Do you purchase the drink pkg when in a sky suite with drinks included in CK?

Zendeck

My DH and I purchased the ultimate drink pkg for ourselves and the beverage pkg for our kids.....i’ve Since learned on these boards that drinks are available from 11-11 in the CK. So with the exception of the obvious inconvenience of always having to go to CK, is it worth purchasing the separate pkgs?

Depends on when, where, and what you want to drink.

Do you want frozen/blender/upper shelf cocktails? Do you want to leave the pool to get a beer or glass of wine? Would you like cocktails during the day?

Yes we definitely want ‘proper’ cocktails so I will keep the separate pkg..... but because we don’t have too much money I may cancel the kids bev pkg and they can get their sodas and waters in the CK! ;p

Again, if you are relaxing by the pool, will you really want to get up and accompany your kids to the suite lounge every time they want a soda? Without a package, they won’t be able to use the freestyle machine either.

The boys will be 15, 11 for the April cruise so they don't need me walking them to get their beverages (our first cruise without our now 18 year old in school--very different trip for our usual party of 5). On Disney their soda's/lemonades were free on the pool deck so they are used to traveling for their beverages the only difference being that their beverages were also included in the dining rooms. However, I am nervous about their reaction to the size of this ship so I'm just keeping the pkg's. Feeling extra pressure this trip, first mega ship, first non-Disney (myself and DH so excited!!), first without the oldest brother (sad!)............I know it's the beginning of many new ships as our family definitely loves cruising together! I'm reading away on these boards to learn all the tips! Thanks!!

You can buy ANY drink without the package....so if you only plan on getting 1 or 2 drinks elsewhere (other than the lounge), a package isn't really needed.

Included in RCI's fare is: ice water, lemonade, coffee, tea (iced or hot), milk and juice during breakfast.

No, have never purchased the package. If we want a drink during the day we just pay for it.

This! I pay as I go when I’m sky class. Never come close to having a tab as big as the drinking package costs. I wouldnt call myself a light drinker either.

Some people just have too much money. If you want bad beer and wine, then you don’t need it. If you want a proper cocktail, then yeah, you need the package.

JC

Your opening statement describes you. I also have too much money but I don't try to impress everybody, and brag about it, by over paying for drinks when on a cruise. What I drink on the cruise is the same as I drink when not on one, and it is readily available for no extra charge.. I like what I like. I've tried the high end liquor, and once you add a mix, such as water, coke, or anything else, they all taste the same. But again, I'm not a drink snob.

This! I pay as I go when I’m sky class. Never come close to having a tab as big as the drinking package costs. I wouldnt call myself a light drinker either.

This is what I was originally thinking when I asked the question. At this time we are sort of light drinkers (age and just busy working parents), but given the cost of the drinking pkg., I've joked that we are having bloody Mary's with breakfast, Martini's with lunch, frozen drinks by the pool, wine with dinner and not going to bed until we've had many nightcaps!!! LOL. When ordinarily we would just have beers / frozen drinks by the pool on sea days and wine at dinner. Well I have 7 mths to decide our approach....appreciate this additional insight from other sky class experiences. Thanks.

I’m not a heavy drinker when at home. Working overnights it’s hard to be! But we have purchased the deluxe drink the last two cruises and our upcoming cruise on Allure in a sky class suite. I’m allergic to beer and really enjoy trying different drinks and of course the frozen delights! My boyfriend is a drinker so he’ll get his moneys worth. I just like that everything is paid ahead of time and I don’t have to be thinking about how much are these yummy fruity drinks adding up to on my account! I find I am able to better enjoy my vacation without worrying about the bar tab. But truth be told I usually get a sugar headache around 4 and have dubbed 4-7:30 the daily nap time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah yes, the "I no longer can day drink like a rock star" SUGAR HEADACHE. Know it well!!! Yes I would agree that having the pkg seems like an awesome bonus....it's free,,,but it's not,,,but it feels free..... so yes it's awesome!!

This is what I was originally thinking when I asked the question. At this time we are sort of light drinkers (age and just busy working parents), but given the cost of the drinking pkg., I've joked that we are having bloody Mary's with breakfast, Martini's with lunch, frozen drinks by the pool, wine with dinner and not going to bed until we've had many nightcaps!!! LOL. When ordinarily we would just have beers / frozen drinks by the pool on sea days and wine at dinner. Well I have 7 mths to decide our approach....appreciate this additional insight from other sky class experiences. Thanks.

