Look Who's in the Panama Canal today...

Essiesmom

Looks like lots of rain and or clouds, hoping for some sunny days soon.

This the beginning of the Rainy season which lasts all the way through December. Don't despair, most of the time it is not an all day rain, just some intermittent showers you may have to contend with.

Bliss in upper right corner, coming under the new Atlantic Bridge and heading into the channel to Agua Clara locks (Amsterdam in Gatun Locks)

enhance

In the channel to the Cocoli Locks:

enhance

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...

May 23, night transit. MV Galleons Passage. Apparently Trinidad & Tobago are in need of a new ferry. They sourced this one from China, where her builders were stuck with her when the folks who ordered her couldn't close the deal. There were some delays before and during her transit, and she is about six weeks later than planned to arrive in Trinidad. She is a catamaran RO-RO.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Without passengers, she did a night transit, and without a reservation, she had to wait outside on the Pacific side for several days.

enhance

enhance

enhance

May 24 Pacific Princess eastbound

enhance

enhance

Pedro Miguel Locks

enhance

Gatun Locks

enhance

enhance

Next scheduled ship is on June 14, unless something unexpected comes onto the radar...errr...AIS. EM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not that this has anything to do with ships per se, but I was looking at the Atlantic Bridge yesterday morning and the gap "looked" to be closed. Had a local friend check to see if it had indeed been closed and he reported that up until two days ago it had not. Looking at the pictures you posted I think I still see a cat's whisker of a gap. Shouldn't be long now, in any event! Really will change the look of the Atlantic entrance... guess that has already happened.

Not that this has anything to do with ships per se, but I was looking at the Atlantic Bridge yesterday morning and the gap "looked" to be closed. Had a local friend check to see if it had indeed been closed and he reported that up until two days ago it had not. Looking at the pictures you posted I think I still see a cat's whisker of a gap. Shouldn't be long now, in any event! Really will change the look of the Atlantic entrance... guess that has already happened.

Hi Bill, we're hoping to use that new bridge in November so if you get word it's finished and open, please post on here for us.

We hope to take two other couples to the new locks and over to Ft. San Lorenzo during our day in Colon.

czsandy

Hi Bill, we're hoping to use that new bridge in November so if you get word it's finished and open, please post on here for us.

We hope to take two other couples to the new locks and over to Ft. San Lorenzo during our day in Colon.

czsandy

Hope that November date will work! Originally the bridge was supposed to be completed in 2016 and that got bumped to mid 2018. We are now very close to mid '18 and I'm sure there is still a ton of work to do even after the spans are united. I looked on the builders website and they say January 2019, so here's hoping!

Hope that November date will work! Originally the bridge was supposed to be completed in 2016 and that got bumped to mid 2018. We are now very close to mid '18 and I'm sure there is still a ton of work to do even after the spans are united. I looked on the builders website and they say January 2019, so here's hoping!

Thanks Bill. We'll keep fingers crossed; in meantime will start checking the ferry schedules.......ship doesn't dock until 9:00 and we have to be back by 5:00. Maybe we'll go out to Portobello instead. Just planning stages right now. Don't know how long it will take to get the rental car and get on the road, plus estimate ferry times, etc. Understand the rental car agencies are right alongside the pier.....Have you been out to either Ft. SanLorenzo or Portobello in recent years? After the locks, would like to take friends to one or the other (plus maybe a drive thru Margarita (for us).:):)

• 4 weeks later...

July 24, today we have Ocean Drea, The Peace Boat. she started life as Carnival Tropicale. She does continuous world cruises from Japan.

Weather was dreadful on the Gatun side...

enhance

But much better (but still dreary) at Miraflores.

enhance