Society, Tuamotos and Marquesas 14 day cruise

CherylFP

Hi

My husband booked us on this cruise and I'm really worried about the Marquesas Islands part. I would much rather have done the Society or even Society and Tuamotos cruises. I don't really like 4 wheel drive tours inland and love beaches and swimming. I'm concerned about the marina on the Paul Gaugin as I notice it is only open for two periods and they're both in the Society islands and this was one of the attractions for me also. Is it possible to just go off the ship in the Marquesas Islands and wander around and is there much to see, and is it possible to swim in the bays where the ship goes to? Perhaps we should book on at least one (or maybe two) tour(s).

I'd really like some advice - so I can sleep at night as am very worried. I'd thought of taking up a hobby or learning to play bridge!! Many thanks everyone.

The Marquesas is one of my favorite PG itineraries. We got lucky with the weather, so made all the ports, which doesn't always happen. Swimming and beaches: nope. Getting off the ship and wandering around admiring the spectacular scenery: absolutely.

But from what I see in Cheryl's post, perhaps a 10-day or 7-day cruise with substantial time on Moorea pre-cruise would be a better idea for her.

Thank you for your replies. One of my major worries is that my husband has atrial fibulation which is controlled by medication but if anything happened to him when we are at the Marquesas Islands then the concern is how to get him to hospital. I understand that the Paul Gaugin only has a doctor and not a hospital on board. He was evacuated from a cruise last year and was in intensive care in Canada then in hospital for two weeks. We're from New Zealand. I don't even think that there are airports at the Marquesas. My husband booked this cruise and didn't realise how remote the Marquesas Islands are. He paid for air fares and pre and post accommodation also. I'll ask his cardiologist what we should do or if he will be ok.

There are airports on Nuku Hiva, Ua Huka, Aneou and Hiva Oa.

The ship's doctors office isn't a hospital but is equipped for several kinds of emergencies.

However, I would suggest to change the itinerary to the 7 day Society islands. You could even do two back to back 7 day runs, many people do. This would keep you close to the hospitals.

You should be able to switch itineraries without any particular trouble. The 7-day has lots of water activities, and airports in most places. The Tuamotus are a bit more remote, but I suspect there's an airport in Rangiroa, and the water activities there are great. But there is a sea day. So I agree, that the 7-day which is a wonderful trip, would be best for you, with an appropriate pre-cruise stay on Moorea.

Thank you for your replies. My husband has atrial fibulation controlled by medication but wouldn't be able to do four wheel drive tours etc in the Marquesas Islands.

Is there much to see just by wandering around at each port? I'm still concerned about being so remote so will have a chat to the travel agent.

It would seem that the 7 or 10 day cruise would be more suitable.