretty much free to go back to Cienfuegos to sightsee, but the guide had to bring the whole group back to the terminal and told people they couldn't simply stay in the city. I doubt I'll have much time to sightsee after my long Trinidad excursion, but if I do, I plan to go back out to the city for an hour or so if there's still any light. I may be too tired to do that, however. Viking and the Cuba Travel Service folks seem to be doing everything by the book, but we'll see what happens.

For the Havana overnight, we will be eating breakfast in the hotel but elsewhere for the lunch and dinner on day 1. There's a walking tour, visit of San Jose market (crafts, etc.), probably a visit to an artist's home, a classic car ride to the Tropicana, etc. Hotel has free wifi and you can exchange money into CUCs. They report that USD are generally accepted by private vendors, etc. but if you want to buy anything at Tropicana or Melia Habana Hotel, you need CUCs. After we tender over there is a simple body temp scan, then passport & visa check, and then security scan. Can't bring food in. Sounds like a lot of patience is needed! We'll find out time we meet tomorrow (the sea day). Excursions are pretty booked up, with wait lists, so hopefully you have all the ones you want. Likewise, reservations for Manfredi's and Chef's Table are pretty booked up unless you want to dine at 8 or later. Key West was fun and the weather was fairly mild - but hot, sunny, and humid!

I always take a lanyard to make it easier to scan my keycard in and out on the ship. Don't make the mistake I did. My husband and I switched cards (not on purpose!) and then I couldn't get off the ship in Key West until I found him to get MY card from him. Also, don't punch the key card - electronics inside and that will ruin it.

If you're going to Miami early, have patience and allow plenty of time for traffic - ugh! Also, the port changed the terminal for embarkation - look for Viking's smokestack!

If you're new to the Sun, there are some changes from the Sky, Star, etc. Your cabin attendant will explain them.

Our muster drill was 4:15 in Miami; Meet & Mingle is tomorrow (sea day) at 6.

The 3 menus at Chef's Table are a Nordic one for 3 days, then Asian for 3 days, and French for 3 days. I don't know what they'll have for your cruise, however, as I think they have more than 3 menus.

Sun is beautiful and I'm having a wonderful time. Tomorrow is a sea day and then....CUBA!!!!

Roothy123, do you have any sense if euros are more readily accepted than dollars?

Carolyn

No, CUC is the currency in Cuba. The locals use CUPs (Cuban Pesos) but tourists convert their $$ into CUCs. I was there in May 2017. Some people found some obscure stores that would accept USD but I never did.

For Carolyn's inquiry...we were in Cuba 3 weeks ago on a land trip and regarding the exchange of euros for CUC's...yes you would get a little better deal if you exhanged euros or British pounds instead of US dollars. It was a 1-1 exhange if using euros (and pounds) but when you exchanged with US dollars....there was a 13% fee so that for every $1.00 US exchanged you got back 87 cents worth of CUC's. This was the case whether you used a cambio or a bank.

