Ladies, share your tips on how you get ready for dinner

Gosh - I’m going to add a slightly different take here. I also do full hair and makeup each night before dinner. However, I relish the ability to take my time. I often shower and sit on the balcony air drying my hair for a half hour or so. Then my husband and I will have a glass of something sparkling (champagne or prosecco), and I’ll finish the “process”. I have a great cruise mix on my iPhone that we listen to while getting ready as well. During the work week, getting ready is always rush-rush and a chore. On ship I get ready to so that I feel good about me. Perhaps that’s why my best photos have been taken at sea...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn’t care less what my hair looks like on a cruise. To me, the fun I have on excursions, in the pool etc is so much more important then wasting time washing, blow drying and styling my hair. I wash it every other day unless I have been swimming or doing something strenuous and just let it air dry and hope for the best. If i was doing pictures, I would maybe put forth the effort a night or two, but most likely not. To me experiences are more important then pictures.

Oh my goodness...this is a great question because I often feel like getting ready for dinner after a day in the sun is exhausting [emoji23] I usually bring my own blow dryer and when I’m a pinch I wet my hair from the sink and blow dry it straight. I’m like you where I like to take full advantage of the photographers each night, so I hate to look a mess during dinner. Also, I’ve recently discovered dry shampoo which has also been a big time saver to refresh my hair.

Gosh - I’m going to add a slightly different take here. I also do full hair and makeup each night before dinner. However, I relish the ability to take my time. I often shower and sit on the balcony air drying my hair for a half hour or so. Then my husband and I will have a glass of something sparkling (champagne or prosecco), and I’ll finish the “process”. I have a great cruise mix on my iPhone that we listen to while getting ready as well. During the work week, getting ready is always rush-rush and a chore. On ship I get ready to so that I feel good about me. Perhaps that’s why my best photos have been taken at sea...

This is me too! I love taking the time to get ready for dinner- I can usually wash, blow dry and either straighten or curl my hair in about 40 minutes. Make up takes 10-15 mins depending how glam I want to go :D. While I'm getting ready, boyfriend goes and gets a cocktail or two to bring back to the cabin and we get some tunes going. It's great!

I either French braid or just go wild curly and use a clip in the back to go partly up. What cracks me up is all the times I get complemented on the French braid and all I'm thinking is that I did it as a last result. LOL

Wash hair in am, put a gel or mousse in it put in bun. Do not get it wet during the day.

When you take it out you will have big waves. Lightly comb, and hair spray the heck out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I love this! While I rarely do what anyone would consider “full hair and makeup”, I think it’s great that you make it an enjoyable experience! The most important thing, in my opinion: you be you!

I struggle with this also! Sometimes I end up looking a bit ragged in our photos. I hate to give up excursion and activity time getting ready, but I like to get spiffed up for dinner. I will definitely look into these suggestions!

I either French braid or just go wild curly and use a clip in the back to go partly up. What cracks me up is all the times I get complemented on the French braid and all I'm thinking is that I did it as a last result. LOL

Love this - it is interesting how often we get complimented on something that we didn't feel was much effort:)

I get the nicest wave if I braid or twist my hair wet and then let it down once it's dried all day. If you aren't coordinated enough to braid, you can twist into a crown and use bobby pins (or hair sticks if you have).

I need a hour if I wash and blow dry and straighten my hair

Mine is just above my shoulders but very full. I try not to wash my hair more than 3 times a week its also dry. So if I don't get it wet then I just have to straighten it. I just drink a glass of wine while I'm getting ready. And I also do not let my hubby open the balcony door. LOL But yes I wish it didn't take so long.

Leigh

Here's my dilemma: after a day at a port/beach/pool, coming back all sweaty, etc, and having hair that doesn't behave air-dried I usually spend a good amount of time washing my hair and blow drying it so I can look presentable for dinner time. Why do I want to look presentable? Because we tend to take advantage of the photo booths every night (we get the photo package). These are our yearly "family photo sessions" so they are important to me, and I don't want to be in a bun in all these pictures.

My question is, do you have any tips/tricks on how to make styling/prepping time faster? Do you wear wigs, fake ponytails? Do you not dip your head in the water some days so you don't have to wash/style that night? Other?

