Currency exchange for Morocco

brandy3415

Hi

I did a search for this topic and found nothing that made sense to the question I have.

Are we better off exchanging US $$$ for dirhams before we arrive in Agadir and go on our tour? What is best value currency to use when shopping? (we will be in Taroudant for the tour)

I know the smaller merchants we expect to encounter probably will not take debit or credit cards, so I want to be prepared. Tour already paid for so it will just be tips, plus the local merchandise I plan to buy.

Thanks!

We just get Dirhams from an ATM's in Moroccan ports, which are easily available, but if you are on a trip, you may not have time to do that. We always feel it is good manners to use the local currency and you will always get a far better price using local currency. That does not mean that medina or tourist shops will not accept other currencies at their own exchange rate of course, (though not sure US currency would be accepted in a small inland town which is not a port). Euros likely to be much more easily recognised by locals and much easier for them to find another tourist willing to change Euros into their own currency. You may not have the same success if you want to pick up e.g. a bottle of water - but if they can charge you a dollar for something that is only worth a few cents they may well find that a very good deal, if they think they are likely to have any chance of changing it to their own currency that is :)

Largely depends what you want to buy and if you are OK with being massively ripped off. I would expect tour guides will be happy to take any currency as tips.

We just get Dirhams from an ATM's in Moroccan ports, which are easily available, but if you are on a trip, you may not have time to do that. We always feel it is good manners to use the local currency and you will always get a far better price using local currency. That does not mean that medina or tourist shops will not accept other currencies at their own exchange rate of course, (though not sure US currency would be accepted in a small inland town which is not a port). Euros likely to be much more easily recognised by locals and much easier for them to find another tourist willing to change Euros into their own currency. You may not have the same success if you want to pick up e.g. a bottle of water - but if they can charge you a dollar for something that is only worth a few cents they may well find that a very good deal, if they think they are likely to have any chance of changing it to their own currency that is :)

Largely depends what you want to buy and if you are OK with being massively ripped off. I would expect tour guides will be happy to take any currency as tips.

I do agree as to the respect for country when you have their currency. I appreciate your response, and it confirms for me what I was going to do, which is exchange currency before taking trip (even though I know more costly than using an ATM)

I doubt we will be visiting ATMs since we are on a tour that goes into the countryside so better to have beforehand.

We always use local currency. It was harder before the Euro since each country was different! In Norway several years ago we had Kroner and went to a museum. Ended up costing only $10 (on original entry of $10 each), in part because we had the Kroner!

Scandinavia and Iceland getting easier because card payments have become so common there. It is a nuisance to be left with left over cash, so I see your point. Just done a search and I think Moroccan Dirhams is a closed currency though, so not sure you will be able to get ahead of your visit. The Trip Advisor forums may be the best place to look for advice and likely to get a more reliable reply than mine about what may be acceptable.

We did the tour to Taroudant last time we went to Agadir on a cruise ship and it was a good trip. We did have some free time but not a lot, so no need to purchase anything if you do not want to and a lot of what was available was just poor quality tourist things. There was not enough time to search out a good outlet to buy stuff to be honest. The refreshment stop was at a pretty up market restaurant or hotel and again no need to buy anything there either and I do not think any of us tipped (but it was a British ship's tour :)).

If you are also visiting Euro land could well be worth having some Euros with you as well as your dollars in case you do decide to buy something.

Hope you enjoy your cruise,

Barbara

I just did a search and you are absolutely right--Dirhams cannot be purchased in USA. So either we find an ATM or currency exchange at the port or do without!

We are doing an Agadir to Taroudant tour, not with ship. They assure me there will be adequate time to shop. I collect tea pots and must get one from there, along with some of their signature mint tea!

We always get Euros--never have any left after the trip--use any remaining from ports for extra tips. I have some British pounds left from last cruise and we will use them at end of trip before departure.

I have some British pounds left from last cruise and we will use them at end of trip before departure.

Depending when your last cruise was, you may wish to check that your notes are still in circulation - the £10 and £5 notes have changed in the last couple of years.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/withdrawn-banknotes

Experiences related on the British board here is that some banks are still exchanging them for non-customers. There will come a point when they will have to be exchanged at the Bank of England, the central bank.

We are doing an Agadir to Taroudant tour, not with ship. They assure me there will be adequate time to shop. I collect tea pots and must get one from there, along with some of their signature mint tea!

The trips all pretty much all the same, whether from a ship, hotel or direct with tour company, but prices and size of group can differ of course. You will have time to pick up what you want, but in our experiences the location of the 'free time' was dictated by where the tour guide left you. That will not be by the cheapest outlets, but they would likley take whatever currency you choose to have with you :)

Your US accent will likely restrict your bargaining power as well - but you will get what you want. Enjoy the cruise, Taroudant is a nice town and we had a pleasant drive there/back.

Barbara