Hope this helps

OK, just checking in. Obviously, internet is still great now that I'm in Cuba. However, I AM using the ship's computer, and have no idea what it's like with a cell phone or tablet while off the ship. Today I woke up at 5:30 to find a big, beautiful moon outside - a Havana moon? I was so excited to be in Cuba I couldn't go back to sleep. Here's a short report on our first day. Keep in mind that, as Viking will often remind you, things can change daily in Cuba, so patience is needed. However, there was really smooth sailing for me on the Trinidad excursion. What I'll share with you applies only to the Trinidad excursion, but my husband took the Cold War History tour and told me he had a similar, though shorter, experience. The Trinidad excursion was long (almost 8 hours from when we boarded bus) and demanding, but very worthwhile. We were to meet in Star Theater at 9. I got there maybe 5 minutes before. Outside the theater a Viking excursion person assigned me to a tender. About 10 minutes later they called my number and I and others were walked down to deck A to board. They didn't run the tenders full, so there was a lot of room (compared to some tender experiences I've had in the past). It didn't take too long to board everyone up and go, with the ride itself being about 10 minutes long. Then we did the walk through the body temp scanner room, check in with the passport folks, and security scan. We were told that sometimes there's a dog there to sniff out food, but all I saw was a wonderful spaniel type dog asleep near one of the immigration officials. There WAS a line, but it went fairly quickly. There were 3 immigration people working and one x-ray machine with a couple people getting people through pretty quickly. Viking will tell you this numerous times, but just in case you sleep through it: make sure you have Cuban customs form, 2 part Cuban visa, Viking keycard, and passport handy for immigration. They'll keep visa and customs form and return your passport. Once out of the small terminal, Viking people assigned a bus and then we went to the buses. There was a money exchange place right there outside the port, but we decided not to change money on our visit so I just went to the bus. If you stop to change money, just clear that with the Viking person who assigns you to a bus. and just went to the bus. At 10:10 the bus left for Trinidad. SO - it took me an hour and 5 minutes from Star Theater to start up of the bus - much better than I expected. My husband's tour met at 9:30 and he said it took them even less time to get moving. The drive to Trinidad was about an hour and 20 minutes, pretty bumpy, but with little car traffic, just a few trucks, cars, carts, bikes and scooters, etc. The scenery was pretty nice in places, beautiful in others. My husband's bus went to Bay of Pigs, and he also reported a bumpy ride. I don't know if the bus toilet worked, as I didn't try it.

There were two, or possibly 3, different groups going to Trinidad. Our guide was great - spoke excellent English, though with an accent of course, and very peppy and personable. We visited a number of places in Trinidad other than just the Plaza Mayor - wood carver, pottery place, Santeria temple, walking around, and sugar mill with big tower. Lunch was in Trinidad - nice place. Lobster was good but DON'T expect it to taste like Maine lobster! Could also have chicken, shrimp, pork or pasta too. We saw lots of color, real time warp scenes, cool cars, people looking for money, and lots, lots more. My husband really liked the Cold War History excursion - although it's same museum we'll visit on the way back from Havana. He said the lunch they got was incredible, although I don't know if the lunch is offered on the other day this excursion is offered. There were only 15 people on his tour. I had a great day today, and my only regret is that I didn't get to walk around Cienfuegos, and won't have time to do it tomorrow. Pearl Cruises has a ship here today, docked. Luckily that's a very small (and expensive) ship, so there weren't lots of people clogging up the terminal when we were there.

Once back, we just passed through security in the port terminal. We didn't have to check in with the immigration official sitting there. Tenders run until 1 pm tonight - he said few cruisers go into town at night, but some of the crew do. I guess that's the only time they can......if they get any time off at all!

Apparently there are only around 850 people on the ship this cruise. Of those, 275 went to Havana today and 265 go tomorrow. We have to meet at (gulp) 6:30 AM. Some people are unhappy about that, but what can you do? It's a long way. This is not a river cruise....and it's a first for Viking, and for other cruise lines.

I didn't hear of anyone taking a private tour, or going back ashore after a tour, so don't really know if that was possible. I think the vast majority of people just went with the Viking tours.

We only needed CUC today if we wanted to buy coffee at the sugar mill or walk up into the tower. It's a government run mill, so they only accept CUC. Vendors, however, are everywhere, and accept USD. We may exchange some leftover euros at the hotel tomorrow. Some people tipped the guide today; many didn't. (Viking mentioned it wasn't necessary, but would be appreciated if we wanted to tip.) Sorry, don't know about euros, as I didn't hear anything about those.

We're having a great time. I've heard some complaints, but of course there are people here who are used to Viking River cruises only (which is pretty different from ocean cruising), Seabourn, Windstar, Holland - you name it. Can't make everything perfect for everyone. Yes, it's a bit demanding to get up early, go, go, go all day, etc. - but worth it in my opinion. I can rest on the sea day!

If I have time & internet connection tomorrow, I'll let you know what transpired on our sojourn to Cuba.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

For Carolyn's inquiry...we were in Cuba 3 weeks ago on a land trip and regarding the exchange of euros for CUC's...yes you would get a little better deal if you exhanged euros or British pounds instead of US dollars. It was a 1-1 exhange if using euros (and pounds) but when you exchanged with US dollars....there was a 13% fee so that for every $1.00 US exchanged you got back 87 cents worth of CUC's. This was the case whether you used a cambio or a bank.

