Favorite Regent Ship

mrlevin

Which is your favorite Regent ship?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Regent ship?

• Seven Seas Navigator
    • Seven Seas Mariner
    • Seven Seas Voyager
    • Seven Seas Explorer

Thanks for starting this poll Marc.

Voyager was our fav ship for a long time, tho recalled how often you preferred the Mariner. Once we sailed on the Mariner in Jan/Feb, we learned quickly why you (and now us)prefer the Mariner.

WE now have over 50 days booked on the Mariner.

Great poll but it would be nice if people that have sailed on all four ships voted because, although we have many Regent cruises, our favorite was the Voyager........ until we sailed on the Explorer. For us it is a no-brainer - the Explorer is tops by far (especially the suites - excluding the PH suites). So, it is possible that the result will be skewed if voters have to been on one or more of the ships.

Been on all four ships. Explorer is our overall favorite for accommodations and restaurants (big Pacific Rim fans). Mariner for public spaces. Voyager if in the basic suites. Navigator...not so much.

I've only been on the Voyager - for 63 glorious nights last fall. So, by default, it is my favourite.

Hi Marq. Hope you and Arlene are doing well.

Linda

Linda, it was a fantastic cruise. Which trip have you and Rudy booked next?

Marc

Linda, it was a fantastic cruise. Which trip have you and Rudy booked next?

Marc

Our next cruise is on Celebrity :( - it was booked prior to the Regent cruise.... It is Canada, New England and Bermuda later this month. Then, next up are a couple of land based vacations. Then back to Regent! For now we will cruise Regent vicariously thru the posts here.

Take care. Linda

Oh, that's a tough one, since we haven't been on Explorer, and all the other ships have had a face-lift since a year ago last winter when we were on Mariner. Used to love Voyager, but loved Mariner last time out. As a cruise buddy of mine said long ago, you love Mariner for the public spaces, and love Voyager for the cabins. But then again, I'm quite fond of Navigator, truth be told!

We have been on all four ships and enjoyed each one. I would say that the Explorer is our favourite for many reasons. The Concierge level suite is a great size and layout with a fantastic bathroom with double sinks plus a shower and a bathtub. We love the Coffee Connection area, the Infinity Pool and the specialty restaurants, especially for lunch on sea days! We are looking forward to an extended cruise on the Explorer over the Christmas holidays on to the crossing.

We have sailed on the Navigator numerous times and I will say she has dropped to the last on our list in the past 6 months. She is great but just lacks a little in entertainment and specialty restaurants.

The Voyager and Mariner are very nice, not sure we have a preference here.

As I often say about these types of questions, they are pretty great problems to have!

Cheers.

Pat and Marg

Really appreciate those of you that have not sailed on all of the ships stating so. It make the results more accurate and is only fair. So, for those that have not sailed on all ships - if you voted, there would be one less vote for Voyager and Mariner (could be more if Wendy voted).

I'm finding this very interesting and understand that our choices change from time to time. We gave up Navigator about 6 years ago and, as much as we enjoyed the suites on Voyager and the public spaces on Mariner, IOO (in our opinion) the ships cannot compete with Explorer in terms of suites, restaurants and public areas.

We have only sailed on Voyager so won't participate in the vote. I love Voyager.

As cabin size makes a big differencet to me we are unlikely to sail on Mariner unless it has an itinerary that we just can't get anywhere else.

We hopefully sail on Explorer this winter so will have at least 1 more ship to compare to Voyager.

We were supposed to be on Navigator last fall but had to cancel due to health reasons.

We’ve sailed on all four ships: Mariner and Navigator multiple times, Voyager and Explorer once each. We haven’t been on the three older ships since they’ve undergone fairly extensive dry docks in the past 2 or so years, but we’ll be on the Mariner later this year and are looking forward to seeing the updates.

Our preference, in order, is Mariner first by a fairly wide margin. Voyager and Explorer are very close together, with Voyager getting the nod as second. Navigator is a slightly distant fourth, although it has a quirky charm of its own and we wouldn’t hesitate to sail on her if the itinerary was right.

We are happy sailing in basic suites (the categories below penthouse level). The best basic suites are on the Voyager and Navigator, although in both ships—Navigator in particular—you have to be careful of where your suite is located (mainly because of vibration issues). But the layout is excellent, and we wish those suites were on the Mariner and Explorer.

Many people complain about the size of the Mariner’s suites, and we do wish they were about one foot wider. The sitting area is fine, and the general layout is quite good; but the space between the foot of the bed and the wall opposite it is rather narrow, and a bit difficult to navigate. In the scheme of things that’s a pretty minor niggle. But it’s because of that niggle that we prefer the suites on the Voyager and Navigator.

On our single Explorer sailing we were in a G-level suite, which has a similar layout to the Mariner’s basic suites. We liked the suite. Our only issue was the TV was mounted on the wall opposite the bed. Because these suites, like those on the Mariner, have a narrow space between the foot of the bed and the opposite wall, adding the TV to the mix makes a narrow space still narrower. Because we don’t watch TV in bed we also found the placement strange. But all of this is minor stuff. If we ever sail the Explorer again we may select an itinerary where (for us) a Concierge-level suite makes sense, to see if we like that layout (we know many people do, although we have reservations about it—locating the desk in the bedroom area seems an odd choice).

