Early arrival in Sidney

Sidney? Sydney?

Go to your hotel. You can do at least some of the check-in at that time, if not all of it. If they don't have a room for you, they'll look after your bags while you start your sightseeing. It's possible that they might also let you use their gym/spa to shower, if the hotel has some sort of facility like that and you ask about this.

As globaliser said, at the very least do the paperwork for check in, drop your bags and start seeing an amazing city.

You’ll probably be buggered after a long flight, so maybe a ferry ride on the harbour would be a good way to start your visit, or a museum or art gallery, a quiet lunch down at the Rocks.

We arrive at 7 am also. We'll go directly to the hotel and check out luggage in even if we can't get into our room.

Then, with Opal ticket in hand, plan on taking the ferry to and from Panarratta. Stroll around Panarratta. Have lunch. Nice easy sightseeing day. And then back to the hotel to check in and crash for the afternoon.

Having done this trip numerous times, I agree with the conventional wisdom that to best way to get over jet lag is to stay active all day until at least 8pm. So leave your bags at the hotel and start walking! Do not take any afternoon naps or you will be awake all night. Go to bed around 8 - 9 pm and you should awake at a good time the next morning and be fairly well-rested.

Having done this trip numerous times, I agree with the conventional wisdom that to best way to get over jet lag is to stay active all day until at least 8pm. So leave your bags at the hotel and start walking! Do not take any afternoon naps or you will be awake all night. Go to bed around 8 - 9 pm and you should awake at a good time the next morning and be fairly well-rested.

Your advice is good but unfortunately we are at a stage in our lives we can't follow CW.

We are too old to stay awake all day. Even at home we have trouble and no jet lag involved. :D

We will drag ourselves out of bed after our nap, find a place for a light dinner, then crawl back into bed for the same lousy night's sleep we get at home. Lol

We're probably going to drop off our luggage then walk over to the Royal Botanic Gardens and kill some time there.

We have that on the agenda for the next day because we have a tour booked at the Opera House. From where we are staying, the most direct route is right through the gardens. :)

We're probably going to drop off our luggage then walk over to the Royal Botanic Gardens and kill some time there.

When you are at the Gardens, check out The Calyx, pollination floral display. It opens at 10 am and there is a cafe there.

We arrive a few days early in Sidney before our cruise. Plane arrives at 7 Am and hotel check in is at 3 PM. Dont know what to do meantime . Does anyone have any suggestions?
Agree with others - go straight to hotel drop off luggage and do your check in. Ask at reception for somewhere nice ro have breakfast.

After breaky, grab Opal cards and make your way to Circular Quay. Take the ferry to Manly which has some great places to chill out. The ferry across offers some great views of the Harbour and its landmarks.

As others have said, try to work out a strategy to minimise jet lag on the first day. If you must have a nap, keep it short and fill up the rest of the day with activities.

Cheers

We arrive at 7 am also. We'll go directly to the hotel and check out luggage in even if we can't get into our room.

Then, with Opal ticket in hand, plan on taking the ferry to and from Panarratta. Stroll around Panarratta. Have lunch. Nice easy sightseeing day. And then back to the hotel to check in and crash for the afternoon.

I believe you mean Parramatta. If you can get the hang of the pronunciation, it will save you a lot of blank stares from locals!

Cheers

I believe you mean Parramatta. If you can get the hang of the pronunciation, it will save you a lot of blank stares from locals!

Cheers

LOL Yup ... that's what I meant. I admit I was too lazy when I was posting to look up my notes. :D

My husband and I were also arriving on an early morning flight and I contacted our hotel prior to leaving home, asking if they could accommodate us with an early check in. They said that they would do their best and our room was ready by the time that we arrived from the airport. So it doesn't hurt to ask. You could also get to your hotel, ask them to hold your luggage and then go out exploring if your room is not ready.

Hope this helps.

Barb

My husband and I were also arriving on an early morning flight and I contacted our hotel prior to leaving home, asking if they could accommodate us with an early check in. They said that they would do their best and our room was ready by the time that we arrived from the airport. So it doesn't hurt to ask. You could also get to your hotel, ask them to hold your luggage and then go out exploring if your room is not ready.

Hope this helps.

Barb

I totally agree, “It never hurts to ask”.

It’s a motto I live by, you’d be amazed how often the answer is “yes, we can do ....”

Hope this helps.

Barb

We have often used hotels to hold our bags either before our room is ready or long after we have checked out.

The Marriott has a day room with coffee, juices, pastries, newspapers, etc. We checked in around 9ish and went to the day room. Met some other people on our cruise and they called us there around 11 that our room was ready. Unpacked a little, showered and then went sightseeing. Worked for us.

Robbie

Me either, although some hotels sometimes do not have capacity to actually lock your bags away and they have them in the corner of the lobby. Not so secure.

That is my fear....I've seen this before and felt bad for people who left baggage only to have it easy for others to get into or stroll off with. Most of our luggage locks but our smaller bags do not. We are going to be looking into getting locks for them.

That is my fear....I've seen this before and felt bad for people who left baggage only to have it easy for others to get into or stroll off with. Most of our luggage locks but our smaller bags do not. We are going to be looking into getting locks for them.

Thankfully I haven't had the issue too many times and never in Australia or in a 4* or higher hotel when abroad.

• 1 month later...

Ha! That's the same thoughts I used when I worked some night shifts at the hospital. Stay up and move so you can sleep that night!

What could be nicer to (after luggage drop) to hop on a ferry to Manly for a mid morning breakfast and a stroll along the beach....

This...

We'll arrive at stupid o'clock on a Saturday morning, train to Town Hall, drop-off bags at Hotel and freshen up and then jump on a ferry to Manly, stroll up the Corso, stop-off for a flat white at my favourite coffee bar and wander around the market before grabbing lunch at Shelly Beach.