Hope this helps

Yes, this is the US penalty tax.

Ruth here, using melia wifi, sneaking a peek on tablet. leaving havana this am after long but excellent day yesterday. think the car ride was huge hit last night. SO many cars lined up for us...very fun.

Hotel has gorgeous pools but no time to use them. huge room and bathroom, and while furniture is dated, room was very comfortable. can give deposit for 110 adapter use. don't lock yourself out on room balcony...but they'll warn you. Tropicana was pretty nice. Weather gas been nice in cuba...not too hot. guide has been fabulous and everything well organized. food has been quite good. all a little tired....this was quite a production! cuba has not disappointed.

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but if so:

Yes, most vendors at port terminal in Cienfuegos, San Jose market in Havana, etc. accept euros. Only hard and fast government owed businesses (which is quite a bit!!!) require CUC. Viking pays for restrooms so you don't need anything for those on tours. Many other places you can use USD or euros, although often you're charged the 13%, so may not be worthwhile. We got 20 CUC just to use and didn't use all of it. However, there will be PLENTY of opportunities to do so if you want to buy things!

Havana Sojourn was really wonderful. Cuba Travel Services (guides, etc.) worked really hard to provide a wonderful experience. The pace was a little too fast for some (including me) but it was worth it.

Couple things, based on our experience. Yours may be different:

Only show passports once at Cienfuegos port - first day. You go through the port's x-rays for security every time you leave and come back.

We saw people doing something because they had artwork - probably paying a small fee. This was at the port.

You could exchange unused CUCs to USD at port, but only to get USD, no other money.

On way back from Havana you're given a snack in a box. I would NOT suggest you eat that after the Bay of Pigs stop. The ride is bumping and bus sways back and forth too much to eat very easily with a box on your lap! (No airline type tray tables on bus.)

Don't expect much in bathrooms in markets and places you stop, other than nice hotels and restaurants. They were always clean, but there was often no tissue, no way to dry your hands, and no seats on the toilets. But Viking pays, so at least you don't have to pull out a CUC or dollar every time you go. Pick up tissue from attendant if you need it. Buses have bathrooms and AC.

Our guide was nothing short of amazing - very organized, knowledgeable, personable, etc. They will provide all the info you need, sometimes multiple times! Viking destination folks were, too.

Lunch on first (full) day in Havana was my favorite meal while on the Sojourn.

Classic car ride was a total riot - car after car pulling up, honking with some playing music on their horns, etc. Probably my favorite part of Sojourn.

Tropicana was awfully crowded, and I was tired, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might some other night. Cramped seating didn't help, but that's what they do there.

Don't remember how long it took to get to Havana, but it was shorter and not as boring as I expected. The departure time for those doing the second day from Cienfuegos was brutal (6:30) but I think we got to Havana around 11 for our first stop, so that's no so bad considering.

In hotel, if pay deposit can borrow a plug and/or converter to use to charge things, use 110 appliances, etc. However, if all you need to do is charge things, I'd just do that the night before leaving the Sun.

Put your phone in airplane mode while in Cuba. A few people have reported using their phones and then getting a weird message and finding their phone blocked. It may be nothing, but I would be careful.

Classic cars are absolutely everywhere. So are horse carts, hitchhikers, crowded buses, etc. If you keep an open mind, remember this is not a river cruise of 150 people and you're not the only cruise ship in town, and be patient/flexible I think you'll find this a wonderful experience. Cuba didn't disappoint and neither did the Sun. Oh, and weather was good - not as hot and humid as I expected!

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Thank you for all these details. We really appreciate the info. Regarding the new drawers in the closet...are these along the bottom, or along one side, of the closet. When we were on the Star, we had brought folding shelves which hung over the curtain rod. Sounds like we may only no one of these. Now, awaiting info re the Internet. We couldn't post photos on our blog last time. So...very...slow.