The Mariner has by far the best public spaces in the fleet. The Navigator has the worst. Although some of the public space in the Explorer is very good—we particularly like deck 5—we rate the Voyager higher than the Explorer. The lack of an outside viewing area facing forward on the Explorer (deck 12) is a deficiency (but there are itineraries where this wouldn’t be much of an issue). The lack of a Horizon lounge on the Explorer is also a negative to us.

But we’re itinerary driven when it comes to selecting cruises, and would be happy to sail on any of the four (soon to be five) ships.

John G, I couldn't have stated it better.

I am somewhat surprised that there are only 50 votes; I thought we were a much larger community. I am not surprised that Mariner and Explorer are the two favorites; after all, they have the smallest entry level suites while having the largest passenger to space ratio; i.e., they have the most space devoted to public areas. Glad to see that I am not alone in having no issues with either H on Mariner (or Voyager or Navigator) and G2 on Explorer.

Ok, when will the rest of you vote??

John G, I couldn't have stated it better.

I am somewhat surprised that there are only 50 votes; I thought we were a much larger community. I am not surprised that Mariner and Explorer are the two favorites; after all, they have the smallest entry level suites while having the largest passenger to space ratio; i.e., they have the most space devoted to public areas. Glad to see that I am not alone in having no issues with either H on Mariner (or Voyager or Navigator) and G2 on Explorer.

Ok, when will the rest of you vote??

I question whether or not there are issues with G2 suites on Explorer. I could be wrong but think that John G (and yourself) might feel differently if you stayed in a F1/F2/Concierge suite on Explorer.

Marc, thanks for starting this poll and thanks for leading us to the Mariner our fav Regent Ship.

Tho, we have not sailed on the Explorer (nor will we book the Splendor) not surprised that the Mariner is a co-leader for Regent's fav ship. The Mariner public spaces are a delight to enjoy vs the Navigator, Voyager.

Edited by WesW

I question whether or not there are issues with G2 suites on Explorer. I could be wrong but think that John G (and yourself) might feel differently if you stayed in a F1/F2/Concierge suite on Explorer.

Jackie, when I first sailed on Mariner in 2002, I was blown away. At that time, I determined that best course for me was to sail on the ship wherein I "liked" the cheapest accommodation onboard; in that situation I was getting all the benefits of a fantastic ship whilst being subsidized by those paying for the more expensive suites. At that time, Mariner was the only "all suite all balcony" ship in existence; when Voyager joined the fleet in 2003 there were two such ships. Yes I sailed on Navigator (never with a balcony) and Diamond and PG; however, the design of Mariner and Voyager are my favorites. On Splendor I have booked an F2; but it might be one and done as has been the case with the Explorer.

Marc

PS I will probably have to find a new cruise line when Mariner and Voyager are discarded.

We like the Mariner also, but have one problem with it. We find the suites all the way from Cat. H to Concierge are just a bit too small for us. We'd have to book all the way up to Penthouse to get more space, Other than that, it's a great ship.

Jackie, when I first sailed on Mariner in 2002, I was blown away. At that time, I determined that best course for me was to sail on the ship wherein I "liked" the cheapest accommodation onboard; in that situation I was getting all the benefits of a fantastic ship whilst being subsidized by those paying for the more expensive suites. At that time, Mariner was the only "all suite all balcony" ship in existence; when Voyager joined the fleet in 2003 there were two such ships. Yes I sailed on Navigator (never with a balcony) and Diamond and PG; however, the design of Mariner and Voyager are my favorites. On Splendor I have booked an F2; but it might be one and done as has been the case with the Explorer.

Marc

PS I will probably have to find a new cruise line when Mariner and Voyager are discarded.

Very interesting comments. It will likely be a very long time before the Mariner and/or Voyager are discarded or sold but when they are, I wonder what luxury cruise lines will be available as other choices. Like yourself, we have also been on Silversea and will be on a very short Alaska cruise on another luxury line next year (but do not expect it to compare favorably with Regent although it does have a washer/dryer in the suite and included pressing so we won't miss our laundry benefit so much.)

I do like the idea of this thread but, unfortunately, people are voting that have yet to try all four ships so I wonder how valid the results are. Looking forward to hearing what you think of an F2 suite on Splendor. We really liked the F2 suite on Explorer.

Speaking of other luxury lines, Last January we were on Celebrity for a music cruise (so we didn't have a choice of lines). But we did book a suite. After cruising Regent the most, we were pleasantly surprised. All beverage inclusive, large two room suite, separate suite class dining, separate suite lounge, and a real two room suite over twice the size of the lower five or so categories on the Mariner. Can't really compare prices, as the fare included an increase to pay some great bands! But we liked it well enough to book Celebrity for Alaska later this summer. Got an even larger suite (almost 600 sq. ft.plus balcony) for a little less than a Cat H on the Mariner. Only difference in inclusions are the air and shore excursions, which aren't included on Celebrity. But "free air" on Regent would have bee coach/economy and therefore a no - go for us and only a small rebate for not using it. And we got sufficient credits to do all the excursions we'd like.

Withholding final judgement until after the Alaska cruise. But from what I've seen so far, there may be competition in the lux category that many of us don't know about.