Ultimate dining package/Oasis of the seas question

I purchased the Ultimate dining plan so I could make the most of the tremendous variety available on Oasis of the seas. I realize doing this forfeits the ability to book ahead. My question for those who have done it is, how successful were you in getting your preferred dining venues and times? I will be celebrating an anniversary on board and would love 150 central. However I also would like to see the evening show without being rushed. I plan to get to a specialty restaurant as soon as I board to book my time spots, but hoping they are not just really early or late choices. Second, is embarkation day considered a "sea day" so that I can take advantage of a specialty lunch during that day? Any advice is greatly appreciated.(Except those who feel the need to state that a dining plan is not necessary.) It is for me.;););)

Thank you both for the quick replies. I am usually a pre-planner. Not being able to reserve early was causing some anxiety. Glad to hear you've had a good experience with it. And happy my first day will include lunch at Chops!

We had a 5 night dining package on Oasis last year and had no trouble booking exactly what we wanted when we got on board. I had pre-planned desired locations, nights and times to fit with the rest of our schedule. (I’m a planner!) There were tables setup in the promenade area with people selling the dining package and they were able to take a reservations there. Later in the week, we decided to switch a Chops booking with 150 CP, since we had tried both and 150 was definitely our preferred of the two. If I remember correctly, you can do this from the tv in your stateroom. Availability was more limited, but we still got a reasonable time. We loved specialty dining and found the package to be a great value. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have done the ultimate dining package on Oasis. We got the restaurants and times we wanted. It was a group of 4 of us as well. I was worried before the cruise as well. We are doing it again for out next one as well.

We have used the packages on Oasis and Allure and once we got on board we went to the restaurant and made changes to the times without any issue. They don't fill up all the slots on line so that they will have spots open for walk ups. Only issues have come up on formal nights on Chops and 150 so if that is your choice you might have to be a little flexible around the most popular times. Enjoy.

We have done the Ultimate Dining on other Oasis class ships in the past few years. We certainly enjoy the benefit and upscale dining. We have been on Royal for about 25+cruises and found dining room, not our thing, since DW and I typically traveling and not in groups. We typically book our dining and time plans as soon as we get on board , after getting the drink package and having "a cold one". It's vacation time, enjoy and take advantage of the Dining Pkg. We find it worth our while. Happy sailing! :cool:

Another vote for "You'll have no trouble!"

We had the added complication of adding my then 10 year old daughter as you don't buy them a package, they either pay the kids price at each place or the full price depending on what they eat, but it was no problem getting all of the reservations we wanted.

I've also done the 5-night specialty package on Oasis (as well as Allure and Harmony) and like the others, have nearly always gotten into the restaurant we wanted the night we wanted. Few things that are good to know:

* If you have a show booked, the restaurant won't give you a reservation within two hours of the show (they see your schedule in their reservation system)

* Even if you can't get a reservation at the time you want, sometimes if you just show up at that time, they'll find space for you (i.e., there can be no-shows)

It's definitely worth the cost--it's a much more relaxing experience with better food. And 150 Central Park is fabulous, both the food and service. Enjoy! - Musing About Cruising

If we do the UDP, do you need to make reservations for lunch the first day (we are thinking CHOPS) or do we just go there and tell them we have the plan and see when they will seat us?

Just go there.