Experiences with being on transplant list when on a cruise

If someone is on the transplant list, what happens if an organ suddenly becomes available if you are on a cruise? If you are at sea will they do a medical evacuation for this? How are customs and such handled? Time is of the essence so what happens to the luggage left behind?

no they will not. you would have to get off at the next port then make your own way back.

and maybe not even then because some ports will not allow you to disembark anyway since they are not set up to handle such things.

The person that is on the list will need to discuss this with their surgeon team. In most cases, the team will tell you that if you go out of the country, you will not be eligible for the organ. You are still on the list, but not eligible again until you return. Pls discuss with the team responsible for the patient, to understand the rules surrounding this individual’s needs.

If someone is on the transplant list, what happens if an organ suddenly becomes available if you are on a cruise? If you are at sea will they do a medical evacuation for this? How are customs and such handled? Time is of the essence so what happens to the luggage left behind?

A person was airlifted off a ship in the middle of the Bass Strait, (late last year, maybe early this year) because a suitable organ had suddenly became available. So it may depend on where you are.

If I were on a transplant list I would NEVER EVER cruise, especially out of the country until I got my transplant. Who knows what germs and viruses, bacterias you could be exposed to that would preclude you from getting your organ? And what if they can't get in touch with you?

For me? No way!

Suzyed, there is no way of knowing if and when an organ will ever become available. It could be 6 months or 10+ years and there is no advance warning. The person can even die before a transplant is possible. A person with chronic illness has to have some enjoyment of life, be able to cross some items off the bucket list and not be kept locked up in the home 24/7. You can also get sick from someone at the grocery store or mall. Plus, the medical professionals have said we can travel. There are certain procedures to be followed and the individual needing transplant can even be put on hold for the transplant list for short periods (such as when traveling) if desired. It is very different right after a transplant when many more restrictions are put in place.

• Like 1

Suzyed, there is no way of knowing if and when an organ will ever become available. It could be 6 months or 10+ years and there is no advance warning. The person can even die before a transplant is possible. A person with chronic illness has to have some enjoyment of life, be able to cross some items off the bucket list and not be kept locked up in the home 24/7. You can also get sick from someone at the grocery store or mall. Plus, the medical professionals have said we can travel. There are certain procedures to be followed and the individual needing transplant can even be put on hold for the transplant list for short periods (such as when traveling) if desired. It is very different right after a transplant when many more restrictions are put in place.

I am very well aware of how the transplant programs work...being an OR Nurse and personal experience with my father having a lung transplant.

Not sure what kind of transplant you are waiting for, but I would hate to think that I went on a cruise while waiting for a transplant and an organ came available and I just contracted the Noro Virus on a cruise and jeopardized getting my chance at a transplant. But that's just me.

If your doctor/surgeon/medical professional says it's ok to travel than that's your call. I would research like crazy how the cruise medical insurance works concerning pre-existing conditions, transport from the ship or a foreign country for your transplant(unless you intend to just hold your place on the list).

Having been in your circumstance, I was just expressing concern and I believe the question was asked, but of course, you can choose what you think is best and I wish you well whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Oceancruise, check your insurance and have a great time, my daughter had a kidney transplant in August, we are going on a Greek cruise this August to celebrate!

You are right , you have to live your life and enjoy it

A relative recently had a successful liver transplant at the Mayo Clinic. Once she was placed on the transplant list she was told she should remain within a two hour drive of the transplant center and to be available to receive "the" call 24/7. If they could not reach her or she could not get there, then her "match" would go to someone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Oceancruise, check your insurance and have a great time, my daughter had a kidney transplant in August, we are going on a Greek cruise this August to celebrate!

You are right , you have to live your life and enjoy it

Congratulations on your daughter getting the transplant and being well enough to travel. Besides things like good handwashing and watching for undercooked foods, etc. does she have other restrictions for travel? Does she feel a marked improvement from the surgery compared to the dialysis?