New Years Cruise question

I’ll be with a small group on Freedom cruise that leaves out of San Juan on December 30. Is there anything special they do for New Years Eve or day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the same cruise... And just getting off the Freedom on Saturday, we asked if it will be the same as New Years on the Adventure- and everyone confirmed that it will be. Basically a big party on the promenade, with "private" tables in the bars- which you do pay a lot more for- but get you own space, and a bottle of Champagne.

Besides the higher cost at specialties, there is a special menu in the MDR. Because of that, we've never done the specialty restaurants NYE. We will be in Curacao on Jan 1, and based on previous cruises, expect a lot to be closed. They will be showing the bowl games on board.

Any idea if there a menu change in specialty restaurants that day as well or just increase because of holiday? Also, can you reserve a table on line or do you have to wait for when you board the ship. Thanks in advance

Any idea if there a menu change in specialty restaurants that day as well or just increase because of holiday? Also, can you reserve a table on line or do you have to wait for when you board the ship. Thanks in advance

When we were in a GS, we were able to pre-book a table via the concierge. They also sent a note about the party- which was important, since NYE was on the first night. First time we've had formal night on the first night.

Not sure how it's done for others.

Also, can you reserve a table on line or do you have to wait for when you board the ship.

It may become available in the planner and it could be that you may be able to avoid the higher on board prices booking this way. The specific table will be assigned by the host when you show up.

We're on the Brilliance this year NYE with our children, spouses and granddaughter (almost 6) to celebrate a special anniversary. Have 2nd seating for dinner and glad to hear there may be a special menu. Not going to book a special table for 7 of us in a bar! Will celebrate but not that way.

My experience is you can book specialty restaurants online prior to the cruise for NYE, but the price is much higher than usual. And if NYE is the first night, likely will not have a First Night Done Right or BOGO offer online.

I don't recall having the ability to pre-purchase the NYE party tables online. Once on the ship last year, they were selling these tables pretty hard.

If you want to be in the middle of the action, no need to buy a table as these are up a few floors with a good view. Last year, we passed as we wanted to see the fireworks from Nassau as we sailed away.

Looking at another NYE cruise here and wondering what the charges might be and if anyone has additional details. Where can you hang out if you don’t want to spend the extra $?

Most places are free. Even with free sparkling wine. Just the bars along the promenade are pay for tables.

But you are sharing the space with the rest of the ship.

I forgot that there's also a party on the pool deck.

All specialty dining was already sold out when we boarded for our NYE cruise so no D+ BOGO.

At dinner in the MDR, Lobster & Filet were available and they were delicious! There were party favors on the tables and everyone was in a merry mood. We were glad we didn't waste our money at a specialty restaurant.

Appreciate all the info, would have preferred to not do a New Year cruise but tied to high school break.

Heading on Oasis 30 December so this should be fun. Was going back and forth on whether or not to dress to the nines for the first formal night but realizing that it’s also New Year’s Eve will probably go all out. Anyone have thoughts on onboard tuxedo rentals… I’ll likely just wear my formal uniform but will need something for my 18-year-old.

Also (please excuse the dumb question from the newbie), does this change effect our standard 8pm dinner reservations in the MDR?

I have been on a ship departing NYE ... as noted, that night will be formal and they will have party favors/hats (generally in the dining room ... nothing like a bunch of noise as people use the favors through dinner). Speciality restaurants will generally be running some type of special fixed price menu with wine ... that's how they mark it up rather than charge more for the same dinner you'd get every night. If you want to be on the Promenade at midnight (standing), be prepared to get there early and to be packed in body-to-body.

We have done 5 NYE cruises ( 4 on RCCL and one on Celebrity) and have enjoyed each one. I can speak for the RCCL cruises as we have done those 4 NYE in the past 5 years.

You do not need to spend any extra $$ to enjoy the festivities. There is a party everywhere. The Centrum/Promenade will be packed. That is where you will also find many reserved seating spaces for a fee. On the ship with a Centrum, they have even locked the glass elevators on the floor above the centrum and sold that space. I don't recall the exact fees for reserved tables or seating but I believe they were somewhere in the $500-$1000 range.

We never reserved any seating and were able to enjoy the celebrations. There will be parties in several bars and on the pool deck. Seems every cruise, folks start jumping into the pool, formal wear and all!

Specialty restaurants will be about double the rate and there is no BOGO allowed to be used for those nights, at least in our experience. We had one cruise in December 2015 that was over both Christmas and NYE and the specialty restaurants had the "Celebration" pricing for Christmas Eve, Christmas and NYE. There is a special souvenir menu in the dining room.

NYE will be formal night regardless of where it falls during the cruise. Our last NYE cruise boarded on Dec 31 and the first night was formal.

Ship will be loaded with kids so if that is an issue, stay away from NYE We also found more than the usual foreign guests and enjoyed meeting folks from other countries.

If you are a College Sports Fan, Bowl games will be shown on the pool screen and likely at other bars.

Enjoy

M