Lock box for beach chair at castaway

Shmoo here

Has anyone used a lock box to secure your valuables while at the beach? Wife and I are looking for something for castaway.

I’ve seen mixed reviews on the aqua vault. Has anyone used it? Is it good, or is there a more secure lock box.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What valuables are you locking up? The chairs on Castaway Cay are not fastened down, so attaching something to them won't be all that efficient. Umbrellas are secured in the sand, however.

Just a couple things. Phones, our key cards. Maybe some cash. Nothing major. Just stuff we don’t want to lug around while swimming/snorkeling

Well, KTTW cards, as well as cash, can get wet. My husband & I just put such things in our swimsuits. Phones - we don't take them ashore. I have a waterproof camera that stays with me when we swim.

Why dont you google the KYSS bag.

It locks the bag and then you can lock to a chair.

Used our first one for many years, just ordered our second.

It last and can still use the first but looks a little tattered.

Comes in different sizes.

Love ours.

Enjoy Their private island, that destination was our first ever private island stop, and oh how we miss it!!!!!!!

Sea Ya

I have an Aquavault that I bought for water park use and it’s served us well. I got it on sale from Zulilly like a year ago. Looks like this:

https://theaquavault.com/collections/frontpage/products/aquavault-portable-outdoor-safe?variant=5874753220

One of my friends spotted a product like this, not sure if it’s Aquavault brand, at her Hallmark store over the weekend for $10. I had her grab me one.

https://theaquavault.com/collections/frontpage/products/flexsafe

I like having these things. I do take my phone out on Castaway with me to take pics but also to FaceTime with my (grown) kids at home. Castaway utilizes the Bahamian cell network so I can use my AT&T international pass at just $10/day.

• 2 weeks later...

We tried an AquaVault this spring on a trip to the Dominican Republic, and the lock jammed on the fourth day. Couldn't get it unlocked no matter how many times I tried. I thought I was going to have to call maintenance and possibly destroy a beach chair in the process of getting it cut off, but before doing that, I went back to the room and fortunately had my laptop there to search the internet.

Turns out this is a known problem, as the combination can occasionally get changed as you open and close the stupid thing. So I went back to the beach, and started trying one off combinations of my code, and sure enough, 10 minutes later, I had it opened.

I never used it again, because I figured I had more risk of getting it stuck than getting robbed on the beach.

Just a couple things. Phones, our key cards. Maybe some cash. Nothing major. Just stuff we don’t want to lug around while swimming/snorkeling

The only thing we need is our key card. We don't take our phones, and the only cash you can spend is at the post office. If you want to tip someone, put it on your charge slip.

What valuables are you locking up? The chairs on Castaway Cay are not fastened down, so attaching something to them won't be all that efficient. Umbrellas are secured in the sand, however.

A bag locked to a chair will be hard to take. Only a foolish or dedicated thief would try to walk off with a chair with a bag obviously locked to it.

As for solutions, I confess to relying on the kindness of strangers and have never lost anything. I wouldn't do that any more at non-Disney beach in terms of valuable, but I'm not sure I'd bother even locking up a phone given that once it's discovered missing, it can be bricked and useless to whomever takes it.

That said, the KYSS bags seem to be the best solution I've found and I've considered bringing one along.

Dirk

A bag locked to a chair will be hard to take. Only a foolish or dedicated thief would try to walk off with a chair with a bag obviously locked to it.

Dirk

Those beach chairs & loungers have a way of moving around on the beach. Yes, people to pick them up and move them some distances, if they want them in a different location.

Those beach chairs & loungers have a way of moving around on the beach. Yes, people to pick them up and move them some distances, if they want them in a different location.

But with a locked bag hanging from the chair? That would surely catch somebody's attention.

Dirk

i use an overboard waterproof belt pack - i wear it to the beach, waterpark, pool, wherever..

http://www.over-board.com/waterproof-multipurpose-belt-pack.html

sometimes i use the larger waistpack (usually at the beach at home, when i have to drive and have a lot more to carry)...

http://www.over-board.com/pro-light-waterproof-waist-pack-3-litres.html