P.S. Please, I don't need to hear how cruises are supposed to be relaxing and you wouldn't be putting this kind of effort. I'm looking for advice on how to ease my situation, not avoid it, so if you don't have this problem or it's not something you can relate to feel free to move along and/or keep your snarky comments to yourself. (Sorry not trying to sound mean, but it really seems like some people in this board get a thrill out of making sarcastic comments on as many threads as possible).

I shower after a day out & about. I condition my hair AFTER my shower and leave it in. I have middle of the back curly/wavy hair. I put a headband on, my capris & top & espadrilles and I'm out the door ... 30 minutes or so.

I have thick, medium length hair that takes a while to dry. I use Kenra Platinum Blow-Dry Spray after towel drying. This product really cuts down on the time it takes to dry my hair. It comes in a full size and travel size.

This is going to be a bit repetitive, but it's what works for me:

- Have a hair cut just before the cruise; freshly cut hair always seems to "do" nicer and faster.

- Shower before my husband so my hair can dry while I dress.

- I have a ton of hair, but it's stick-straight and baby-fine, so it dries fast. If I towel it after the shower, then let it air dry for 20 minutes or so, I need less than five minutes with the hair dryer to "finish it off".

- I have a fantastic round hair brush with a metal interior, which makes my hair dry even faster and helps me do a bit of straightening or curl at the end of my hair. That brush makes a difference.

I am jealous of all of you with thick curly hair! I know we all want what we don't have lol but I would just short of kill( not literally) for some kind of body to my hair. I have hair a few inches past my shouders that is fine and poker straight. I have a hair dresser friend who laughs at my hair. She tryed a perm that she swears by for hard to curl hair and all it did was wet my hair[emoji35]. I've tryed all kinds of products, i must own a dozen curling thing a ma bobs. I've finally realized the best I can do is keep short layers all through it ( I drive an hour to someone who knows how to layer hair) put gel in it once its good and dry then curl it with a curling iron on the highest setting , let it cool then comb it back and hair spray it. Looks like an 80's Farrah Fosset style but it stays curled ( for a while).

Sent from my LGMP450 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the blow dryer for research purposes while on the Freedom last week. Complete garbage.

I turned my head upside down and blow dried it from the back, and couldn’t even feel the air through the other side of my hair. The force of the air wasn’t even strong enough to make my hair move.

I tried to see how long it would take to get my hair dry, but after 10 minutes my hand got tired, and my hair was still soaking wet and dripping down my back.

Completely and utterly useless if you have truly thick hair. Other than trying it so I could report back on the current state of the blow dryers, I didn’t even bother drying my hair. I left it in a messy beach bun or a ponytail all week, and I was happy enough with that.

This is going to be a bit repetitive, but it's what works for me:

- Have a hair cut just before the cruise; freshly cut hair always seems to "do" nicer and faster.

- Shower before my husband so my hair can dry while I dress.

- I have a ton of hair, but it's stick-straight and baby-fine, so it dries fast. If I towel it after the shower, then let it air dry for 20 minutes or so, I need less than five minutes with the hair dryer to "finish it off".

- I have a fantastic round hair brush with a metal interior, which makes my hair dry even faster and helps me do a bit of straightening or curl at the end of my hair. That brush makes a difference.

This is me too (except for stick-straight). Here are a few additional suggestions:

-Use a glaze whether you color your hair or not, cruising or not (I use John Frieda). I use mine 3x per week and it smooths the cuticle and helps with shine. On the opposite days I use argan oil very sparingly on the ends.

-Hand DH a drink and the remote. I also started my husband on keeping the travel journal for our adventures, so he'll sometimes write in that and drink his scotch while I'm getting ready. I don't feel rushed if he's happily occupied.

-My hair is wavy generally, flat and dry in the winter, and Cher crazy when it's humid. In addition to letting it air dry while I get my clothes and makeup ready, I flip my hair over and up several times to assist in dry it quicker, in addition to MrsPete's suggestions.

-Practice 1 or 2 updos that are manageable for you and quick. I am not above "borrowing" a fresh flower or two while onshore to make it more special. Stick a toothpick or opened bobby pin in the stem for an impromptu flower pick. Or just bring a silk one. They travel well inside the heel of a shoe. Then you just need to blowdry the front for some shape.

I think we get used to seeing ourselves the same way every day when we are home, but it's not always possible to keep the same "look" on vacation with different climate, water, hours, habits, etc. It can take some practice to find ways to feel comfortable and look like yourself on vacation while taking into account all these variables. It's a good time investment, though, IMO. Like learning how to pack better, or researching ports.

