Marriage license required?

Postman806

So my parents, age 82 and 79 are taking their first cruise. They ere told to bring their marriage certificate with them. They don’t have passports and are using birth certificates and state issued ID at boarding. I’ve never heard of the marriage certificate requirement before. Neither of our daughters-in-law needed them with Carnival. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They won't need anything besides BC & Drivers license.

My mother went on a cruise with us a few years back.

She has been married 3 X & have had 4 last names.

All she had was a BC & current DL. Nothing else.

No issues what so ever...…...

Omg 5 years ago i was denied boarding for not having my marriage certificate to bridge my maiden name and my married name. Please please please make sure mom has this. RCCL will NOT allow her to board. They only gave me a $250 dollar credit valued for 2 years on top of it.

Regardless of people saying you won't need it, I would take it ''just in case'', imagine not being able to board because you didn't have it

I agree with this. Better to have it and not need it. Consequences are severe.

Did your mother keep her maiden name as a middle name? That's what most people did back then, and still do, when getting married. My maiden name is now my middle name, and on my drivers license. If your mother's maiden name is on her I.D., she should not have a problem.

I don't even know where my marriage license is. :confused: However, I know travel with a passport.

So my parents, age 82 and 79 are taking their first cruise. They ere told to bring their marriage certificate with them. They don’t have passports and are using birth certificates and state issued ID at boarding. I’ve never heard of the marriage certificate requirement before. Neither of our daughters-in-law needed them with Carnival. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, anyone can get a DL in some states. The BC would not match the correct name, so it useless without a bridging document. She could borrow a BC from her friend. If you want to take a chance, just remember, being denied boarding without proper documents can happen.

Omg 5 years ago i was denied boarding for not having my marriage certificate to bridge my maiden name and my married name. Please please please make sure mom has this. RCCL will NOT allow her to board. They only gave me a $250 dollar credit valued for 2 years on top of it.

You are the first person I've seen that has had this problem, which is problematic because there is no written requirement for the marriage license that I've ever seen in the regulations and I haven't found such a requirement on Royal's website (but given the condition of said site it's not surprising).

I agree that it is better to have too much information than be denied boarding.

I would also make sure that their birth certificates are original and not just photo copies. Also, assume that their state ID is a photo ID if they don’t have a driver’s license.

You didn’t ask but seeing as this is their first cruise I hope they have purchased medical insurance. Sometimes first time cruisers overlook insurance and it’s very important. Medicare does not cover them.

You are the first person I've seen that has had this problem, which is problematic because there is no written requirement for the marriage license that I've ever seen in the regulations and I haven't found such a requirement on Royal's website (but given the condition of said site it's not surprising).

Per Royal Caribbean's site.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

You need to match the name on the booking or show why it doesn't match. The marriage license is that official document that bridges the two. Also in reverse, if one books a cruise before they get an official divorce, they need to bring the divorce decree to show why license and booking name doesn't match. With a passport, all you need to do is book with the name on the passport, and regardless of what your other IDs may say, your passport is all that's needed as that's all they will need to match with the booking.

DDIL had a passport but didn’t change the name on it until it expired. In the meantime, she carried her marriage certificate whenever she traveled. Much better safe than sorry. Just because someone else got by with less documentation doesn’t mean you will. I absolutely second the advice to get medical insurance.

I find this entire topic odd. I don't remember sending in our marriage certificate when we were applying for passports. The only time my wife needed to present that document was after we were married to change the name on her DL and SS card. I just went to the passport application website and there is no mention of needing a marriage license to bridge the gap between the maiden name and the married name. They ask for the spouses full name and if you were divorced or widowed but no request for a marriage certificate. If you don't need that to obtain a passport why is the cruise line asking for it?

Like others have said I would bring it just incase. You never know who you will be dealing with when checking in and we all have read about situations where two different reps give two different answers to the same question.

I agree that it is better to have too much information than be denied boarding.

I would also make sure that their birth certificates are original and not just photo copies. Also, assume that their state ID is a photo ID if they don’t have a driver’s license.

You didn’t ask but seeing as this is their first cruise I hope they have purchased medical insurance. Sometimes first time cruisers overlook insurance and it’s very important. Medicare does not cover them.

Excellent point about the medical insurance, but additionally make sure it includes sufficient medical evacuation coverage. Hopefully evacuation would not be necessary, but if it is, I have read that it could conceivably cost over $50,000.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

You need to match the name on the booking or show why it doesn't match. The marriage license is that official document that bridges the two. Also in reverse, if one books a cruise before they get an official divorce, they need to bring the divorce decree to show why license and booking name doesn't match. With a passport, all you need to do is book with the name on the passport, and regardless of what your other IDs may say, your passport is all that's needed as that's all they will need to match with the booking.

Moral of the story is keep your maiden name (which seems to be more common these days) or get a passport.

That's their requirement then, but it's way overstated and more than what the regulations require.

I find this entire topic odd. I don't remember sending in our marriage certificate when we were applying for passports. The only time my wife needed to present that document was after we were married to change the name on her DL and SS card. I just went to the passport application website and there is no mention of needing a marriage license to bridge the gap between the maiden name and the married name. They ask for the spouses full name and if you were divorced or widowed but no request for a marriage certificate. If you don't need that to obtain a passport why is the cruise line asking for it?

Like others have said I would bring it just incase. You never know who you will be dealing with when checking in and we all have read about situations where two different reps give two different answers to the same question.

We also didn't mail the certificate in with DW's passport application and it wasn't asked for. As I understand it the certificate is only needed if you are applying for a name change on a passport or if they ask for it for some reason.

We also didn't mail the certificate in with DW's passport application and it wasn't asked for. As I understand it the certificate is only needed if you are applying for a name change on a passport or if they ask for it for some reason.

If you recall the first time PP application isn't mailed in by you it's taken to the passport office/county clerk/post office, they verify your identity, and they send it in.

If you want a name change on a PP you already hold then you do need to mail in a certified or original document reflecting the name change i.e.: marriage, divorce, court order, etc.

If you don't have a legal document but have been already using the other name then you must appear in person at the PP office or processing agency and convince them to change it.

But to answer OP, take it better to have it and not need it.

If you recall the first time PP application isn't mailed in by you it's taken to the passport office/county clerk/post office, they verify your identity, and they send it in.

Yes now I remember. We went to the post office to apply. I guess they can verify the name change electronically.

• Like 1