Which cruise line has the best choices of HEALTHY food?

Nipo

I’m so disappointed with our previous cruise with Carnival – it was just about impossible to eat healthy onboard. I would like my food to have a lot of proteins and fibres and I like to eat fruit and vegetables as well as low fat meat, mostly fish and chicken. So, at Carnival the breakfast I ate only orange and cottage cheese - all the bread was white wheat and there was no fibre rich cereal choices. The cold cuts were very salty and wet, not good at all. At lunch buffet there was never fish and the only chicken laid in ugly greasy sauce.Salad choices were very narrow, no meat or protein there, no low fat cooked vegetables either. Only at dinner was I able to order fish – only one choice each night. For the side I had to order separate broccoli every night except one night they had beans and asparagus - other nights only potatoes, rice and pasta (and once pumpkin).

Previously my experiences with NCL and Royal Caribbean are not as bad, bud not good either. At Norwegian they had pretty good choices at the beginning, but ran out of all heathy food by the end of the cruise and at the end they were trying to force us on pastries, because nothing else was left. At Royal Caribbean all the fruit were served whole so that if you wanted fruit you had to peel it yourself– not very comfortable. Also the salad choices were quite narrow.

So I’m looking for a cruise line where it would be easy to eat healthy and have multiple tasty choices. Especially looking for fish and chicken breast as well as lot of vegetables and fruit ready to eat in tasty serving.

I agree with Keith1010. I found Celebrity Cruise Lines had a great assortment of food that leaned more towards the healthy in all areas where they serve food, including the dining room. There is the Aqua Cafe for breakfast and lunch and the main dining indicates which meals are "fit fare" I think they called it. The buffet salad bar had excellent choices and you could order up fresh protein from the station that made omelets in the morning. I was very impressed by the turn to healthy food choices that Celebrity offered.

• 1 month later...

I have never found it difficult to eat healthfully on any ship. I eat lots of fruit, green salad with very little dressing or just a little olive oil, an egg here and there, white meat chicken occasionally, lots of plain water. I don't like any seafood, cruise ship beef or Indian food but I find plenty to eat.

I do bring raw, organic, salt-free nuts for snacks.

I’m so disappointed with our previous cruise with Carnival – it was just about impossible to eat healthy onboard. I would like my food to have a lot of proteins and fibres and I like to eat fruit and vegetables as well as low fat meat, mostly fish and chicken. So, at Carnival the breakfast I ate only orange and cottage cheese - all the bread was white wheat and there was no fibre rich cereal choices. The cold cuts were very salty and wet, not good at all. At lunch buffet there was never fish and the only chicken laid in ugly greasy sauce.Salad choices were very narrow, no meat or protein there, no low fat cooked vegetables either. Only at dinner was I able to order fish – only one choice each night. For the side I had to order separate broccoli every night except one night they had beans and asparagus - other nights only potatoes, rice and pasta (and once pumpkin).

Previously my experiences with NCL and Royal Caribbean are not as bad, bud not good either. At Norwegian they had pretty good choices at the beginning, but ran out of all heathy food by the end of the cruise and at the end they were trying to force us on pastries, because nothing else was left. At Royal Caribbean all the fruit were served whole so that if you wanted fruit you had to peel it yourself– not very comfortable. Also the salad choices were quite narrow.

So I’m looking for a cruise line where it would be easy to eat healthy and have multiple tasty choices. Especially looking for fish and chicken breast as well as lot of vegetables and fruit ready to eat in tasty serving.

I find I have to be creative for eating healthy on a cruise. Our last cruise was on the Carnival Pride and while the lido salad bar did not have much, Blue Iguana had all the fixings for a (relatively) healthy salad. The had chicken, beef, and shrimp (seasoned, not breaded) for protein. Vegetables in addition to lettuce were corn with black beans, grilled red onions, pico de gallo, tomatoes, raw onions, guacamole on request. Various salsas and other condiments could be added, plus really good watermelon. We could always find fresh melon in the buffet too.

I thought Royal had the "tutti" salads in MDR where you could fix a pretty healthy salad.

Most MDR's have some type of lean protein available at dinner - usually salmon or chicken breast.

Best wishes finding what works for you.

We were able to eat healthy on Celebrity Cruise Lines.

We went to their Aqua Cafe for breakfast and lunch where they offered many healthy choices. At lunch we could get salad and fish and at breakfast simple items.

Keith

Yes, I agree! Book an Aqua class room.