To help me get ready to dinner faster this is what I do. In the AM I plan what outfit I am going to wear for that night including underclothes). I put it at one end of the closet, with my costume jeweler I plan to wear in a little baggie. The baggie I attach to the hanger with a clip. Shoes are underneath the hanging outfit. This way I have no looking around for what I want to wear. It saves me some time.

I keep my hair quite short and have for years. I don't own a blow dryer so using one on a cruise is not necessary.

My hair is thick but I towel dry it. As for getting ready for dinner? I always shower and since I sail solo there is nobody waiting to use the shower before or after me;). My make up routine is very slim. I have never used foundation so I don't use it on a cruise. Some eye shadow, mascara and a bit of blush and maybe lip gloss or lipstick. I put on whatever jewelry I am wearing for the evening and I am good to go.

I am low maintenance and that works for me.:) I like to look nice but I just don't do a lot of make up......oh, after I towel dry my hair, I use a comb.:D

My daughter got a Brazilian blowout one year before a cruise and was hooked. She now has it professionally straightened all year, and not just for a cruise. It's an unbelievable time saver and she loves it. We also set everything up the night before or the morning. Outfit on hanger with any camisole or whatever on same hanger. Undies in zip-lock on top ready to grab to head to shower. We also take a flat-folded cardboard type box (Dollar Tree) and put the hair dryer, hair accessories, make-up bag, mirror, jewelry roll, etc in it. It can be carried from bedroom to the desk and everything is in one spot ready to use without searching and laying everything out. It's in that one box ready. We can each be ready, from start to finish in 30 minutes. It's all in the planning ahead and organizing.;p

Never thought of this. Going to do this for my upcoming cruise. Thanks for sharing the great tip!

A couple of pre dinner drinks and I don't care how I look? :eek:

Ha same!! In all honestly, I'm on vacation and want to look presentable but don't stress over it.

I usually plan my dinner outfits before I go on vacation though, I usually know by looking at the itinerary what I will be wearing on what night. I have a couple of dresses that I really love and will wear them more than once on a cruise too. Just be comfortable and enjoy yourself!

Okay so I am not the only one who has this dilemma. My hair is long, fine but a lot of it, and it has a slightkink in it at shoulder height, I wouldn’t even call it a wave lol.

I highly recommend a straightener. Whether it’s a wet to straightone or normal. I have both. My wet one is a bigger 2” (I think) palm size oneand is great if I’m running late. I usually towel dry it a bit to get outexcess water and a quick buzz with hair dryer on my roots and then I zip overit. I find it great fro getting the ends really stiff and straight. My normalis abut1” two fingers sized one. I find this one makes my hair look sleeker atthe roots and I can also curl with it so this one comes with me on holidays.

If you are worried about hair damage invest in a good heat protectantstray to use before heat styling and get regular cuts. I was worried I was damagingmy hair so I asked the hair dresser how damaged was my hair when I went in fora trim and colour. I was like if it needs it cut off a lot. They told me my hairwas in good condition and only needed a trim which was normal as I hadn’t hadone for 3 months. Later we were discussing how I style my hair and I said wet straighterand they were like oh not don’t do that. That’s going to damage your hair. Ismiled and was like I’ve been using it for over a year and you just told me myhair was in good condition.

Dry shampoo always come with me on holidays. A turbie towelcan be good too. I have at home washed my hair first. Pulled it into the towel,then finished up with washing the rest of me or shaving. Obviouly its only afew extra minutes but it all counts.

I too end up doing abun on a lazy night. You could try doing a side bun and add a sparkly clip. Or assome have suggested going for a braid or a plait. I can’t braid so I twist myhair around my face aka Queen Elsa style with a side plait. Looks really nice and complicated butso easy.

I make sure im the first to shower so hair can dry a little whileI’m dressing and doing makeup. Sometimes this means leaving the pool a littlerearlier than my companion. I’ll do basic makeup some nights so at least my faceis a bit different in photos too J

Hope his helps

Invest in a good conditioner, use a powerful hairdryer. Takes me about an hour. I have frizzy long hair so on casual nights it gets put up. I straighten it for formal nights and make sure I use a good straightener. Make up I make sure I use a primer under my foundation as it will last longer.

Tip: if you prefer to wear hair curly. Wash your hair as soon as you come in and leave in a little of your conditioner. Let your hair dry naturally and you should have more defined curls x