What type of cabin do you have? If it is a loft it is so easy to grab a drink up there in the SL.

Some say a package makes it less stressful. To me I think paying $700+ up front for a couple is way more stressful than buying drinks here and there on board. You basically have to spend $100 a day which can easily be done but i wouldn’t buy a package just to feel free on board. I feel perfectly free to buy them as I go when I’m thirsty.

We often enjoyed hitting the SL for a drink or two during the day and at night. Also, if you eat there all your drinks are free. Also; just FYI. It is beer and wine from 11-11. Alcohol is included from 5-8:30 (approximately). When sky class we pretty much eat in CK every night as we like it a lot so I that makes a difference on buying a package. Everyone is different but I probably spent 400 on drinks over the week saving $350 to use elsewhere.

Very good points! Our plan is about $125 per day.........the only thing that makes that even slightly worth it for us is that we generally do get a bottle of wine with dinner so that is where we can see the benefit of the pkg. So now we would just be getting glasses of wine for dinner, and if DH wants red with meat and I want white with fish,,,,it's a win/win, no compromising necessary. However if we end up eating in CK a few nights for dinner, which people on the boards seem to say it is excellent, we wouldn't need the drink pkg and our wine would be free!! Thanks everyone.....I am enjoying seeing peoples perspectives and taking it all in to assist in our decision.

I also normally base the decision off the package price. Since you can refund the package at anytime for full refund, I’ll buy the package and check back once to twice a week to see if the price lowers. If the price lowers, I’ll refund and buy at the lower price. If by cruise date the price isn’t acceptable, then I’ll refund and pay as I go. It takes more of my time but getting the best deal is what gets me out of bed in the morning! Right now I have the ultimate beverage package for Allure next month for 42/day, definitely worth it for me.

Good luck deciding what works best for you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very good points! Our plan is about $125 per day.........the only thing that makes that even slightly worth it for us is that we generally do get a bottle of wine with dinner so that is where we can see the benefit of the pkg. So now we would just be getting glasses of wine for dinner, and if DH wants red with meat and I want white with fish,,,,it's a win/win, no compromising necessary. However if we end up eating in CK a few nights for dinner, which people on the boards seem to say it is excellent, we wouldn't need the drink pkg and our wine would be free!! Thanks everyone.....I am enjoying seeing peoples perspectives and taking it all in to assist in our decision.

And def just send the kids to the SL when they want a soda. That is a no brainer. What I find is I drink more with the package but many times it is just because I can. I never fret about buying drinks as I go without the package. I get a beer and the wife a drink and it is 20ish. We just don’t do that 5 times a day on average outside of the lounge. If you will then get the package. It is really a pretty easy formula but I would worry one way or the other much. If you buy it enjoy. If you don’t and go over it won’t be by that much. Have fun.

The deluxe package might be worth it for you if you are not going to eat in CK every night and if you are not diamond or above. You can get better wines with the deluxe drink package.

What kinds of wine and beer are including 11-11 in the SL?

House wine. It varies but someone might know the common names used. La three rings a bell. My wife likes one or two of them but not most. She is fine with the house sparkling wine also.

Beers are budweiser, miller lite, Amstel light, Heineken, and a cider. I may have left one off (colors light?) or be wrong on one. It is limited on beer if you don’t like those beers. I like Amstel when cruising b/c it is light on calories and ABV and I can put more than a few beers down while on vacation. When I leave after lunch they gladly send me away with one or two to go. I am a generous tipper and I don’t ask for that. They just get to know me quick and ask if I would like a couple to take to the pool. They are very good to suite guests.

House wine. It varies but someone might know the common names used. La three rings a bell. My wife likes one or two of them but not most. She is fine with the house sparkling wine also.

Beers are budweiser, miller lite, Amstel light, Heineken, and a cider. I may have left one off (colors light?) or be wrong on one. It is limited on beer if you don’t like those beers. I like Amstel when cruising b/c it is light on calories and ABV and I can put more than a few beers down while on vacation. When I leave after lunch they gladly send me away with one or two to go. I am a generous tipper and I don’t ask for that. They just get to know me quick and ask if I would like a couple to take to the pool. They are very good to suite guests.

And then 5-8 is all drinks?