Preventing Your Kids From Breaking Curfew!!

Okay, so my kids have their own cabin on our upcoming cruise. I told them if they tried to sneak out after curfew that I could find out by asking guest services for a list containing the dates and times that the cabin door was opened and closed.

Do you think that that's an actual thing?? Or is it just a lie that a parent will tell to strike fear in their kids??

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Forums mobile app

Yes they know every time you put your key card in, to access your room so they will know the time. I have a very good friend that works for a cruise line ( Princess) and he told me that. I think it is a security measure.

Yes you can get a log of card swipes but treating your kids like responsible young adults will get you more mileage.
I agree, but I want to at least be able to tell them it's possible and actually mean it. I have NO INTENTION of getting the list!! I hope that when we all go to sleep after midnight that no one would try sneaking out!!

Okay, so my kids have their own cabin on our upcoming cruise. I told them if they tried to sneak out after curfew that I could find out by asking guest services for a list containing the dates and times that the cabin door was opened and closed.

Do you think that that's an actual thing?? Or is it just a lie that a parent will tell to strike fear in their kids??

You're breaking the rules why can't they.;p

Security WILL track them down and return them to their room, unless your kids look like they are over 18yo AND are making no noise whatsoever.

My kid is a "good kid" -- no drinking, smoking, drugs, vandalism, etc. -- and I cruised with him when he was 15yo, 16yo, 17yo, and 18yo. Deck Patrol would send him to his room at 1:01am, every single time, until he was 18yo (and his behavior didn't change at 18yo -- just the age on his card when they would check it).

My boy is in boot camp right now... no more cruising with him for at least five years -- Uncle Sam's Army owns him now.

How old are your kids?

I’m not knowledgeable about the swipe thing. I would be pretty surprised if RC would provide you with that, and older kids would probably figure that out pretty quick after talking to fellow passengers. But I could be wrong. Could be I just never investigated that. But my 17yo said he has never heard of that and would be surprised if that were real. I would love to hear first hand from someone if they had success with that.

Our kids are now 21, 20 and 17. We have cruised with them probably at least a couple times a year for over 10 years. Curfew is TOUGH to enforce. 1 am for 17 and under( although it wasn’t that late for our kids when they were younger). And later if there are planned kid events. Tough for me because I don’t normally stay up till 1am. They had to check in with me or DH when they were in for the night, but as they got older they had their own room next to us and I wasn’t putting tape on the door or installing a camera.

This is where you just have to have a serious talk with your kids. Or at least that is how we handled it. If we catch you out after curfew, I will hunt you down (have to admit I had guest services page one of our kids after curfew, and they actually did it), and you will not have the privileges you desire once you break our trust.

It’s tough because it’s so much more tempting for them to sneak out on a cruise than at home. Easy access to fun. I’m guessing my kids might have snuck out more than I know.

To me communication of expectations and a decent amount of fear of consequences was our strategy. We survived. You will too and figure out what is the best strategy for your family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Old fashioned grandma here but we used to put a piece of tape on the door after they turn in. Once the door is reopened there’s no way to replace the tape from the inside.

I'm a teacher, and we do this on overnight trips when we put the kids in for the night. Clear scotch tape at the top of the door. Can't see it, can't fix it.

If I couldn't trust my kids, they would not be in another cabin

Who cares if they leave the cabin?

How far can they go???

Well, there was just a story circulating pretty recently here about a kid, who was out after curfew, being assaulted by the drunk insulted relatives of a girl he had acted inappropriately with.

So it isn't how far they go it is what can happen to them.

They cannot tell if the door is opened. But they can tell when, and by which card, the door is opened with a key card.

So can most hotels.

This is used in case of reports of theft, to see who has been in the room.

So far I have only been willing to put my kids in an adjoining room for this exact reason. We keep the door open between our rooms while sleeping so that I can hear them come and go.

I think the tape on the door is a brilliant way to ‘trust but verify’ if I was awake when they turn in! (The beauty of the adjoining room is that they come check in with me and I can be snuzzled up in bed!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk