How are Viking crew treated?

Twitchly

I’ve been reading a book by a former cruise crew member and have seen a few videos of staff rooms online, and it appears to be a pretty rough life. (Yes, for many folks it ends up being better than what they can find on land. But still.)

I’ve heard anecdotally that Viking treats its staff better than average but can’t find out anything more than that. What do any of you know about how Viking crew members and staff live?

I have stayed in contact with a waitress from our River cruise who crossed over to Oceans. She actually told us that they treat their staff members well and much better than other lines that she worked for.

That’s great. Did she give you any examples?

Carpman, the book is “Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member” by Joshua Kinser. I can’t really recommend it; it’s repetitive, and he labors under the misapprehension that whining is amusing. But I have learned a few things.

Mainly, I’m just curious about the whole business—how the ship works, what life is like for crew and staff, how the industry functions, etc.

That’s great. Did she give you any examples?

Carpman, the book is “Chronicles of a Cruise Ship Crew Member” by Joshua Kinser. I can’t really recommend it; it’s repetitive, and he labors under the misapprehension that whining is amusing. But I have learned a few things.

Mainly, I’m just curious about the whole business—how the ship works, what life is like for crew and staff, how the industry functions, etc.

I have read that book. It was actually published in the 1990's and is badly out of date,

Unfortunately, I don't have examples for you. I've toured cruise quarters for DCL and stay in contact with a different cast member from DCL. He is pretty tight lipped about their work like. He has been doing it for at least 10 years when we first met.

I am somewhat foggy on the details, but I recall reading about some special events that were scheduled in the Philippines for some of the crew on the current World Cruise. It seems there are quite a few Filipino crew members, and they planned something for the families of the crew who came to the port to visit. I do not recall any of the details, but I remember thinking that was good of Viking to provide such consideration for their crew.

On a broader note, while I realize the crew members are selected first and foremost for their personalities, I have never met such an all around pleasant group of service professionals. I imagine that would be hard to maintain if they were not well treated by their employers. That being said, I also assume that it is a very demanding job.

I’ve been reading a book by a former cruise crew member and have seen a few videos of staff rooms online, and it appears to be a pretty rough life. (Yes, for many folks it ends up being better than what they can find on land. But still.)

I’ve heard anecdotally that Viking treats its staff better than average but can’t find out anything more than that. What do any of you know about how Viking crew members and staff live?

I would say that Viking may make life easier on their crew, or at least the perception that it is, and I can't verify that, because the ships are much smaller, and there may be a different pax/crew ratio, again something I can't verify. However, I would say that it wouldn't be much of a difference to other lines, or there would be a mass exodus from those lines to Viking. Also, Viking is new to the ocean trade, and their crewing philosophy may change with time and economics.

Working and living on a ship is a difficult life. The first thing is that you have to be disconnected from family for long periods of time. Then, you have to live in a small cabin with several strangers. Work long hours, every day without a break, and see the same people you work with in all your off duty hours. Very few US citizens find this appealing, but it is less of a culture shock for the nationalities where crew are traditionally hired, where communal living is much more common. Virtually every ship will have an unofficial "marketplace" or two that spring up a few times a week, where crew exchange goods (those who got ashore sell necessities to those who couldn't) or services (haircuts and styling, mending) and also trade gossip and news from back home. Those who stay, like it, those who don't like it leave.

Are there any more recent books you would recommend?

A more recent book is Cruising through life as a Bartender by Teo Toydemir. Not s bad read. Two is currently on Crystal but has worked on other lines as well such as Cunard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I realize the following is one crewmember on one ship on one day but ... one of my favorite memories from our cruise last fall on the Sea is when my husband asked the young woman at the bread station in the World Cafe if she enjoyed her job. Her face lit up and with a huge smile she said “Oh yes! Every day, every day!” I agree with Lackcreativity’s “all-around pleasant” not just when they’re “on” with passengers around but at work in the passageways and in the WC open kitchen.

You have to be a very special person to share a cabin with bunk beds and a bathroom a tiny bit larger than a toilet and show up every day smiling and happy and pleasant. I know that we pay a lot for our Viking cruise and I know that we prepay gratuities but some folks we have met don't ever tip extra. Maybe I tip too much but I feel that they are not paid nearly as much as some people assume...and for me, giving $5 to my server and to my busperson in Manfredis is no big deal and if I get room service of course I'd give a couple of $. I think some folks don't realize the measly salaries that they make and the crew cabin conditions. Plus the hours they work!!! OMG! How many passengers realize that they work 4 (or more) months without a day off? We give $$$$extra to our steward and assistant. But, honestly, how many of us have worked 4 months straight with no day off???

Edited by stretchcruz

• 3 weeks later...

Another data point. During our Galley Tour on board the Sky, the Chef leading the tour could not have been more enthusiastic about Viking. he had just been promoted to a new position a promotion based on time and merit. I can't believe the pride in his accomplishment and joy in his presentation could have been faked for our tour and the one that followed that friends attended.

We had the private dining room in Manfredi's on our last cruise and so got a lot of time to talk to our assigned waiter. He said Viking was his third cruise line. First was an Asian line, second a British, and now Viking.

He said it was his favorite by far, and while any crew you ask on any line will tell you exactly that, he had a good reason. He said that the internet was free for them too so he could check in more frequently from the ship during breaks and didn't have to spend his off time on shore scouring for free internet around the port area, sitting shoulder to shoulder with other crew members trying to talk to family. That made him feel like he had a lot more free/down time and it made him happier.

Because I come from a Human Resources consulting background I was very interested in how Viking selected the staff for the Ocean Ships. The Customer Service Manager with whom I became well acquainted arranged for me to have coffee with the HR manager on the Star. He told me how they work closely with recruiting agencies around the world who know the kind of staff Viking is looking for and carefully screens them before they are sent to the ship for training. Generally they have 3-6 month contracts after which they get 6 weeks-2months off. They can then decide to “re-up” or not. He said they do have some turnover as the sea life isn’t for everyone but he said they expect that. There are incentives in place to help people get promoted. As someone who has worked in and with large and small companies I know you cannot force the kind of genuine kindness and customer service I experienced last September on the Star. They have to be treating their people well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently had a chat with one of the bartenders. He had worked for other cruise lines but liked Viking because, he said, it was better organized and, due to the high ratio of staff to guests, “more relaxed.” He also greatly appreciated not having to be constantly trying to sell stuff to guests. He said Viking makes it clear to staff that the typical Viking customer is not there for the ship; the ship is just the means to the destinations. So there’s no pressure on staff to upsell their guests.

The crew do work long hours, though, like the rest of the cruise industry. I don’t think I could do it.

No, I didn’t ask. I was more interested in the selection process because in my experience that is the hardest part of getting the right fit in a customer service industry. I talked to several staff who were on their third or fourth contact so Viking must be doing something right.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks...just wondering because of many differing opinions. My friends (very new cruisers) stated that the tips were included for everything because of the prepaid. We've been on over 50 cruises and in the beginning our tip directly to the cruise member was their salary. But on Viking we did the prepaid..then extra in Manfredis and to our room stewards. It's all so confusing!!!

If the cruise line has set up a "DSC" or "pre-paid gratuity" (and I really hate to call it a gratuity, 'cause it isnt'), then no further tipping is really required, nor expected, except if tips are added to drink charges, or to for-fee dining, but again, over what is automatically added is not required. It then becomes a matter of your decision as to whether a crew member did sufficiently premium service to rate an additional tip.

Things we have heard from several crew members on ( so far) two Ocean cruises: Viking provides free wifi for the crew. On other lines, these people far from home for MONTHS have to PAY to use the Internet. Also have heard on Ocean and River that Viking promotes from within. We had a great conversation with a waiter in the World Cafe, who said he started with Viking as an overnight dishwasher, and was not sure he'd be able to last out his first contract, much less sign another. But someone must have noticed how hard he worked without complaining, because he was offered a promotion for his next contract, and was excited about working his way up to Restaurant Manager in the fullness of time.

Our favorite River waiter was a Concierge the next time we encountered him!

And finally, we had $20 non refundable shipboard credit left at the very end of our Ocean cruise in January, and I asked if I could direct that money to the tip pool. Turns out ALL leftover non-refundable money left in passenger accts automatically goes to the tip pool.

So yes, Viking treats its people very well--and wow, does it show!

Most members here need to understand a very important fact here. Except for a few cruise ships flagged in American, the United States standards do not apply. You cannot look at the way things are done in the United States and what is normal and try to apply to other countries. Crews are treated as labor and workers, they have value to the company as long as they can preform the job they have been hired for. If they become ill or cannot perform they are replaced. While it may offend many here the crews are looked at as just another system on the ships.

They take a contract finish it and then go home. They take these jobs because they are better than other jobs offered. Not because they like the company or the passengers but because it is the best job they can get. The cruise lines are responsible to the shareholders as a shareholders we really do not care about crews, just that the job is done and the cost is as low as it can be.

My fellow Americans should really stop trying to impose US western values on other parts of the World.